Kelly: A Multi-Year Deal For Dalvin Cook Needs To Be What Dolphins Offer | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kelly: A Multi-Year Deal For Dalvin Cook Needs To Be What Dolphins Offer

Brother we finished 25th in the league in rushing overall.

:ffic:

Allow me to clarify some football fundamentals.
1) Football is a team sport!
2) Good offences co-ordinate play calling and the play of the offensive line with the backfield on runs and with receivers on passes.
3) Individual performance of runners is HIGHLY dependent of how a game is called and the performance of the offensive line.

Now that the basics of the game have been explained, let me ask you how you can compare the performance of running backs without taking play calling and the effectiveness of the offensive line into consideration?

Yards per carry is a result of the play called, the performance of the offensive line on that play and the running backs skill.

When you compare players on different teams' YPC, you need to include the effects of the teams play calling and OL performances, or you end up either overstating or understating a player's performance.

When one player is on a top ten offense (which includes play calling, OL performance and many other things) and the other player in on a team with a bottom ten offense, then their YPC stats are overstated while the other players YPC stats are understated, leaving a huge "discontinuity" in the real value of YPC as a useful comparison.

See what I am saying? - LOL

Allow me to clarify some football fundamentals.
1) Football is a team sport!
2) Good offences co-ordinate play calling and the play of the offensive line with the backfield on runs and with receivers on passes.
3) Individual performance of runners is HIGHLY dependent of how a game is called and the performance of the offensive line.

Now that the basics of the game have been explained, let me ask you how you can compare the performance of running backs without taking play calling and the effectiveness of the offensive line into consideration?

Yards per carry is a result of the play called, the performance of the offensive line on that play and the running backs skill.

When you compare players on different teams' YPC, you need to include the effects of the teams play calling and OL performances, or you end up either overstating or understating a player's performance.

When one player is on a top ten offense (which includes play calling, OL performance and many other things) and the other player in on a team with a bottom ten offense, then their YPC stats are overstated while the other players YPC stats are understated, leaving a huge "discontinuity" in the real value of YPC as a useful comparison.

See what I am saying? - LOL
I am hoping that Coach McDaniel does a better job of mixing it up.

I am hoping that Coach McDaniel does a better job of mixing it up.
I think one has to take things in context.

We were running out a very makeshift line at times, while having a dynamic passing game. I'm positive there were times when he simply had less faith in the run game.

Not only that, it's not like our defense was getting much in the way of turnovers, or stopping long drives. We were rarely able to attempt to "burn clock" for extended periods.

Zuckerberg, etc.... are raking in great wads of cash so ppl can behave 5 yr olds.

While, it may be temporarily cathartic to vent. I can't help but think of the old adage about the difference between a wise man & fool.
People behaved like 5 year olds sometimes long before Zuckerberg and such.

Hopefully McD learns to lean on the run game more. We’ll need it in bad weather games and keep the defense off the field.

We were great in yards per play but horrible on 3rd down conversion rate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom