Kelly: Dolphins have as much talent as any other AFC East team, so bar should be set higher for Flores in 2020 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kelly: Dolphins have as much talent as any other AFC East team, so bar should be set higher for Flores in 2020

This. Buffalo would be a Super Bowl contender if their QB wasn't Josh Allen. Amazing how bad the 2018 QB class has been outside Lamar Jackson.
Kinda poetic isn't it!!! All that was heard about was the other qbs in that class, and it is looking like the Ravens got the steal of that particular first round!!!

If Fitz starts, expect between 5-7 wins with this roster... If Tua starts, expect between 3-10 wins... If they both get playing time, expect below 7 wins...

Kinda poetic isn't it!!! All that was heard about was the other qbs in that class, and it is looking like the Ravens got the steal of that particular first round!!!

The guy still makes throws that only a few in the NFL can make. His issue....footwork and the ball taking off inconsistently....especially when the pressure is on.

Does Allen learn and take the next step? We will see. Jackson has as many playoff wins as Allen.

Getting off Twitter and almost forgetting there’s an Omar Kelly has been a good thing. I don’t see how anyone can evaluate Miami’s OL when 2 , possibly 3 rookies could start. I do believe the defense could be elite. I don’t value the “talent” in Buffalo as much as most do. I have no idea what Cam Newton has left and really I don’t care. The continuity between coach and QB is gone and it’s not coming back. Yeah we’re better than the Jets. So I’m not totally disagreeing with Kelly.

I typically disagree with Omar Kelly, and this is one of those many times. We are clearly rebuilding. Our OL is almost as bad this year as it was last year, which is the worst in the AFCE ... scratch that, maybe worst in the AFC. Those rookies are not ready, and they're projects at best. Put Tua behind this line, and it is a recipe for disaster ... which would be so typically a Dolphins move. :(

We have a solid WR corps, but not an elite one. We have a good young TE group, but they have not yet made the leap, so expecting Pro-Bowl performance is iffy. If Tua plays, he'll be a rookie with minimal pre-season ramp up and rehabbing an injury. Behind a bad OL, expectations need to be realistic. Our offense is not good, and to say our roster is ready is either being naiive or ... in typical Omar Kelly fashion ... being disingenuous to stir up controversy and undermine the coaching staff.

Our defense is a work in progress that I expect to make a major lurch forward this year. But--we still lack pass rushers. Bringing in Shaq Lawson and Emmanual Ogbhoh (sp?) is a left-handed complement ... they're journeymen improvements. Van Noy is a great signing, but he's one guy and not young. Our CB's should be exceptional, but we'll be constantly targeted at Nickel and Dime backs, and Rowe covering TE's. This morphing defense needs to generate a pass rush, and I think the answers come in the 2021 draft. Until then, we'll be very hit and miss.

Our roster is best described as incomplete.

Offense:
QB: Transitional rookie season, not consistently productive
RB: Solid power in Howard and change of pace/big play potential in Breida if they get blocking
OL: Shoddy at best, with 3 solid but unspectacular OL (Davis/Flowers/Karras) and two gaping holes--one G and one T, and probably a very subpar pass-protection
TE: Developing and may make the leap, but all options are uni-dimensional
WR: Good and fairly deep WR corps, but not elite

Defense:
DL: Subpar despite having spent lots of resources
LB: Possibly the worst LB corps in the NFL is greatly augmented by the additions of Kyle Van Noy and possibly Elandon Roberts
CB: Dominant pair of starting CB's, augmented by a solid Nickel/Dime solution with Needham/McCain (unless he is needed to play safety), and a good rookie prospect in Iggy
S: Rowe is a solid starter for the short term, the other starting safety position is up for grabs. If we need to play McCain there, we have a hole at Nickel/Dime, if anyone gets injured, we're searching for JAG off the streets to fill the spot. We have a rookie who seems to be a grinder, but we'll see if he has the talent and can find a position.

No dominant stars to lead the offense, and our star CB's may be undermined by our lack of pass rush. Not a great roster, IMHO. We look to be the very poster child for a rebuilding roster. Omar Kelly, once again, is either wrong, or more likely, intentionally disingenuous.

The expectation last year was 0-2 wins. Omar is not really going out on a limb here
My expectation and prediction was 6 wins, because Fitz is too good to win only 2. I can't say the expectation of 2 wins was ever realistic. But, after the first couple of games ... I was beginning to think I might have been wrong. When Fitz helped the team turn the corner, he showed why he was our MVP last year ... because without Fitz our roster was not very good.

While I disagree with Omar's assessment, and am preaching for patience for this unusually long rebuild, there comes a time when the bill is due. Coaches are judged on wins and losses. We endured the humiliation of 2019 for the promise of 2020 and 2021. In 2020 we need to show progress, so 6 wins will be viewed as an abject failure, no matter what you think of Flo's coaching. People are expecting 8 wins. That is the result of not finishing the tank in 2019.

Ross may not have patience with another 6 to 7 win season. We still have a LOT of resources stockpiled for the 2021 draft. That is an enticing piece if Ross course-corrects and brings in a new GM and Coach. Ross will have many NFL gurus in his ear telling him as much. If the Dolphins do not win at least 8 games ... Coach Flo's position will be questioned and we may be diving into another rebuild.

While I wholeheartedly disagree with Omar Kelly, it would be naiive to expect Ross to passively accept a 6 win season. That's just reality.

My expectation and prediction was 6 wins, because Fitz is too good to win only 2. I can't say the expectation of 2 wins was ever realistic. But, after the first couple of games ... I was beginning to think I might have been wrong. When Fitz helped the team turn the corner, he showed why he was our MVP last year ... because without Fitz our roster was not very good.
you were definitely an outlier, many predicted 0-16 with an historically bad roster

So much to unpack here........

While I disagree with Omar's assessment, and am preaching for patience for this unusually long rebuild, there comes a time when the bill is due.

Unusually long rebuild? Seriously? Following the 18' season, we were in cap hell, burdened by overpriced players and bad contracts so very little flexibility. We had a HC and QB that both had to go, no question. We had minimal draft picks and valuable assets, with which to rebuild.

I would say it has been very fast, given the circumstances, and due to some of the good that came out of last season, relatively painless.

6 wins will be viewed as an abject failure, no matter what you think of Flo's coaching. People are expecting 8 wins. That is the result of not finishing the tank.

I think that is an oversimplification, to a large degree. I will be disappointed with 6 wins, but the record alone is not the entire story or, necessarily, an indictment on "progress" for hardcore fans.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make about the tank being incomplete. Are you saying less wins would be acceptable, had we had less wins last year?

From the standpoint of overall progress, that is illogical doctor.
Ross may not have patience with another 6 to 7 win season. We still have a LOT of resources stockpiled for the 2021 draft. That is an enticing piece if Ross course-corrects and brings in a new GM and Coach. Ross will have many NFL gurus in his ear telling him as much. If the Dolphins do not win at least 8 games ... Coach Flo's position will be questioned and we may be diving into another rebuild.

While I wholeheartedly disagree with Omar Kelly, it would be naiive to expect Ross to passively accept a 6 win season. That's just reality.

Bring in a new GM and coach? Again, seriously? Everything Ross has ever stated is contrary to that perspective.

I understand many ppl dislike Grier, but why on earth would you fire Flo? Even if he had a 5-6 win season, who are you bringing in?

So much to unpack here........

Unusually long rebuild? Seriously? Following the 18' season, we were in cap hell, burdened by overpriced players and bad contracts so very little flexibility. We had a HC and QB that both had to go, no question. We had minimal draft picks and valuable assets, with which to rebuild.

I would say it has been very fast, given the circumstances, and due to some of the good that came out of last season, relatively painless.

I think that is an oversimplification, to a large degree. I will be disappointed with 6 wins, but the record alone is not the entire story or, necessarily, an indictment on "progress" for hardcore fans.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make about the tank being incomplete. Are you saying less wins would be acceptable, had we had less wins last year?

From the standpoint of overall progress, that is illogical doctor.

Bring in a new GM and coach? Again, seriously? Everything Ross has ever stated is contrary to that perspective.

I understand many ppl dislike Grier, but why on earth would you fire Flo? Even if he had a 5-6 win season, who are you bringing in?

Agree. First 6 games 0-6 with 3 rookie OLmen, followed by 6-4 and 4 close losses, is a good season to me.

I disagree.

Miami has brought in talent, but nothing replaces being between the lines with your actual team.

Buffalo and since NE added Newton, are the 2 favorites in the East. Buffalo will rise and fall with their young QB, will he learn from that playoff lose or settle into mediocrity? Does that BUF defense also learn from that loss and move forward?

NE? Sorry, but when BB can squeeze double digit wins out of a Matt Cassel QB team....tough to over look them with a former MVP. No matter how flawed that QB is.
I disagree with the bit on Matt Cassell. He was a injury replacement, that is way different than no TB12. I can see a team staying focused and rallying when TB gets hurt, but not having him at all will be demoralizing to the Pats team. I predict major setbacks this year, Cam is not a team-first player, he's not at all what BB wanted

I disagree with the bit on Matt Cassell. He was a injury replacement, that is way different than no TB12. I can see a team staying focused and rallying when TB gets hurt, but not having him at all will be demoralizing to the Pats team. I predict major setbacks this year, Cam is not a team-first player, he's not at all what BB wanted
I had to LOL at the notion BB would be succeptable to buying a "pig in a poke".

I could actually see an egomaniac like him platooning 2 QBs. Talk about putting pressure on a defense to prepare.

@Digital I usually agree with you but i think Flores is our future regardless of the wins total in 2020

It was pretty much a total rebuild and we have our QB and lots of picks next draft to continue rebuilding plus with all the uncertainty no way Flores job is on the line next season unless the team falls completely apart and only wins a game or 2 which i do not see happening

Got to be patient as we navigate through this whole rebuilding we've undertaken. Last year was a complete teardown, and the fact that we actually won some games bodes well. At the same time, this seems to be a trap that always befalls us...2008, everyone gets up singing the praises of "t3h trifecta!11!!" and then after that year, it's 7-9, and the whiners start to amass, only to get louder and louder before it becomes a full-on meltdown every single day on here. In 2016, it was more of the same. Another improbable run to the playoffs, and the cycle repeated itself.

The good thing is, we really overachieved last year, and didn't make the playoffs, so we didn't get in this blinder mindset of "playoffs or bust!!1!11!1!" that's happened. It's going to be a lot tougher schedule this year, and it may be that we only win 5-6 games again. That's ok; we still have a lot of holes all over the place. To me, as long as we're seeing consistent player development, and aren't making dumb mistakes over and over, that's all one really needs to see this year. 2021 Draft, load up on skill guys, and use the cap room to address any glaring needs. I think next year is when we really start to see things rev up and take off...not this year. This year will be interesting though, especially if we're as competitive as we were in all of our games last year.

Flores has had long enough. We either win the Super Bowl or we blow the whole thing up and start over again!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom