Kelly Butler | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kelly Butler

oodolphins

Starter
Reaction score
KELLY BUTLER is an offensive tackle from PURDUE. He is listed at 6'7" tall and weighs about 335.

He is expected to go in the 3rd round. I really like this guy. I keep reading that he is a "high character guy" that can play the position. I don't know about you guys, but I like the "high character guys." I don't know about him starting this year, but I like what I read about him.

Any thoughts?

Also, I know this has been talked about, but if ANDREWS (not sold on him yet) is not there at 20, I hope we get the chance to trade down enough to get a 2nd round pick to add to our draft.

MiamiDolphins

Kelly is rawer then most prospect, but not at a loss of potential/talent.

He's a junior, and while alot of people thought he'd benefit alot from another year of college ball, he'll definately still be a day 1 pick.

With the OT pool being as thin as it is, I doubt we get a sniff of Butler in the third round.

Butler is a beast... a team player. He did not allow a sack in his last 25 games. I have season tickets for Purdue every year and he is a GREAT asset... he pumps up the offense. He opens up holes. They say he is raw, but only because he still has upside to go from a 3rd round pick to the likes of Gallery. Played on the right side at Purdue. He WILL NOT be at our pick in the 3rd round. If we cannot get Andrews, we should trade down (Giants trade?) and get him in the 2nd.

BTW... I think in a year Butler will be BETTER than Andrews. I dont see Andrews as a player with a lot of heart (if he was he wouldnt have weight problems) and I dont like the way he moves around.

While Im talkin about Purdue players... here is the rest of my breakdown of Boilermakers, many of who I have met, come across, seen at the bars, etc.:

Stu Schweigert, S... most overrated Boiler. Never lived up to his potential, many off field problems. The fans love him though. Will go in 2nd-3rd round.

Niko Koudivides, MLB... Also overrated, horrible coverage. Team calls him Mr. Mean... hard hitter, personally i think he is a prick. Will go in 3rd-4th rounds.

Phillip Daniels, DE... Underrated. Led the Big 10 in sacks. MAKES PLAYS. Always there and when he is not, he is being held. May be too small to be a star at the next level. Great work effort. Great personality. I have met and had the pleasure of meeting a couple of times. Steal in the 4th/5th round.

John Standeford, WR... broke nearly every record in Purdues receiving book as well as the Big 10. Fast, big, good hands, smart. Good person. Why doesnt anyone want this guy before the 5th round?

Nick Hardwick, OC... talk about a guy with heart. Watched his freshman year from the stands as a fan. Walked on his sophomore year, played DL? I believe. Never made it. Tiller had a hunch he might do better at OL and turned out to be a solid starter at Center. Only played there for one year, but obviously has a lot to learn and tremendous upside.

I will finish with Gilbert Gardner and Landon Johnson. I do not know these guys well. I have never met any of them. I can tell you Gardner has a lot of heart. He came back from much adversity and injuries. Both guys will probably never be much more than a backup. Im goin to guess 6th round.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been a lot of talk about Nat Dorsey and Jacob Rogers among the second teir of tackles but I agree the better target for us is Kelly Butler. Dorsey and Jacobs are projected LT's who may never be enough of the roadgrader that we need at RT.

He's raw and probably won't be selected before the mid 2nd round. I doubt he could start the first year but if we sign Page and thus go a differant direction with our first pick, Butler would be good value later.

Back
Top Bottom