****Justin Herbert Super Thread**** | Page 45 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

****Justin Herbert Super Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
All true except the question mark is his arm strength and by not showing off his arm he is all but admitting that he has a weaker arm in this class

Of course he stood the chance to lose money - but he all but conceded he doesn’t have a big arm by sitting out

lol no he did not. He had no reason to compete, and doesn’t have to put his arm on display to anybody. Why? Bc he’s the #1 pick written in pen

The only thing that could happen to his stock by participating is it go down. He doesn’t need to participate in the arm strength competition. He’s got nothing to answer to any team

Burrow's arm is fine.... He just does not have an arm that makes you go wow like Rodgers or Mahomes

But his arm is above average... He is a big kid and he gets the ball out quick... It is just silly to even talk about him not throwing.

All true except the question mark is his arm strength and by not showing off his arm he is all but admitting that he has a weaker arm in this class

Of course he stood the chance to lose money - but he all but conceded he doesn’t have a big arm by sitting out

When was the last time the top ranked QB threw at the combine? They wait for their schools Pro Day.

"The President of the Justin Herbert Fan Club"

Mike T. on ESPN this morning. There is no doubt in my mind he has been in Ross' ear telling him Herbert is the guy. He's probably blowing up Grier's phone, too.
Look out, Tua fan, Herbert may in fact be their guy.

Last edited:
Burrow has nothing to prove at the combine... He was the best player in college football last year... He is going to be a top 2 pick no matter what at this point.

Mike T. on ESPN this morning. There is no doubt in my mind he has been in Ross' ear telling him Herbert is the guy. He's probably blowing up Grier's phone, too.

Ross may take his calls but, given the circumstances, I doubt he and Grier are BFFs.

My point is you can't just judge stats from one season, especially college, and predict how someone will do in the pros. Even the best pro qbs have seasons that are medicocre or below average throughout their pro career. And many of the college qbs who put up the best numbers in college never even make it in the pros. You have to look beyond stats.

Hey there, I'm an Oregon alum who has watched every minute that Justin Herbert played for the Ducks. As a kid, I loved Marino, which lead me to have the Dolphins as my favorite team through childhood. In the post-Marino era, my Dolphins fandom has faded (as there was never a geographic or family connection), but I still pay closer attention to the team than to most others and hope they can turn things around and take down the Patriots. Having said all that, the fact that Herbert is a possibility for Miami motivated me to go from occasionally lurking here, to registering and posting.

So here are some Herbert thoughts from someone who is admittedly biased, but also can provide some information/context that may not have been posted here yet. I've watched every snap Oregon has played during his career and digested tons of information (both reported and unreported) about the team. Here is my take on the typical narratives you see out there nationally:

- He has elite physical traits. The arm talent is indeed very high end. In his first appearance as a skinny true freshman (ugly loss to Pac-champ Washington team), you could see the ball explode off his hand. The arm is legit and natural, plus his ball placement and touch improved each year of his career. He has excellent movement skills for a man his size and will use his legs to keep the chains moving (his senior year they only turned him loose on designed runs in big games late in the season and it was very effective when they did). He's not Cam Newton running the ball, but he will use his legs effectively.

-He isn't full of swagger, so he can't lead a locker room full of men. This one is more complicated. He is a cerebral guy and naturally on the quiet side, so as a true Freshman, he was definitely not a vocal leader. The narrative took on a life of it's own though during his sophomore year, gaining a ton a steam and staying power in large part because his second head coach, Willie Taggart, decided to try and publicly motivate him to become a more vocal leader and called him out in the media. This was a dick move that probably hurt Herbert's stock; though he has said it was all good for him long term, because the questions helped him push himself to grow as a person and QB. The combination of it being something that a head coach put out in the public and there being some underlying truth, made this a bigger narrative than it would have been for other similar players with a less rah-rah leadership style (a guy like Jalen Hurts never has his leadership questioned, even though he is also very quiet).

If you're looking for outspoken swagger, he's definitely not your guy, but he was universally respected by his Oregon teammates and was the unquestioned leader of the Oregon offense the past two seasons, including during times when coaches weren't around like summer workouts. It is possible he is "too humble," as he definitely has a tendency to defer to experience, though people close to the program say he's been plenty confident around his teammates/coaches during his junior and senior seasons. It's possible being humble and realistic in public (like saying he doesn't know for sure that he's ready to start day one since he's never seen the speed of the nfl game) might not be a trait you want in an NFL qb...or you could say this is a guy who has found a way to be extremely successful facing every major challenge he's faced in his life (on and off the field, where he was a 4.0 student), so maybe having this realistic point of view is how he processes challenges effectively (basically what people who know him say in his defense).

