Kiko to the Saints. | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiko to the Saints.

Bill Belichick's #1 focus is on winning the Turnover Differential. It's fairly simple and has two major components.

1) Generate a lot of Takeaways.
2) Don't turn over the ball often.

Really is that simple. As for the first part, Takeaways, we have only had one LB in the past decade who really generated many takeaways, and his name was Kiko Alonso. So regardless of whether you like Jerome Baker, Raekwon McMillan, Eguovan (sp?), Van Ginkel, or any other LB … they're not the answer. Why? Because they don't generate many takeaways … none of them. This simply means we'll have to find a LB to replace them that generates takeaways. I'm not advocating for keeping Kiko, he's gone and that was to be expected at his age and salary. Just pointing out that we lose INT's, we lose forced fumbles, and yes, even the easiest stat of all, recovered fumbles.

If we're going to use the Bill Belichick system, we need to implement his #1 focus … and that will require generating more takeaways. Among our current LB's, none of them really do enough of that.

Thank you Kiko for your service and loyalty. Sorry it had to end this way. Good luck in New Orleans.

And to the current Dolphins LB corps., let this serve as your notice, start generating takeaways or you're likely to be replaced.
The defensive system we're going to employ now is far different than what we've imposed in the past. There are also many ways to generate takeaways, including better coverage and better blitzing. Clearly nobody in the league had an abundance of interest or else we'd be looking at a different return. Kiko is also an aging player that doesn't fit the timeline of the team. I'll always love Kiko's effort, but he's a player that's skillset was incomplete and he didn't fit the team moving forward.

Best of luck Kiko!

The defensive system we're going to employ now is far different than what we've imposed in the past. There are also many ways to generate takeaways, including better coverage and better blitzing. Clearly nobody in the league had an abundance of interest or else we'd be looking at a different return. Kiko is also an aging player that doesn't fit the timeline of the team. I'll always love Kiko's effort, but he's a player that's skillset was incomplete and he didn't fit the team moving forward.

Best of luck Kiko!
Kiko definitely was too old for us to carry. He's gone and as you have said, best of luck to him!

But, we still need DB's who actually catch the INT's, not just pass break ups. We definitely need DL's and LB's who separate the ball carrier from the ball before he goes down, and we need everyone on the team to look for, be in position to cover, and actually cover fumbles. We want pass rushers who are looking first and foremost to force fumbles rather than sacks, and all defenders who are practiced at deflecting passes UP for DB's and LB's to intercept, rather than trying to bat the ball into the 3rd row and wag your finger like you're Dikembe Mutombo celebrating an incomplete pass.

There's definitely an element of teaching, practice, repetition, awareness, and out-of-practice-preparation that goes into it. But, there is also natural ability. Just like speed, some people are born with more ability to generate takeaways than others. We need the guys who have that natural ability, and then they need to train and perfect that skill.

Before yesterday, this trade would have bothered me. I didn’t see the point of dumping Kiko - why give up decent depth at the LB position for cap space? Today, who cares?

One thing I don’t understand at this point - why exactly do we need $130-140M in cap space? Everything we’re being told and shown indicates that this team is done being big-splash players in free agency. It’s not the “Patriot Way”. The Patriots don’t pay big money for offensive linemen. Etc. etc.

So what do we do with massive cap space?
There are many reasons why the Patriots don't typically spend that kind of money in free agency.

1. They never have $140M in cap space.
2. They don't have nearly as many glaring holes as to fill as we do because their system is established and they have the players to fit it.
3. They continually draft players as replacements, not saviours.
4. As a winning team, players take less to play there.

Let's not forget that BB was handed a roster that had played for a SB 5 years prior. He didn't inherit a team that had won 1 playoff game in 20 years, he inherited one built by his former HC that largely fit with his model of a team. I'm not taking away from what BB has accomplished, just saying it's a totally different scenario. This franchise will likely overpay a few FA's with good reason over the next couple of seasons. They have the cap space, and want to become competitive. That doesn't mean you have to continually do it, just add a few young talents for some extra $.

I can't wait until we stop using "Patriot's way". Let's do it our way and become a dynasty.

There are many reasons why the Patriots don't typically spend that kind of money in free agency.

1. They never have $140M in cap space.
2. They don't have nearly as many glaring holes as to fill as we do because their system is established and they have the players to fit it.
3. They continually draft players as replacements, not saviours.
4. As a winning team, players take less to play there.

Let's not forget that BB was handed a roster that had played for a SB 5 years prior. He didn't inherit a team that had won 1 playoff game in 20 years, he inherited one built by his former HC that largely fit with his model of a team. I'm not taking away from what BB has accomplished, just saying it's a totally different scenario. This franchise will likely overpay a few FA's with good reason over the next couple of seasons. They have the cap space, and want to become competitive. That doesn't mean you have to continually do it, just add a few young talents for some extra $.

