Kiko Alonso Could Be One Of Many Dolphins Cap Casualties

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mohammer, Jan 28, 2019.

1. lynx

lynx Well-Known Member

No reason to keep Kiko, last year at this time he was the board's whipping boy and deservedly so.

rickd13 and CaSh like this.
  2. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

Most of our cuts are very obvious if we are really going to rebuild. A decision on Kiko's contract would probably leap to the top of the to-do list. If it were up to me I would move on and draft a young LB that can grow with our other 2 starters.

Trade Viper likes this.
  3. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

There are 6-8 I'd keep and quite a few I'd keep tentatively

4. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

I'm not saying he would want to dump Alonso because of his personality. I am saying he would want to dump him because he plays stupid at times and he isn't very physical.

5. Mach2

Mach2 A True Fan

Perhaps?

I thought it was a given, at this point. I could see Kiko getting cut, but I think it would come down to whether Flores saw a fit for him, rather than money. Rumor is, he isn't a brain surgeon, so it may not be advantageous to reach him a completely different system.

6. cuzinvinny

cuzinvinny A True Fan

Well thats a plan....

IMO, there's not one type of process or successful rebuild plan and ones credibility and success is being able to use what becomes available in the Draft and FA or trades, with the overall insight and understanding of the areas in need and installing in a manner that is agreeable to being part of the future. Obviously your going to have to rely on some amount of current players because it can't be done in one season and oddly enough 2 seasons either but there can be significant improvement seen to give a clue as to the legitimacy of the guys calling the shots. Many different approaches. Even possible release of an exceptional player due to large cap space that maybe used to fill his spot with less value but added cap to upgrade several other spots... It's not something any of us can truly speculate with a hell of a lot of precision. We are just going to have to let the Guys do their thing and find out down the road..

Big difference from past and present approach IMO is that the past was filling holes with a contending attitude, were as this hopefully not really known yet approach, of the immediate contending part of less importance than the putting together an actual contender for a future team built on a more reliable foundation.

7. Laser13

Laser13 Well-Known Member

Never liked the guy, and he's never been the same player since the injuries early in his career with Buffalo. Very easy cut to me.

Not to mention he'll never be a member of Mensa any time soon, or any other lifetime for that matter.

Trade Viper likes this.
  8. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I can’t see this lb as a fit for the patriots way

rickd13 likes this.
  9. Lovethefish

Lovethefish Well-Known Member

The day Miami FO and it’s fans realize Kiko should NOT be a starting LB in ANY scheme is the day we become a better team.

Trade Viper likes this.
  10. Danny68

Danny68 NewEngland Fin Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

11. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

So with the horrendous coaching staff we had, especially on the defensive side of the ball, we want to get rid of one of our few playmakers on defense?

39wildman likes this.
  12. dahlmarino

dahlmarino Hating The Jets With A Passion Since '84

Agreed. Just some of the contracts to keep players we had was baffling enough. We could have retained Branch for $3m less a year and no one would have offered him a better deal. McDonald had no leverage whatsoever for a contract extension when he came here and yet we paid him like a high profile free agent at his position. While I didn’t hate the Alonzo contract when it happened if there’s a LB on our roster who is hard to fit into a more flexible scheme it’s him. A good coach will find ways to utilize the players he has, but considering how much work we have to do to become competitive there is absolutely no cut that would surprise me.

Travis34 likes this.
  13. Trade Viper

Trade Viper Wicked Stop Hunter Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't think Kiko is as good as Zach was, RayRay, Nick Buoniconti, John Offerdahl, Bryan Cox, A. J. Duhe, Kim Bokamper,
    Bob Brudzinski ET Al. The middle linebacker IS the QB of the D, honestly, I don't think he has the IQ for it, in fact if the Panthers game last year was an indication, and I don't think it was just a bad game, he genuinely looked lost.

The Ever Whatever VIPER

14. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

I like kiko he play hard. 2016 and 2018 was good yr for him.

15. dade

dade Well-Known Member

I’m not a big fan of him either but turnover supersedes his out of position plays sometimes. He had 3 picks and 3 plus FF, he played his best season in a 3-4 scheme in Buffalo as a rookie. I think he could explode in a 3-4 defense. But either way I’d keep him as depth till his contract is done or till we find a another lb in the draft. McMillan is going to be a stud i one what I saw as a rookie. Baker is gong to be a star himself in the mood of levante David deon Jones, jaylon Smith, Myles jack type