Key to winning... Spread offense? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Key to winning... Spread offense?

FINatic054

Scout Team
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you noticed the difference in our offense after theach first half. First half had Tanny under center as well as in shotgun with some more classic dink and dunk miami offense pass plays. Second half showed Tanny primarily in the shotgun formation with Drake or Ajayi next to him and 3 or 4 WR sets with a Cameron. Throws were all over the field not just 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. This system seemed to show Tanny at his best. He seemed relaxed and comfortable back there making very accurate throws and good reads. Probably some of the best ball I've ever seen him play.

Now we know our defense will be problematic. Most important positions in today's NFL to have top players are rushers and corners. Gotta be able to put pressure on the passer and cover these receivers. Outside of Jones, our D Defensive backs are just bad. Maxwell was getting dominated by edelman. There was 1 play that stands out in mind that had edelman in the slot and running a simply 5 yard slant across the field. He caught that ball with maxwell trailing at least 5 yards off him.

I don't know if any of you noticed this as well but Joseph must have rushed just 4 on over 80% of the defensive plays. Even when a 3rd string qb came in they still never applied pressure. I understand we think our front 4 can pressure the qb but that's just not the case. Not even close. We should be blitzing with multiple designed blitzes to apply pressure and help mitigate the deficiencies our defense has with poor corner play and a front 4 who can't dominate.

I personally would love to see a greater urgency in pressuring the opposing QBS and decreasing the amount of time our corners need to cover and open things up on offense playing a spread offense with Tanny in the shotgun all game. Pretty much a manning offense.

I don't believe you can just stick to 1 scheme in today's NFL.

As much as I love what Gibbs did in his 1st tenure w/ Washington, it would not last long (longer than the ZRO or Wildcat IMO but not much) now.

You have to be able to be able to use multiple personnel groupings. I hate to use the Pats as an example but....

Green Bay is an interesting example on how they occasionally line up. Specifically, A Rodgers up in the pistol & Cobb as the TB. Would it hurt the phins to use a variation... Landry as TB, Drake as Upback (motion man), Sims in line with Parker & Stills out wide?

I don't believe you can just stick to 1 scheme in today's NFL.

As much as I love what Gibbs did in his 1st tenure w/ Washington, it would not last long (longer than the ZRO or Wildcat IMO but not much) now.

You have to be able to be able to use multiple personnel groupings. I hate to use the Pats as an example but....

Green Bay is an interesting example on how they occasionally line up. Specifically, A Rodgers up in the pistol & Cobb as the TB. Would it hurt the phins to use a variation... Landry as TB, Drake as Upback (motion man), Sims in line with Parker & Stills out wide?

I agree. I wouldn't want to stay the entire time in that aligning but using mannings Colts again as an example, if he was under center they were most likely running a stretch run play or a play action out of the stretch run. But they mostly used 3 WR sets with a TE split wide as well or running a route playing in. They did that we'll. I'm just hoping we get out of the conventional Tanny under center sets so much and put him in shotgun on the majority of plays. Also move away from the 5 yard routes. How many times do you see our WRs running 7 yards up field and either hooking, stopping in place, or doing a come back route. It's ridiculous. Let's get more intermediate routes

Why not.....get him into a rythym, especially since it appears like we can handle a pass rush with our 5 lineman now.

Spread offense, now. 5 OL, 1 RB, 4 WRs. We either run or pass, and Drake will be our franchise RB if this happens.

You can run elements of the spread and they can be infuse into your traditional schemes, but running the spread exclusively in the NFL can not be done; successfully at least. It's why Kellly and Lazor have failed from 2015 forward as the system hasn't evolved. Also contrary to popular belief, the Spread system is essentially a run first and run heavy philosophy.

Here's a great read on the subject: Chip Kelly and the vanishing offense

Gase brings what is known as the "Earnhardt-Perkins" offense. It's what the Patriots use along with the Chargers, Panthers, Steelers, Ravens, Giants, and maybe more. It's essentially scheme neutral and concept based which favors the coaching philosophy, like Gase's, in molding the offense to fit your personnel.

Lets bring back the oilers run and shoot. seems to me at this point in time were better off not bothering with the run game.

Back
Top Bottom