Karras, Van Noy, Godcheux, how do we let them walk? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Karras, Van Noy, Godcheux, how do we let them walk?

This is opinion only from reading various articles for the past two years. In looking why we have lost veterans is due to their challenging Flores and his coaching staff. This is what veteran players bring to to the table, informal leadership which Flores does not like. You challenged Flores, you are gone. I think some of the debacles in our 7 game loosing streak revealed the lack of informal leaders within the team. The abundance of coaches leaving Flores is also problematic for example the OL coach we have with no experience.

Not making the playoffs is the price to be paid for waiting on young players to step up...
But, our young replacements for these guys are growing into solid if not very good players.
Dieter, Van Ginkel and R.Davis and Seiler have really successfully replaced those guys you mentioned. It just took them a minute and may have cost us a game earlier in the season. But having Brissett at QB was going to doom us anyway. None of those guys were Offensive Tackles or WRs so who cares.

IMO, those guy's were plugs for holes on last years team, Fat Boy Tuna used to call them "progress stoppers". It is Flores fault and his coaches are failures to this point for not getting better ones, anyone can see that. Didn't Van Noy make noise about being brought in to be a leader on D after he re-signed? I thought he bloviated about "that's not his game". Good riddance to all of them.

Bloviated, I haven't heard that word used since Freshman English in High School and that was almost 60 years ago. Great time to use it though when discussing KVN from last year. Mrs. Durak would have been very proud of you. Sure gave me a good morning laugh and a long remembered thought of a truly great and inspiring teacher. As Hope would say, "Thanks For the Memories."

Trading Ereck Flowers was the true dumb move, as he’s legitimately developed into a good starting NFL caliber guard
I agree. Van Noy would have been behind Van Ginkel. VG is a better pass rusher and better in coverage and about even setting the edge. Van Noy would have been a ridiculously expensive back-up who provided good leadership. Godcheux was also expensive and not an ideal fit. I like him but it was time to move on. Keeping Flowers would have been the right move since it cost us to get rid of him. In general I just think we needed some vets to supplement the youth on the OL. That youth coupled with an inexperienced OL coach was a poor combination.

When you look at the 7 game losing streak, only the losses to the Jaguars and Falcons stand out as games the Dolphins should have possibly won. The three losses while Brissett was the starting QB makes sense because he isn’t very good and it is difficult for any NFL team to win with their backup QB in the NFL.

The two losses to the Bills were expected by most of us because the Bills just have the Dolphins number at this time. They should have beat the Jaguars but upsets happens. Just like the Jaguars turned around and beat the Bills two weeks after beating the Dolphins. That’s the NFL.

The Dolphins scored 28 points against the Falcons but the defense played its worst game of the season and gave up 30 points. Again, it happens and dwelling on the 7 game losing streak is useless.

it is just nice to see that the Dolphins have won their last 5 in a row and they didn’t completely collapse when they were 1-7. They still have a possibility of making the playoffs and very few people gave them any chance when they were 1-7 of being a playoff team this year.

So I will just relax and see how the next 4 games unfold and be happy that this team didn’t go 1-16 this year, whether they make the playoffs or not.

What caused the turnaround then? Same players, same coaches. Overnight just go from 32nd to tops? And who do you believe was responsible for the defense in the first 7 games if not the coaches?

There were grumblings coming out from players about how they didn't like the scheme, didn't trust Flo, couldn't approach Flo, Flo was losing some of the players, etc, then the other info came out about a meeting the players had, and it was stated by an ex-player announcer during our game's live broadcast.

Too much smoke.
A lot of it is our coaches (Flo?) started putting players where they should have been in the first place, instead trying to force good players out if their comfort zones. He moves Baker back to OLB and rushing the QB and guarding the edge. And they put Phillips back at DE where he belongs to name 2 major changes.

That’s just it, Miami could have used Karras for depth for when the injuries hit.
Karras obviously didn’t want to return to Miami and wanted to return to New England. The Dolphins weren’t interested in signing him for a lot of money because it’s obvious they wanted Dieter to be their backup center this season. They signed Skura thinking he would be their starter. Unfortunately Skura didn’t pan out, even though he a better center over the years than Karras has been.

Skura had been a pro bowl center just a few years ago while Karras had been a backup most of his career in New England. So signing Skura instead of Karras prior to the season certainly looked like an upgrade at the center position at the time.

Poor coaching on the defensive side?.....NO
For the first 8 games of the season, yes, it’s was on both sides of the ball. But you make a valid point. The D is just fine without those guys right now. Seeing Karras get props last night was particularly painful, though.

Karras obviously didn’t want to return to Miami and wanted to return to New England. The Dolphins weren’t interested in signing him for a lot of money because it’s obvious they wanted Dieter to be their backup center this season. They signed Skura thinking he would be their starter. Unfortunately Skura didn’t pan out, even though he a better center over the years than Karras has been.

Skura had been a pro bowl center just a few years ago while Karras had been a backup most of his career in New England. So signing Skura instead of Karras prior to the season certainly looked like an upgrade at the center position at the time.
Skura was a big if with all his snapping issues, no one was expecting him to be a upgrade.

Flo doesn't judge success on wins or losses he only cares about how many positions he can cross-train every player

Godcheaux was not a schematic fit for Flores. I'd much rather KVN playing opposite Phillips, but money matters, they saved 15M. Kara's was a stupid release due to his C/G versatility, but they saved 3M. I rather have vets than cap rollover, but money has been tight since beginning of planned-demic.

Skura was a big if with all his snapping issues, no one was expecting him to be a upgrade.
The Dolphins were obviously expecting him to be an upgrade because they decided to sign him instead of Karras. In fact after they signed Skura, there were several posters who expressed that they thought he was a big upgrade over Karras.

So you stating that ”no one“ expected him to be an upgrade just isn’t factual. That might be your opinion but it certainly wasn’t the majority opinion when they signed Skura.

As for me, I wanted the Dolphins to draft one of the top centers in the 2021 draft. I really knew nothing about Skura before they signed him and only looked him up after his signing. I still feel that upgrading the center position is a big need this off season. Deiter is okay but not the long term answer at center, IMO.

When you look at the 7 game losing streak, only the losses to the Jaguars and Falcons stand out as games the Dolphins should have possibly won. The three losses while Brissett was the starting QB makes sense because he isn’t very good and it is difficult for any NFL team to win with their backup QB in the NFL.

The two losses to the Bills were expected by most of us because the Bills just have the Dolphins number at this time. They should have beat the Jaguars but upsets happens. Just like the Jaguars turned around and beat the Bills two weeks after beating the Dolphins. That’s the NFL.

The Dolphins scored 28 points against the Falcons but the defense played its worst game of the season and gave up 30 points. Again, it happens and dwelling on the 7 game losing streak is useless.

it is just nice to see that the Dolphins have won their last 5 in a row and they didn’t completely collapse when they were 1-7. They still have a possibility of making the playoffs and very few people gave them any chance when they were 1-7 of being a playoff team this year.

So I will just relax and see how the next 4 games unfold and be happy that this team didn’t go 1-16 this year, whether they make the playoffs or not.
This team has been playing the past few games how many of us expected them to play all year. It’s like they finally found themselves. I was so excited to see Tua based on the training camp reports. You could hear the growth just from those that were watching practice and basically he is sh0wing it on the field now.

It was so frustrating when he got knocked out of the buffalo game. Anyways, I feel like things are on track now and continue to enjoy watching Tua’s growth. Future is bright, let’s just fix the Oline, add a real running back and another WR or two who isn’t on IR, resign Ogbah and Geiseicki and we will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom