Kentucky Derby | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kentucky Derby

I always wanted to check out the Greyhounds. Do they even do that in CT anymore.

Semi-related story:
One of my old neighbors had a rescued greyhound. Beautiful dog, in great shape. Well, her 5 year old daughter was walking the dog one day and it saw a squirrel.
The dog bolted and the girl holding the leash was pulled sideways in mid-air before she crashed to the asphalt.
Not very smart of the parents to let her walk the dog. She was scuffed up, but not terribly injured.

That dog had some serious speed out of the gate! LOL
I'm not sure that was many moons ago. After their brief racing career, they would adopt the dogs out. You could do it through the track.
We use to camp and one weekend my wife and I left the camp to attend a baseball tourney with my son. Our Daughter who was around 8 at the time asked if she could stay behind with her friend. We had a seasonal campsite and were well familiar with everyone who camped there so we had no problem letting her stay. We get a call later in the day that our daughter was hurt but was looked at by a Paramedic who camped there and they told us don't rush back, he cleaned her up and it was no big deal she was just scrapped up a bit. When we got back later in the day I was shocked when we saw the extent to which she was injured. She weighed all of about 50 pounds at the time and was walking her friends Golden Retriever which outweighed her by about 10lbs or so. They were having firetruck rides for the kids in the campground and when the firetruck passed it put on the siren and spooked the dog. The leash was wrapped around her wrist because she was concerned the dog would get away from her and didn't want that to happen while it was on her watch. We'll the dog took off running and dragged her for almost a quarter mile through the gravel as it was running back to its campsite. People were chasing the dog but it probably just made the dog more determined not to get caught. She couldn't let go of the leash and wasn't strong enough to stop the dog as it outweighed her. She spun continuously for the duration. We took her immediately to the local hospital emergency room, they then transported her to a large hospital with a burn trauma unit. She suffered 2nd-degree burns on her chest, rear end, hands, legs (front and back) and both feet. About 30-40% of her body. It literally burned her skin off. They had to put her under just to clean the wounds they were so bad and extensive. Then we had to sign a waiver for the Anesthesiologist due to the concern of sedating her and her low weight, that was really nervewracking but we had no choice. All told she spent about a week in the burn unit. The only thing that saved her face was the height of the dog and shortness of the leash kept her face elevated off the ground. When they put her under and undressed her, I cried like a baby when really I saw how bad it was. I can't imagine the pain she was in. Moral of the story, when the dog outweighs you, don't wrap the leash around your wrist, you'll never get away. She learned the hard way.

I'm not sure that was many moons ago. After their brief racing career, they would adopt the dogs out. You could do it through the track.
We use to camp and one weekend my wife and I left the camp to attend a baseball tourney with my son. Our Daughter who was around 8 at the time asked if she could stay behind with her friend. We had a seasonal campsite and were well familiar with everyone who camped there so we had no problem letting her stay. We get a call later in the day that our daughter was hurt but was looked at by a Paramedic who camped there and they told us don't rush back, he cleaned her up and it was no big deal she was just scrapped up a bit. When we got back later in the day I was shocked when we saw the extent to which she was injured. She weighed all of about 50 pounds at the time and was walking her friends Golden Retriever which outweighed her by about 10lbs or so. They were having firetruck rides for the kids in the campground and when the firetruck passed it put on the siren and spooked the dog. The leash was wrapped around her wrist because she was concerned the dog would get away from her and didn't want that to happen while it was on her watch. We'll the dog took off running and dragged her for almost a quarter mile through the gravel as it was running back to its campsite. People were chasing the dog but it probably just made the dog more determined not to get caught. She couldn't let go of the leash and wasn't strong enough to stop the dog as it outweighed her. She spun continuously for the duration. We took her immediately to the local hospital emergency room, they then transported her to a large hospital with a burn trauma unit. She suffered 2nd-degree burns on her chest, rear end, hands, legs (front and back) and both feet. About 30-40% of her body. It literally burned her skin off. They had to put her under just to clean the wounds they were so bad and extensive. Then we had to sign a waiver for the Anesthesiologist due to the concern of sedating her and her low weight, that was really nervewracking but we had no choice. All told she spent about a week in the burn unit. The only thing that saved her face was the height of the dog and shortness of the leash kept her face elevated off the ground. When they put her under and undressed her, I cried like a baby when really I saw how bad it was. I can't imagine the pain she was in. Moral of the story, when the dog outweighs you, don't wrap the leash around your wrist, you'll never get away. She learned the hard way.

Oh man! That is a terrible story! It's a good lesson to pass on, though, not to tie your wrist to a dog bigger then you. Thanks for that tip for my boys!
I aged 10 years when the anesthesiologist put my son in "twilight mode" to reset his broken arm, because I could still hear him moaning. You must have aged 20 years!

