Kdawg's Extremely Early 2018 Dolphins Roster/Cap Projections | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kdawg's Extremely Early 2018 Dolphins Roster/Cap Projections

Thank you so much for doing this Kdawg, being English I don't understand the whole salary cap thing, it's way too complex but I've learned a lot about where we stand reading your summary, so that's much appreciated.

No prob.

The main thing to take away is:

I signed ZERO free agents. I only kept our own. I did that because Miami needs to buy a year on relying on the young talent they have brought in from the 16 to 18 drafts while contracts from Suh/Branch/Alonso run its course. This team will have more than 50% of the roster on rookie deals. Crazy that the cap situation is still not ideal but if they can have success with this group it would do wonders for the cap in the near future.

Teams just are not giving up quality players anymore. Too much money out there. So if a player is allowed to test FA, either the team has eaten off FAs recently and have a really bad cap or that player just isn't very good. You are unlikely to find gold in FA, not anymore at least.

On every contract I did . . . look at the signing bonus and the guaranteed base from the first 2 years. Those are the important numbers. If we keep a guy for 2 years and cut him . . . add up the final 3 years of that signing bonus and that is your dead cap hit . . . which can be split if we make that player a June 1st cut.

So if We cut Landry after 2 years. $9 million would be dead cap . . . can be split at 4.5 for 2 years . . . . and his deal would essentially be 2 years/$31 million.

I originally thought they would look to bring Fasano back, especially if they strike out on a TE, I saw were he said its 50/50 that he may retire. He is concerned about all the concussions he has had over his career.

Man thanks for putting the time to write this up OP. Unless I missed it I didn't notice that you included any FA players/position that we could possibly tackle and add to the roster.

Also, I seriously doubt 5 QBs go in the top 10. Has that happen in recent years? I'm banking teams will think the position is deep and they can get someone in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

After watching how Jimmy G, Wentz and Goff have turned around franchises . . . I think teams who don't have a QB will be doing their best to take one this year. At least 4 are gone . . . somebody will roll the dice on Lamar as well.

Man I saw the FA class . . . I didn't like anybody LOL.

Good writeup. I see you put a lot of thought into this. I dont hope all this happens, but i wouldnt be surprised of it did.

I originally thought they would look to bring Fasano back, especially if they strike out on a TE, I saw were he said its 50/50 that he may retire. He is concerned about all the concussions he has had over his career.

Yep . . . would love if he gave it one more year to help with our young guys, but you could be spot on.

Virgil Green could be another option. Gase has familiarity with him and he should come relatively cheap in FA. Athletic guy and a really good blocker.

So no QB for you in round 1?

Hayes is the one guy where I feel I could be wrong when it comes to FA, but now 33 coming off injured reserve and he asked to be let out of a contract that was already giving him $5 million. Miami shouldn't offer that at all, it should be less all things considered. He will be rotational. No sure if his humility will see him take it.

I am gambling with Tannehill but this new contract is also gotta be laced with knee injury provisions that get Miami out of the deal. Miami benefits greatly if they get a fully healthy Tannehill and truthfully it looks huge . . . it's not that much different from what he is already making.

The Parkey deal is easily cuttable after 1 year, let alone 3. Stop looking at the years, its all about the guarantees and at most how it affects the cap for the next 2 years.

Juice's total guaranteed money would be $31 million as well . . . roughly 50% of the deal. It's a very good deal for him if he isn't worried about AAV. A good agent will let him know that.

Not unless he has a hell of a good bullrush. Our DE group scares the life out of me

Not unless he has a hell of a good bullrush. Our DE group scares the life out of me

The draft would add Chad Thomas and Charles Harris is a first rounder from 2017. Wake as a part time pass rusher is still above average. Malveaux certainly showed some signs in a 5th DE role.

I think your main concern is Andre Branch at this point. But I saw where he really battled with injuries this year and still did his best to play through it. He didn't have a good year. Even if we just get the 2016 version . . . that DE group is capable enough. Don't forget we throw Suh at DE as well.

Wow k dawg, great post! I will probably re-read this 5 or 10 times during the off season, definitely a good write up! I feel smarter than the average fan after reading this

Wow k dawg, great post! I will probably re-read this 5 or 10 times during the off season, definitely a good write up! I feel smarter than the average fan after reading this
You give kdawg too much credit lol jk good work kdawg

I very much like your plan of continuing to try to develop our young talent and not going out to break the bank in free agency. It would be pretty easy to get our salary cap back in good shape with just "buying a year" as you put it.

I think the key here will be if Grier can go find another 3-4 immediate upgrade starters like he's done the past couple of seasons. If he does that, the team should be able to buy time and still have a good season.

Will it happen? I have my doubts. I think Trader Mike wants another splash.

The draft would add Chad Thomas and Charles Harris is a first rounder from 2017. Wake as a part time pass rusher is still above average. Malveaux certainly showed some signs in a 5th DE role.

I think your main concern is Andre Branch at this point. But I saw where he really battled with injuries this year and still did his best to play through it. He didn't have a good year. Even if we just get the 2016 version . . . that DE group is capable enough. Don't forget we throw Suh at DE as well.

With Wake hitting pension age, Harris still developing (and being a speed guy) and Branch erm having talent limitations, I think getting a round DE (and it needs to be a physical one) who can make an impact straight away is really important.

We are awful in free agency and can't scout to save our lives, so I do agree with turning our focus away from that

Don't agree with all you have said, but overall a very interesting thread. cheers @Kdawg954

Love the write up and the pick.

You all know I want James, but he’s probably gonna be gone. Smith is a WLB, doubt he goes in the top 15. That ND guard is a freak. We need a G and I’m willing to be he’s the pick.

I don’t think Jefferson will make it into round 2, he’s just a damn good player whose athletic. Those are typically late 1st rounders. Foster was better than both this years top backers and he went low 1st, yes his off the field hurt him but he also plays MIKE. Way more important.

I very much like your plan of continuing to try to develop our young talent and not going out to break the bank in free agency. It would be pretty easy to get our salary cap back in good shape with just "buying a year" as you put it.

I think the key here will be if Grier can go find another 3-4 immediate upgrade starters like he's done the past couple of seasons. If he does that, the team should be able to buy time and still have a good season.

As long as the trade is a trade up for Derwin James then your boy will be happy LMAO.

I truly appreciate your hard work OP but you lost me when I read you wanted to keep Jay Cutler. No way he's on the roster even as a backup ... which he has recently stated he wouldn't do.

If I am gonna be honest . . . the guy who is sticking out like a sore thumb for Mike Tannenbaum is Trumaine Johnson. That is the one contract I am worried that he may try to take on. Big press CB, he has been dying to add an expensive CB like him or Sherman in the past and with LA on franchise tender number 2, they are likely not gonna make it #3.

Back
Top Bottom