Kadarius Toney | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kadarius Toney

I really think Toney is an upgraded version of Deonte Harris with some Percy Harvin in him. The biggest thing that makes him a fit for our offense is again Tua's style of play and Toney's incredible lateral quickness, route running which translates to making plays in space and creating a ton of space off the line of scrimmage. Toney will be special and his ability to create separation from DB's cannot be understated. Other than injury separation and YAC was the biggest problem for our receiving core and he fills that need.

The other thing that drops Toney is the character questions. He will have to answer team questions about why he had a loaded AR 15 in the back seat of his car. Gainesville police declined to press charges but there were reports he was on the way to a gang fight. I heard of at least one other incident where he was allegedly pointing an airsoft gun at somebody on campus. Again that was related to suspected gang relationships. That could give teams some 'Aaron Hernandez vibes'.

I find that still a bit rich considering our other needs, I would personally go Pitts, Smith/Chase/Waddle (trading down and up), then go RB, Edge, LB or C with pick 36. 50 is where I would use the next pick for a WR too many other options on the board for me to want to take a complimentary piece like Toney is, you don't run your whole offense through him. I doubt he will be there at 50 so I would probably look towards one of the other slot guys, and there's plenty of them in this class I feel.

Having said that if they did take Toney at 36, I wouldn't cry a river, as long as they've also brought in other pieces, like I said he's not the type to fix all our problems by himself.
It depends how teams view him. Is Toney a starter in the slot, or just a gadget player? I don't have the answer there, but like his talent.

It depends how teams view him. Is Toney a starter in the slot, or just a gadget player? I don't have the answer there, but like his talent.

Great point, at UF, he was very much the latter until about midway through 2019 when he started making giant strides. He's not had a great set of practices in mobile, dropped his fair share of balls there, that's not going to help either. Feel he needs to flash on Saturday. I'll root for him though (unlesss he goes to somewhere other than Miami in the AFCE), he's got all the talent in the world and if he can land in the right situation could become a major star in the league.

Great point, at UF, he was very much the latter until about midway through 2019 when he started making giant strides. He's not had a great set of practices in mobile, dropped his fair share of balls there, that's not going to help either. Feel he needs to flash on Saturday. I'll root for him though (unlesss he goes to somewhere other than Miami in the AFCE), he's got all the talent in the world and if he can land in the right situation could become a major star in the league.
He does remind me of the type of player New England used to have success with in the middle rounds of the draft.

Not saying Toney is a middle rounder. You've seen him play a lot more than I have. To me, I feel he's an upgrade from the likes of Bowden and Perry.

Do you see the same thing?

He does remind me of the type of player New England used to have success with in the middle rounds of the draft.

Not saying Toney is a middle rounder. You've seen him play a lot more than I have. To me, I feel he's an upgrade from the likes of Bowden and Perry.

Do you see the same thing?

That's exactly what I see right now, maybe he has a higher ceiling though than both those players because he could be a lot more than that. You felt he could have done with another year under Mullen at UF (not possible as he was a senior) as in all honesty the years he spent with McElwain and his offence were wasted. Getting somewhere where they know how to utilise his unlike skill set is so important, no idea if that's us yet since we don't have an OC.

That's exactly what I see right now, maybe he has a higher ceiling though than both those players because he could be a lot more than that. You felt he could have done with another year under Mullen at UF (not possible as he was a senior) as in all honesty the years he spent with McElwain and his offence were wasted. Getting somewhere where they know how to utilise his unlike skill set is so important, no idea if that's us yet since we don't have an OC.
Need to find a creative OC. Interesting that Miami still hasn't filled that spot. Could it be they have someone from KC in mind? I thought maybe Ken Dorsey was a target, but I think that would have happened already.

The other thing that drops Toney is the character questions. He will have to answer team questions about why he had a loaded AR 15 in the back seat of his car. Gainesville police declined to press charges but there were reports he was on the way to a gang fight. I heard of at least one other incident where he was allegedly pointing an airsoft gun at somebody on campus. Again that was related to suspected gang relationships. That could give teams some 'Aaron Hernandez vibes'.
Yeah, the 3YPC podcast talked about this the other day. With the depth at WR in this draft it could really hurt him.

I think Toney would be ok in the Jakeem Grant role, but I'm not sure he should be you number 1, 2 or 3 wr. Seems like more of depth, gadget, special teams threat. Could see him running some bubble screens and shallow drag routes.
I don't think the 1 - 3 WR "thing" is really a thing anymore. Offenses how have groupings...heavy, hurry up, etc. There is a place on the offense for a guy like this...Toney, Shi Smith, Eli Moore, Cade Johnson, Eskridge, etc. These guys can line up in the backfield, go in motion, etc.

No thanks to Butterfingers Toney. We already have Butterfingers Grant.

He did have a lot of drops at the Senior Bowl practice. He was getting open well enough but then he would drop them.

Back
Top Bottom