****Justin Herbert Super Thread**** | Page 69 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

****Justin Herbert Super Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Herbert is an intriguing prospect because even though he is a talented thrower the coaching staff at Oregon never consistently played to his strengths. You wonder if the coaching staff had to limit the play calling because he (or other young players) couldn’t handle a more complex system or if Cristobal is a Gase style coach who simply runs his system regardless of player fit. Their loss vs Arizona State had arguably some of the worst play calling I have seen until they let Herbert rip it and they got back into the game.

I will say the stat about him being terrible under pressure is kind of misleading...all QBs in the NFL are bad under pressure right in their face. In watching him play this season I noticed there seemed to be a lot of OL/RB miscommunication in pass pro because guys were getting free shots at him multiple times a game.

There are definitely some question marks surrounding Herbert. Hopefully our staff did their due diligence and then some (which seems likely since we’ve had scouts at Oregon games for at least 2 years). Personally, I think Tua is the QB we want and Herbert is the fallback guy if things don’t go in our favor draft day.
Great post. That Arizona State game was definitely difficult to watch if you are a fan of Herbert. but I appreciate your analysis.

When you think about what prospects were helped most by their coaching staffs its Burrow, Tua and Hurts. Certainly not Herbert or Love.

I can’t help shake the feeling that Herbert will forever be the Run when he should Have passed deep guy, and Passed short when he should have run deep guy

Good article.

It just reinforces ones opinion of the prospect. I'm not a big fan of his and will not pawn off his deficiencies to system or coaching.

He reminds me of a poor mans Josh Allen in Buffalo.

Good article.

It just reinforces ones opinion of the prospect. I'm not a big fan of his and will not pawn off his deficiencies to system or coaching.

He reminds me of a poor mans Josh Allen in Buffalo.

I’m not sure what to think of him. Historically, all prospects have questions, some more than others. No doubt if Tua was healthy, h’ed be the number one overall prospect, but he could end up like Sam Bradford if you remember him. Bradford was injured in college, and then ended up having a short NFL career that ended due to injury. Burrow looks good, but seems like he may have some limitations with his arm. What kind of offense will he run? Will it be dink and dunk like Alex Smith? Or is he more like Tom Brady? Will Justin Herbert be like Joey Harrington, or could he be like Ben Rothlesberger? Will Jordan Love ever put it together? If he does, he could be like Aaron Rodgers or even Mahomes, or he could be like Jamis Winston? He seems smarter to me than Winston though.

You just never know until they get in the league, and then so much of it depends on fit, and supporting cast, coaching, system, etc.. Here, any of these guys would have a year or so to learn the system and wouldn’t be thrown in right away. I just don’t think any of them are worth trading up for and am happy if we stay at 5 and get one of them as I don’t think too many other teams if any will actually trade in front of us for one of these QBs, but that opinion of mine is well known as I have been repeating it in various threads over and over.

It's a fascinating situation because I'm hearing more and more "reports" that NFL evaluators have Herbert a lot higher (and yes, often higher than Tua) than the draft nicks and media would have him.

...and its likely Herbert wont cost you picks to get him. If Tua and Burrow are gone by 5 and the Chargers werent one of them, I could see a team like Jax or Vegas trading up for Herbert before the Chargers get him if they arent sold on Love.

You just never know until they get in the league, and then so much of it depends on fit, and supporting cast, coaching, system, etc..

Football is indeed the ultimate TEAM game -- and a big part of the team is coaching, system, etc.

Goes for college and certainly in the NFL... Being in the right place at the right time is critical for most players
because very very few are essentially a 1 man TEAM.

Hard to know what you'd have if you plugged Herbert into 'bama and Tua into Oregon -- but it would definitely
impact both players in a significant way IMO.

It's reasonable that Herbert could prove to be the best PRO in the group if he lands in the perfect situation.
But it's also reasonable to project his game will falter at the next level. No guarantees. But the kid is loaded
with upside and has a monster set of skills to work with.

Of course it's still possible Tua will prove to be the head of the class, but he seems to be 1 hit away from
the end of his career... Or, as some call it, a "freak accident" -- also known as getting tackled.

I 1000% agree. Neither are worth trading up for given the ridiculous price tag folks throw around.

Stay at 5 and we'll thrive!

Last edited:
I can’t help shake the feeling that Herbert will forever be the Run when he should Have passed deep guy, and Passed short when he should have run deep guy
I hear what you are saying. No question, there are some concerns there. I can see why it would be a tough evaluation for NFL teams. I am sold on both Burrow and Tua. After that, it's a question of potential and what NFL coaching staffs can do with Herbert, Love, Hurts etc.

Lack of costing picks has significant value. We can beef up the OL.
However, others will say you trade up for a franchise QB.
As I think it is difficult to know bust (remember Manning vs Leaf). Therefore I go with sentence 1.

...and its likely Herbert wont cost you picks to get him. If Tua and Burrow are gone by 5 and the Chargers werent one of them, I could see a team like Jax or Vegas trading up for Herbert before the Chargers get him if they arent sold on Love.

Bargain bin shopping. This is clearly the way to approach the QB position.

I’m not sure what to think of him. Historically, all prospects have questions, some more than others. No doubt if Tua was healthy, h’ed be the number one overall prospect, but he could end up like Sam Bradford if you remember him. Bradford was injured in college, and then ended up having a short NFL career that ended due to injury. Burrow looks good, but seems like he may have some limitations with his arm. What kind of offense will he run? Will it be dink and dunk like Alex Smith? Or is he more like Tom Brady? Will Justin Herbert be like Joey Harrington, or could he be like Ben Rothlesberger? Will Jordan Love ever put it together? If he does, he could be like Aaron Rodgers or even Mahomes, or he could be like Jamis Winston? He seems smarter to me than Winston though.

You just never know until they get in the league, and then so much of it depends on fit, and supporting cast, coaching, system, etc.. Here, any of these guys would have a year or so to learn the system and wouldn’t be thrown in right away. I just don’t think any of them are worth trading up for and am happy if we stay at 5 and get one of them as I don’t think too many other teams if any will actually trade in front of us for one of these QBs, but that opinion of mine is well known as I have been repeating it in various threads over and over.

As a previous poster mentioned about Tua, hes still got baby fat. Hes still growing into his man body.

I understand what your saying about Herbert.

I'm just not sold on the player.

And Jordan Love? I think he is more a case of trying to see a Mahomes or whatever as opposed to a project that may be out of the league in 4 years.

That's the thing outside of Tua and Burrow, I have zero faith in anyone else. I understand there maybe a Minshew or something like that somewhere.

When it's all said and done. We will either be on our way to building a winner. Or we will be back here with alot of I told you so and redrafting a QB in 3 years.

See if you can live with these weaknesses . . .
  • Can be inaccurate
  • Poor ball placement
  • Ball security; throws too many interceptions
  • Field vision
  • Working through progressions
  • Will need to learn working under center
  • Will need to learn working a NFL huddle
  • Will need to improve footwork
  • Prone to throwing too high
  • Can stare down his primary read

Oh, I forgot to mention, that list came from Deshaun watson's draft scouting report

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom