Keep Sutain | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Keep Sutain

Va. dolphin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The Dolphins should keep Surtain. In all of the close games that the fins lost in the past. It was because the defense choked! Finally now we have some depth just like the Pats........so our defense won't miss a beat. Besides Madison is getting older. Who is to say that he doesn't get injured this year. Without Surtain where would we be?

Most of the games that we lost was our horrible offense. The defense did loss us about 2 games, but the offense and coaching lost the rest. I would love to keep Surtain, but this is business. We need to trade him so we can be about 5-8 million under the cap.

Va. dolphin said:
The Dolphins should keep Surtain. In all of the close games that the fins lost in the past. It was because the defense choked! Finally now we have some depth just like the Pats..Without Surtain where would we be?
Where have we gone with him? I think he`s a great corner, but if the price is right, ya gotta move him while you can still get something for him.

Yeah let's keep him and let him go for free next season.

PhinDude88 said:
Most of the games that we lost was our horrible offense. The defense did loss us about 2 games, but the offense and coaching lost the rest. I would love to keep Surtain, but this is business. We need to trade him so we can be about 5-8 million under the cap.

You need to look closer at our games...this defense, for years, has let this team down in critical situations. Over the last few years, there have been numerous games which we held a lead, however slim it may have been, and more often than not, the defense couldn't hold the opposing offense. The D needs improvement in both personnel and scheme...I don't think PS is one of the guys we need to upgrade at, but if he can get us a couple of better players (via draft or trade), so be it. He is at his prime and can fetch the best compensation. Also, he wants not only a mega signing bonus, he wants a 5-7 year contract. That type of management is just what got us into the situation we're in now...As much as I would be fine with keeping him, he has to go...just so that we can improve the rest of the team, beings that he plays perhaps our strongest area of players.

Why don't we sign him for 5-7 years, backload the hell of it, and have plenty of cap room this year? :confused:

Surtain won't screw us over like Ricky did.

greenflash01 said:
Why don't we sign him for 5-7 years, backload the hell of it, and have plenty of cap room this year? :confused:

Surtain won't screw us over like Ricky did.

Maybe because Surtain wants a lot up front in a bonus and wont sign a back loaded contract. Do you realise that it takes 2 people to agree toa contract, and an aging CB will not agree to a back loaded contract.

Va. dolphin said:
Without Surtain where would we be?

Don't know.

One thing I do know. With Surtain, Madison, Knight, Seau, Taylor, and Thomas' salaries we've been in ..............

CAP HELL

It's like the mullet or the afro, man. We had a good time but give it up. It's over.

Why don't we tag him twice until 07 when there's no cap?

canesfins13 said:
Maybe because Surtain wants a lot up front in a bonus and wont sign a back loaded contract. Do you realise that it takes 2 people to agree toa contract, and an aging CB will not agree to a back loaded contract.

My mind just wouldn't be able cope with the loss of Surtain. Does anyone know how much the contract is actually worth?

whatever the contract numbers are it doesn't really matter, the defense has holes in the line and lacks depth with the lbs (especially with a new scheme being implemented) you have to take your most valuable assets and maximize them (since he will fit your scheme but is not ideal for your scheme besides our cap sit and his contract demands) and thats not even addressing our Saftey situation, couple those things with the fact that we do not have a full arsenal of picks (thanks rick)means that we we dont
HAVE to trade surtain but its in best interest long term wise to do so now...i love this sport but i also understand its a business and a cold one at that..

HysterikiLL said:
Why don't we tag him twice until 07 when there's no cap?
there will most undoubtedly be a cap in 2007... they will get everything worked out in the 1 year+ that they have to get something right...

Surtain has been one of my favorites forever, but even I think it's time for him to go. ESPECIALLY if we can get a 2nd rounder back and free up all that cap room. Right now our team needs more than just one great corner, plus there is always the chance of grabbing another one later in the draft (remember, the great Sam Madison was a 6th rounder). And the defense letting us down in key situations is a valid point that many oerlook. Everyone just looks at it as we have a great D and yadda yadda, but a closer look does show that in key situations when we need a big stop, they fail, not always, but it does happen. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have our D over like 97% of the other Ds out there, but they aren't flawless. Think of how close most of our games last season were, and AVERAGE of 5 points. Now think of how many of those games came down to us needed a redzone stop and not getting it............

Agent51 said:
Surtain has been one of my favorites forever, but even I think it's time for him to go. ESPECIALLY if we can get a 2nd rounder back and free up all that cap room. Right now our team needs more than just one great corner, plus there is always the chance of grabbing another one later in the draft (remember, the great Sam Madison was a 6th rounder). And the defense letting us down in key situations is a valid point that many oerlook. Everyone just looks at it as we have a great D and yadda yadda, but a closer look does show that in key situations when we need a big stop, they fail, not always, but it does happen. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have our D over like 97% of the other Ds out there, but they aren't flawless. Think of how close most of our games last season were, and AVERAGE of 5 points. Now think of how many of those games came down to us needed a redzone stop and not getting it............

Valid point, but most of the games were only close to begin with because of the D-fense. If we had a more productive offense which didn't keep the D on the field all the time maybe the games wouldn't be close, maybe we'd spank um.
My2Cents

Back
Top Bottom