- He was good, but not great at Oregon. Two things here as an Oregon fan:
1. I don't totally disagree with this characterization, though I don't think it's particularly meaningful in his evaluation. What matters is how good he was compared to how good the other guys (Burrow, Tua, Love) would have been in the same situation. Obviously it's very hard to say, though I think with Burrow in particular, there's a really good argument that he looked significantly worse than Herbert when he was in a similar, or better, situation than him in 2018 at LSU. Tua is harder because his situation has always been off the charts and his play has been consistently elite as well. I'll just mention that I love Tua's game and wouldn't take anyone over him without the injury concerns. With them, I think it's pretty complicated and I don't envy teams having to make future altering decisions in that situation. Herbert played in three different systems, had a pretty conservative head coach/OC his last two seasons, and played with some sub-standard receiving groups (next point).

2. When people say he wasn't as good as he "should have been" at Oregon, they are under-emphasizing how poorly the Ducks' receivers played, particularly in 2018, but in 2019 as well. Some of it was injuries and youth, but a lot was just lack of talent and mistakes. In 2018, Oregon receivers had 52 drops, which equates to a 14% drop rate. For comparison, I found a graphic on SEC drop rates for '18 and Bama was 4.5% (14 drops), which is elite, but gives you an idea how bad 52 drops truly is. There were 8 dropped touchdown passes among the 52 and coaches said it was over 800 yards of drops. Now obviously, you expect some drops, so you wouldn't just add 800 yards and 8 TD's to his season stats, but it probably wouldn't be far off that with a normal drop rate, as many of those drops stopped drives and kept the team from scoring more points. In 2019, Oregon "only" had 35 drops, but that was still the most in the pac-12. In addition to all the drops, the Ducks receivers did not consistently get open, particularly against good defenses. When I think about what Justin Herbert would have looked like if he was throwing to guys like Chase, Jefferson, Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, etc., I know it would have been silly and I'm pretty sure everyone would be talking about how he's such a winner, rather than questioning his intangibles.

In the end, I think any of the top four quarterbacks could end up having the best career and I wouldn't really be surprised (though I admittedly have watched Love far less than the other three). I do think Herbert is an excellent prospect, but as I said above, I love Tua's game as well, so if the Fins go with either one, I'll be very excited for the team's future.

I know this is a super long post and plenty of people won't bother to read it, but if you were one of the persistent ones who read all the way to the end, I hope it was worth your time. If you have any questions about Hebert from an Oregon perspective, feel free to ask.

Hey there, I'm an Oregon alum who has watched every minute that Justin Herbert played for the Ducks. As a kid, I loved Marino, which lead me to have the Dolphins as my favorite team through childhood. In the post-Marino era, my Dolphins fandom has faded (as there was never a geographic or family connection), but I still pay closer attention to the team than to most others and hope they can turn things around and take down the Patriots. Having said all that, the fact that Herbert is a possibility for Miami motivated me to go from occasionally lurking here, to registering and posting.

So here are some Herbert thoughts from someone who is admittedly biased, but also can provide some information/context that may not have been posted here yet. I've watched every snap Oregon has played during his career and digested tons of information (both reported and unreported) about the team. Here is my take on the typical narratives you see out there nationally:

- He has elite physical traits. The arm talent is indeed very high end. In his first appearance as a skinny true freshman (ugly loss to Pac-champ Washington team), you could see the ball explode off his hand. The arm is legit and natural, plus his ball placement and touch improved each year of his career. He has excellent movement skills for a man his size and will use his legs to keep the chains moving (his senior year they only turned him loose on designed runs in big games late in the season and it was very effective when they did). He's not Cam Newton running the ball, but he will use his legs effectively.

-He isn't full of swagger, so he can't lead a locker room full of men. This one is more complicated. He is a cerebral guy and naturally on the quiet side, so as a true Freshman, he was definitely not a vocal leader. The narrative took on a life of it's own though during his sophomore year, gaining a ton a steam and staying power in large part because his second head coach, Willie Taggart, decided to try and publicly motivate him to become a more vocal leader and called him out in the media. This was a dick move that probably hurt Herbert's stock; though he has said it was all good for him long term, because the questions helped him push himself to grow as a person and QB. The combination of it being something that a head coach put out in the public and there being some underlying truth, made this a bigger narrative than it would have been for other similar players with a less rah-rah leadership style (a guy like Jalen Hurts never has his leadership questioned, even though he is also very quiet).

If you're looking for outspoken swagger, he's definitely not your guy, but he was universally respected by his Oregon teammates and was the unquestioned leader of the Oregon offense the past two seasons, including during times when coaches weren't around like summer workouts. It is possible he is "too humble," as he definitely has a tendency to defer to experience, though people close to the program say he's been plenty confident around his teammates/coaches during his junior and senior seasons. It's possible being humble and realistic in public (like saying he doesn't know for sure that he's ready to start day one since he's never seen the speed of the nfl game) might not be a trait you want in an NFL qb...or you could say this is a guy who has found a way to be extremely successful facing every major challenge he's faced in his life (on and off the field, where he was a 4.0 student), so maybe having this realistic point of view is how he processes challenges effectively (basically what people who know him say in his defense).