Oh man! That is a terrible story! It's a good lesson to pass on, though, not to tie your wrist to a dog bigger then you. Thanks for that tip for my boys!
I aged 10 years when the anesthesiologist put my son in "twilight mode" to reset his broken arm, because I could still hear him moaning. You must have aged 20 years!
Oddly enough I went through that too. Again, my Daughter tripped at the campground and put her arm out to break the fall and snap. Broke both bones in her forearm. They sedated her then to reset it and man did she scream when they did it. Something that really brings you into reality and makes you realize how much you love your kids is when you see them in unbearable pain. You feel so helpless as a parent because there is not a thing you can do. I woulda traded spots with her in a second had I been able to.

I hear you!
That's kind of what happened to my son. He jumped off the top of the back of the couch, on purpose, but he blew the landing and his bare feet gripped to the hardwood floor, so he was thrown to the ground and braced himself, snapping both bones in one arm. He was 4. His arm looks like bent spaghetti and he is screaming and is yelling, "Daddy, fix it! Daddy fix it!" Knowing that was something I couldn't fix was brutal. I did carry him in my arms and even held him on my lap in the back of the ambulance for the ride. Brutal!

Another story, my younger son was maybe 2 1/2 and he needed tubes put in his ears. A pretty minor planned procedure, but you can't explain this to a kid that young. So, they had to put him under. They wanted me to be there to comfort him, but also to hold his arms down. They put the mask on him and he starts freaking out and I am holding his arms down and he is looking at me like, help me! I felt like he was thinking why are you holding my arms down? You are supposed to always be the one in this world I can count on to save me! That was rough, too! Tubes were fine, he doesn't even remember, but I do!

I hear you!
That's kind of what happened to my son. He jumped off the top of the back of the couch, on purpose, but he blew the landing and his bare feet gripped to the hardwood floor, so he was thrown to the ground and braced himself, snapping both bones in one arm. He was 4. His arm looks like bent spaghetti and he is screaming and is yelling, "Daddy, fix it! Daddy fix it!" Knowing that was something I couldn't fix was brutal. I did carry him in my arms and even held him on my lap in the back of the ambulance for the ride. Brutal!

Another story, my younger son was maybe 2 1/2 and he needed tubes put in his ears. A pretty minor planned procedure, but you can't explain this to a kid that young. So, they had to put him under. They wanted me to be there to comfort him, but also to hold his arms down. They put the mask on him and he starts freaking out and I am holding his arms down and he is looking at me like, help me! I felt like he was thinking why are you holding my arms down? You are supposed to always be the one in this world I can count on to save me! That was rough, too! Tubes were fine, he doesn't even remember, but I do!
Yeah, you NEVER forget things like that. My daughter's arm looked the same. No doubt it was broke when you saw it. Kinda flopping like a wet noodle.

Planning on checking the Kentucky Derby off my bucket list this year. I just secured grandstand tickets for my daughter and myself for this years race. She loves horse racing and has always wanted to go the the Derby. Her soon to be X-husband would never take her. So I figured it is my job to make it happen. It just so happens that the derby is on her wedding anniversary. So being there will help take her mind off the problems she is going through.

My buddy is crying the blues this year. He's got OTB at his bar and it's hit him in his pocket for sure not having the ponies running.

" The most obvious change is going to be the attendance. In a normal year, 150,000 fans pack the grandstands of Churchill Downs to watch the most iconic race of the year. This year, attendance will be about 23,000, and the usually crowded infield will be closed. "

Hopefully My daughter and my tickets are honored.

"Kentucky Derby to run with no spectators this year"

Guess that bucket list item will have to wait until next year. My daughter is bummed.

47A53E76-991A-4278-869D-B374C1F2A491.jpeg
This is The outfit I wore for the 146th Derby. We had a party at home in place of sitting in grandstands. Not shown in photo are the sear sucker pants that my daughter bought for me for the event. I love her so much. Took it off immediately to save for next year. Hopefully at the event in person next time.

1599361038072.png
My daughter and I getting ready for start of derby. I am so lucky to have her in my life.

So as part of the great STUB Hub experience they were not able to refund my money due to too many covid-19 event cancellations. Instead a voucher for 120% of purchase price good for a year. Sounds pretty good in lieu if not getting my money back. I can use it for the Derby tickets next year.

I checked the Derby tickets for next year and they are starting out at twice the price as this year. FML.

They released 15000 infield tickets on Wednesday. They are $100 each. May get a pair of them. Still watching to see if any of the grandstand tickets drop enough for me. Some are dropping the closer we get to race.

Now just over a week away and the cheapest bleacher seats are getting close to the credit amount I have in Stubhub from last year.

But now my daughter has to work up in Michigan for grand re-opening one of their properties on that week end.

Her suggestion was we use the credit to go down to a Dolphins game in Miami late in the year and then worrying about going to Derby next year.

My daughter had to work last year so we never made it to Derby. Right now we are on the road to Louisville for the Derby today. A couple years later but we are finally going to do it.

Back
Top Bottom