Kicker Questions? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kicker Questions?

madmic21

Active Roster
Reaction score
I missed it did we trade something to get back into the draft to pick the New Mexico kicker or did we have that pick? And what is the feelings on him as our kicker next year

I missed it did we trade something to get back into the draft to pick the New Mexico kicker or did we have that pick? And what is the feelings on him as our kicker next year
It was our own second 7th round pick.

Strong leg, lots of touchbacks.

They brought in a local kicker as an UDFA (FAUs Greg Joseph).

Probably bring in a vet at some point.

Should be quite the camp competition.

Ok with the pick, but if you're going to bring in competition I would have preferred bringing in a vet. Still a lot of time for that to change.

The lack of a kicker is a huge concern.
I would hate that we lose a game or two because of a poor kicker.

I don't understand how we drafted him ahead of UF's Eddy Pineiro. It's Rizzi's call and I presume that really good detailed analysis went into it, to make the decision. I trust Rizzi because he is the Special Teams expert and he has a proven eye for talent, but I still don't understand it.

No publications I have reviewed have this kicker rated as a draft pick or even one of the top 10 kickers in this draft. Everyone on this site are giving the guy a pass because of pur ST coach Rizzi. Last 3-picks I consider long odd dark horses to make the team.

I trust Rizzi over some guys who don't even review kickers, they usally put 1 or 2 kickers in and call it a day reviewing kickers, and I am almost 100% sure they have no idea how to judge kickers, other then by stats

When it comes to kickers it's best to just wait and see how things turn out. Last year people were complaining about signing Parkey, pointing to his three miss game in 2016 against Miami. The margin of error from being a good kicker at 90% and a average one at 80% is small so you never know how things will turn out. Play a few games with bad weather, low confidence or a tight hamstring and you can quickly go from being viewed as a good kicker to being average, or from being average to fighting for a job. Remember last year San Diego thought they had a great rookie kicker and after a few key misses his confidence went to hell and he's out of the league. Younghoo Koo finished 3 of 6, including missing a game tying field goal against Denver and a game winner against Miami, and hasn't been heard from since.

Last edited:
Current free agent kickers that played in 2017

• Connor Barth, Bears (11-16, 68.8%/168-203 career, 82.8%)
  • Travis Coons, Chargers (7-8, 87.5%/35-40 career, 87.5%)
  • Nick Folk, Buccaneers (6-11, 54.5%/245-305 career, 80.3%)
  • Younghoe Koo, Chargers (3-6, 50%/3-6 career, 50%)
  • Patrick Murray, Buccaneers (19-23, 82.6%/40-49 career, 81.6%)
  • Nick Novak, Chargers (9-13, 69.2%/182-222 career, 82%)
  • The Most Un-Clutch Kicker of All Time - Blair Walsh, Seahawks (21-29, 72.4%/154-187 career, 82.4%)
Blair Walsh I believe had a workout for the Dolphins. I'm hoping he missed the training facility wide left

Back
Top Bottom