I can't wait until we stop using "Patriot's way". Let's do it our way and become a dynasty.

I’m not sure if you understood what I was saying. First, I wasn’t touting the “Patriot Way”. I was kinda crapping on it, because it’s being used as the rationale behind most moves the Dolphins are making. Trade a young, high-end left tackle?? Hey, the Patriots don’t overpay for offensive linemen.

And by the way, the Patriots recent drafts have been abysmal. They drafted 33 players between 2015 and 2018. The only legit players out of 33 are Malcolm Brown, Shaq Mason, Trey Flowers, Joe Thuney, Jacoby Brissett, and Sony Michel. Brissett and Flowers are gone.

Their draft failures tend to not matter, because they have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Period.

I’m not sure if you understood what I was saying. First, I wasn’t touting the “Patriot Way”. I was kinda crapping on it, because it’s being used as the rationale behind most moves the Dolphins are making. Trade a young, high-end left tackle?? Hey, the Patriots don’t overpay for offensive linemen.

And by the way, the Patriots recent drafts have been abysmal. They drafted 33 players between 2015 and 2018. The only legit players out of 33 are Malcolm Brown, Shaq Mason, Trey Flowers, Joe Thuney, Jacoby Brissett, and Sony Michel. Brissett and Flowers are gone.

Their draft failures tend to not matter, because they have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Period.

Come on. 14 of those draft picks were in the 6th round or later and only 6 were in the first 2 rounds. Wynn was injured all of last season. All of this while they're busy playing for Super Bowls. Teams have drafted worse picking in the top 10. One of the biggest differences is that they're an established team and don't need to hit on every pick, they just have the luxury of having more picks.

The Dolphins are just going to have to add free agents to the mix early on because they'll need to spend some of that cap space. The Patriots aren't the only team that operates this way, they're just the most successful.

Come on. 14 of those draft picks were in the 6th round or later and only 6 were in the first 2 rounds. Wynn was injured all of last season. All of this while they're busy playing for Super Bowls. Teams have drafted worse picking in the top 10. One of the biggest differences is that they're an established team and don't need to hit on every pick, they just have the luxury of having more picks.

The Dolphins are just going to have to add free agents to the mix early on because they'll need to spend some of that cap space. The Patriots aren't the only team that operates this way, they're just the most successful.

You’re not winning me over with this response. 6 were in the first two rounds...as opposed to the standard 8? And 19 were in the first 5 rounds. Bottom line, they’ve drafted poorly.

It doesn’t matter, because they have Brady to cover cracks, and they’re also masters of signing other teams’ discarded players and turning them into contributors. If anything, that is the true “Patriots Way” - have a healthy Tom Brady, and turn scrubs into contributors.

The Pats haven't been great at drafting, but they've been great at stockpiling draft picks, as well as knowing when to get max value for a player. Yes, they have BB and Brady, but they don't sustain what they do without being able to draft helpful new players every year. Not because they hit at a perfect rate, but because they give themselves so many picks that they can add talent by hitting at a reasonable rate.

You’re not winning me over with this response. 6 were in the first two rounds...as opposed to the standard 8? And 19 were in the first 5 rounds. Bottom line, they’ve drafted poorly.

It doesn’t matter, because they have Brady to cover cracks, and they’re also masters of signing other teams’ discarded players and turning them into contributors. If anything, that is the true “Patriots Way” - have a healthy Tom Brady, and turn scrubs into contributors.

Those players contribute to a SB winning team, they aren't stars on a 7-9 club. Every team in the league has had a better average draft position, how many have fared better at the draft?

They might have just hit a homerun with Sony Michel, Wynn appears to be their new LT. Even this year Stidham has shown more promise as a rookie QB than maybe anyone they've had before.

The thing is they've built a team, it's not easy to crack that lineup. You don't become a SB contender for nearly 20 years by drafting poorly.

Several comments have had to be deleted in this thread, a warning was previously issued but unfortunately some were unable to take this hint. Bans and points have now had to be given out.

If you are unhappy with the tank that is totally fine and you are more than welcome to hold that view. But you must ensure that you follow the site rules while debating - personal comments/attacks and unacceptable language will not be tolerated.

Last edited:
Kiko was all heart, no one can deny that. He gave everything every game. I liked the move to bring him in from Philly, and I thank him for his efforts.

I hope he does well in Nawleans.

Or just resign guys early instead of next year

Was responding to this post edit:
With all these salary dumps, the Dolphins are getting close to being below the 89% of the cap required by the NFL for the upcoming season. If they were able to unload Reshad Jones, they would more than likely have to add some contracts to meet the minimum.

Turnovers is one of the most luck driven stat in football... This holds true for Kiko...

After being subjected to defenders that couldn't get a turnover even when the ball hit them directly in the hands, I strongly disagree. I remember when a secondary composed of Sean Smith and Clemons could just have the ball thrown through them....then Reshad Jones came along and became a turnover machine.

Back
Top Bottom