1. I don't totally disagree with this characterization, though I don't think it's particularly meaningful in his evaluation. What matters is how good he was compared to how good the other guys (Burrow, Tua, Love) would have been in the same situation. Obviously it's very hard to say, though I think with Burrow in particular, there's a really good argument that he looked significantly worse than Herbert when he was in a similar, or better, situation than him in 2018 at LSU. Tua is harder because his situation has always been off the charts and his play has been consistently elite as well. I'll just mention that I love Tua's game and wouldn't take anyone over him without the injury concerns. With them, I think it's pretty complicated and I don't envy teams having to make future altering decisions in that situation. Herbert played in three different systems, had a pretty conservative head coach/OC his last two seasons, and played with some sub-standard receiving groups (next point).

2. When people say he wasn't as good as he "should have been" at Oregon, they are under-emphasizing how poorly the Ducks' receivers played, particularly in 2018, but in 2019 as well. Some of it was injuries and youth, but a lot was just lack of talent and mistakes. In 2018, Oregon receivers had 52 drops, which equates to a 14% drop rate. For comparison, I found a graphic on SEC drop rates for '18 and Bama was 4.5% (14 drops), which is elite, but gives you an idea how bad 52 drops truly is. There were 8 dropped touchdown passes among the 52 and coaches said it was over 800 yards of drops. Now obviously, you expect some drops, so you wouldn't just add 800 yards and 8 TD's to his season stats, but it probably wouldn't be far off that with a normal drop rate, as many of those drops stopped drives and kept the team from scoring more points. In 2019, Oregon "only" had 35 drops, but that was still the most in the pac-12. In addition to all the drops, the Ducks receivers did not consistently get open, particularly against good defenses. When I think about what Justin Herbert would have looked like if he was throwing to guys like Chase, Jefferson, Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, etc., I know it would have been silly and I'm pretty sure everyone would be talking about how he's such a winner, rather than questioning his intangibles.

In the end, I think any of the top four quarterbacks could end up having the best career and I wouldn't really be surprised (though I admittedly have watched Love far less than the other three). I do think Herbert is an excellent prospect, but as I said above, I love Tua's game as well, so if the Fins go with either one, I'll be very excited for the team's future.

I know this is a super long post and plenty of people won't bother to read it, but if you were one of the persistent ones who read all the way to the end, I hope it was worth your time. If you have any questions about Hebert from an Oregon perspective, feel free to ask.

Good summary - agree with just about all of it.

About as good of a quality first post as you will see. Nice read and great perspective.

So I just read a tidbit in a Peter King column that Justin Herbert’s QB coach happens to be former Dolphins 2nd round draft pick John Beck. Interesting.

Apparently Herbert and Beck were in a hotel conference room in Indy throwing passes at 9:30 on Wednesday night before his big day on Thursday. Security walked up and asked him if he was there for the “football thing” and when they said yes they were allowed to finish their session of about 50 throws.

Pretty cool

So I just read a tidbit in a Peter King column that Justin Herbert’s QB coach happens to be former Dolphins 2nd round draft pick John Beck. Interesting.

Apparently Herbert and Beck were in a hotel conference room in Indy throwing passes at 9:30 on Wednesday night before his big day on Thursday. Security walked up and asked him if he was there for the “football thing” and when they said yes they were allowed to finish their session of about 50 throws.

Pretty cool
Explains a lot actually

Great post. Thanks for the insight. The lone issue I have with Herbert was his mental makeup. Not sure where the "lack of love for the game" talk started but admittedly, I found myself caught up in that. However, the large amount of reading and watching him and how hard he works at improving himself clearly shows that talk appears to be a bunch of nonsense. I was hoping that Miami would do what they had to do to move up to acquire Tua but I'm growing more comfortable with staying at 5 and let the draft fall to them. If Tua is gone before 5 so be it. They can draft Herbert and not sacrifice their draft capital.

Last edited:
Glad some of you appreciated the post. I saw the mention of Hebert working with a qb coach during the pre-draft process. I think it's worth mentioning in this day and age of private qb coaches working with kids in high school or even sooner, this is the first time Justin has ever worked with a quarterback coach other than those on his teams. The times he does have accuracy issues, they are almost always footwork related, so that's the kind of thing specialized coaching could improve.

I'll stand behind and root for whichever QB they select from day one.

I have my personal preference (Tua), but I am no expert and these things are a crapshoot. I just want an elite franchise QB. Don't really care who he is at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom