Kendyll Pope LB FSU???? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kendyll Pope LB FSU????

Nicky Napoleon

We'll Miss You Nubs
Reaction score
Does anyone have a scouting report on him. I was wondering where he might go in the draft. Any help is appreciated

All i know is he is ranked 9th out top ten outside LBs. Any noles fans out there whos seen this guy play?

Kendyll Pope

6-1 218lbs

4.68 (40yd time)

Originally posted by Fins2theend
Does anyone have a scouting report on him. I was wondering where he might go in the draft. Any help is appreciated

#8-OLB) Kendyll Pope - FSU: Projected rd (4)

NFL comparison- Barrett Green?

Strengths:

Has good range vs. the run. Is his best in the open field. Has good initial quickness. Is a sideline-to-sideline player.Changes direction well. Is a sound tackler and hard hitter. Has better- then- avg. range in zone. Has fluid hips and great quickness in man coverage.

Weaknesses:

Has had shoulder problems. Is undersized and lacks strength. Struggles to take on blockers at the point of attack. Runs around too many blocks. Lacks the speed to move to saftey. Does not have great experience at rushing the passer.Is better in coverage than on the blitz.

Bottom line:

Pope has the potential to develop into a quality special teams player and a quality backup linebacker who can contribute on passing downs, but he will never start full time because of his lack of size and strength.

Final grade:5.7- compared to #1 DJ williams Final grade ohf 8.3....

IMO, A good pick at where they have him projected a great fit at someplace like Baltimore where they have a good LB core already but for us we need a starter type of LB someone with more range.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember my canes beating him a few times. He makes a lot of tackles, but not a lot of big plays. His name gets called a lot but not for game turning plays or drive stopping plays. Probably why he's not rated very high. If he were that good, the 'noles wouldn't have lost so many games and looked bad on defense.

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
I remember my canes beating him a few times. He makes a lot of tackles, but not a lot of big plays. His name gets called a lot but not for game turning plays or drive stopping plays. Probably why he's not rated very high. If he were that good, the 'noles wouldn't have lost so many games and looked bad on defense.

As an FSU fan that has watched every game, and there were not that many loses, I'd say Pope turned out to be a little disappointing.

Pope came in highly rated out of HS and thought to be a top talent at linebacker.

In truth, he was solid and didn't make many mistakes, but never became that playmaker we had hoped he would.

But, as in the case of eddie moore, good in coverage and doesn't miss any tackles.

I went to high school with Kendyll and let me tell you, the other teams would game plan around him so yeah to be a good LB in college was a bit of a let down. But he is a good guy that just had a few shoulder problems.

He's slow and to light right now.Will adding weight slow him down even more??

Originally posted by 4THand10
He's slow and to light right now.Will adding weight slow him down even more??

I don't know that it is fair to call him slow. He seemed to be plenty fast on the field. His football speed seemed fine to me.

If Pope had a clear weakness, it was his inability to get off blocks and make plays on the otherside of the line.

Either way, I doubt he will be an impact guy in the NFL.

I actually like the other Pope better: Derrick Pope from Alabama. I could see Miami using one of their 7th round picks on him if he is still there.

He is expected to go in the 6th round so may be. I've watched several Bama games and Derrick was excellent at blitzing and coverage. He plays fast and was extremely explosive on the field playing the SAM position. He did however hit the injury bug every once and a while. He is also short for a OLB (5'11"?) so who knows?

And is it just me or was it Derrick Pope making the ton of bricks hits at the Senior Bowl. I thought they announced him as a late replacement.
?????????????

Re: Re: Kendyll Pope LB FSU????

Originally posted by feelthepain

#8-OLB) Kendyll Pope - FSU: Projected rd (4)

NFL comparison- Barrett Green?

Strengths:

Has good range vs. the run. Is his best in the open field. Has good initial quickness. Is a sideline-to-sideline player.Changes direction well. Is a sound tackler and hard hitter. Has better- then- avg. range in zone. Has fluid hips and great quickness in man coverage.

Thanks this was just a guy that like I said I went to school with and was wondering how he would fair in the draft

Back
Top Bottom