Keeping Fiedler to assure a #1 pick next year? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Keeping Fiedler to assure a #1 pick next year?

phinphanbill

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm one for getting rid of Jay Fiedler sooner rather than later. In fact, I'd like to see the Phins jump on Philip Rivers if he is available at #20 (do not trade up to get him) and make it a Rivers/Feeley competition in camp. So, I was thinking...

One of the conditions in the AJ Feeley trade is that we surrender a 2nd rounder unless Feeley takes 80% of the snaps next year...then it becomes a 1st rounder. (There are other conditions.)

Do you think we are planning to start Fiedler the first quarter (or so) of the season next year and then turn the team over to Feeley later in order to prevent the 2nd round pick of becoming a first round pick in the '05 draft?

I understand that the objective is to win now and the better QB should win the competition. But, with Wanny's affection for Jay, do you think Spielman may be saying in his mind, "Go ahead Dave, start Jay at the beginning of the season. It's your neck on the line, not mine. Besides it will give me more ammunition in next year's draft."

Crafty thinking on the front office's part or not?

I think this team is out of time and values winning now more than jockeying for draft positon in the future. One loss can mean the diffference between making the playoffs or missing them again.

Originally posted by phinphanbill
Do you think we are planning to start Fiedler the first quarter (or so) of the season next year and then turn the team over to Feeley later in order to prevent the 2nd round pick of becoming a first round pick in the '05 draft?
Thats usually about the time Feidler gets injured anyways.

I'd like to see what Feeley would have to do for us to give up our #1 pick next year. It better not be a 3,000 yard 20 TD season. I'll be pissed if it is. It Bteer be like 3700, 24 TD season and a Pro Bowl selection.

no way ! Wanne is gone if we do not have a much better year in 2004, i.e. maybe a home playoff game. Spielman needs to prove his deserves to be GM. They cannot mess around w/this IMO

I just read a Dolphin Digest article "Through the Pipeline" over at phins.com and it stated that the Feeley trade was a conditional 3rd rounder. Maybe it will become clearer at the news conference today.

I can't believe that the pick can be a 1st round pick..wow

Ozzy rules!! and my 1000 post at last...lol

the thinking is that getting Feeley here in 2004 for a 2nd rder in 2005 is like trading a 2004 3rd rder and if we gave up a 2005 1st rder it w/b as if we traded Philly a 2004 2nd rd'er. That is what the thinking was for the trades we made to get Pat and Morlon

P.S. Danny congrats on 1000
:allhail:

Back
Top Bottom