Killing Time: Past football experience. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Killing Time: Past football experience.

I screwed up my left knee 2x in HS and tore every ligament but my acl entirely. My Acl was only partially torn and did not require surgery either time. I was never that fast to begin with but i manged to get my 40 to a respectable 4.61 and added enough muscle that a lot of our dbs that moved on to D1 schools as reserves had trouble covering me in practice even though they were faster than myself.

Anyway I ended up busting my tail to make my nationally ranked community college (Nassau) team as a reserve wr. The only game i played in that year I played through a broken rib which I received on my 1st catch when my qb led my right into a safety he and I never saw coming (yes i made that catch, i aint no darrell jackson). Anyway I finished that game with 6-85-1td and then retired al a rudy cause I decided I needed to stop getting up @ 5Am for practices and spend more time on schoolwork and having fun outside of football. It was something I wont forget though.

_dan24 said:
I wanted to kill time before the draft.

Though this may be in the wrong area I figured maybe the Mods can let it slide for a little while. :D

Anyways, I wanted to see how many users played football in their time? Whether it be City league, pop Warner, High School, or even college and the NFL.

Oh, and coaches, too. I didn't want to leave anyone out. Don't be shy!

I started out playing in the 5th grade, but it wasn't pop warner. I went to an all black school during the days of segragation, and they always wanted me to play after school. It was ten times rougher than any pop warner league could imagine.....back then. My moms used to think I was being jumped after school, because I constantly came home with busted lips, black eyes, and skinned up knees and elbows.

High School was different though, all I need to say is SOUTHRIDGE SENIOR HIGH BABY. I had another love, I was a paid professional skateboarder (Dog Town Sk8 Team) at 16, and when my school found out they told me I could no longer play football. So I got the privilage of helping the coaching staff with the DB's, and Ends. The Coaches name may be familiar to some of you. He is now the Running Back/Special Teams Coach for the University of Miami, Don Soldinger.

Ozzy said:
I started out playing in the 5th grade, but it wasn't pop warner. I went to an all black school during the days of segragation, and they always wanted me to play after school. It was ten times rougher than any pop warner league could imagine.....back then. My moms used to think I was being jumped after school, because I constantly came home with busted lips, black eyes, and skinned up knees and elbows.

High School was different though, all I need to say is SOUTHRIDGE SENIOR HIGH BABY. I had another love, I was a paid professional skateboarder (Dog Town Sk8 Team) at 16, and when my school found out they told me I could no longer play football. So I got the privilage of helping the coaching staff with the DB's, and Ends. The Coaches name may be familiar to some of you. He is now the Running Back/Special Teams Coach for the University of Miami, Don Soldinger.

I used to skate too... Through middle and high school. It was funny though... I was a jock/skater. It was fun. I had a local surf shop sponser me once, gave me some boards and ****. I never fell through with it though.

I too am in education and want to get into coaching on the side. BTW, I played high school and was a DE.

_dan24 said:
I used to skate too... Through middle and high school. It was funny though... I was a jock/skater. It was fun. I had a local surf shop sponser me once, gave me some boards and ****. I never fell through with it though.

Very Cool!! Ever here of Tony Alva? That's my era!!! I was one of about 10 sponsered skaters back in the very early 80's that put vertical skateboarding on the map in Florida. I was just the lucky one that got picked by Dog Town Skates. The DT boys came to Florida for a contest, and we all hit it off real good. I took them back to my hood and got them ripped out of their minds. A little 13/14 year old won the contest though, his name was Tony Hawk.

Ozzy said:
Very Cool!! Ever here of Tony Alva? That's my era!!! I was one of about 10 sponsered skaters back in the very early 80's that put vertical skateboarding on the map in Florida. I was just the lucky one that got picked by Dog Town Skates. The DT boys came to Florida for a contest, and we all hit it off real good. I took them back to my hood and got them ripped out of their minds. A little 13/14 year old won the contest though, his name was Tony Hawk.

Yeah, I've heard of him. They have a movie coming out soon about your team. That's baddass man!

It's a bit old for me time though, Danny Way was my idol growing up.

played pop warner, high school, and some college, but the injuries caught up to me and that was the end of that, i loved every second of it, made alot of great friends some of whom are playing pro right now, football is a risky game, but it certainly is awsome!!!!!

mario88vega said:
played pop warner, high school, and some college, but the injuries caught up to me and that was the end of that, i loved every second of it, made alot of great friends some of whom are playing pro right now, football is a risky game, but it certainly is awsome!!!!!

Sweet, what college team did you play for?

Dan....I played for the Jets also....probably long before you did though....(that's where my career ended)

I also was a sk8er....I remember we had a huge halfpipe off of Kelly road....(Bayshore, now)

I had an Alva Deck too.....right after my Santa Cruz street skate. :D

I got a late start compared to some, i didnt start til junior high. i played TE and DE but didnt get to start until late in my 8th grade year. i was always bigger for my age. i was 5'11 since 7th grade and am only 6'0 now. in high school i started to get faster and more athletic and i passed up everyone. My HS is class 8a in Illinois so we play with all the chicago, east st. louis, and peoria teams. i started both ways in high school for 2 years at WR and DE. i got moved up to varsity for the last couple games of the season. i started WR junior and senior year (wish coach woulda let me still play DE). got honorable mention all conference junior year, and made 1st team all conference and all area my senior year. i was 6'0 225 playing WR. haha there was NO DB that could bring me down by himself. i was like a TE with WR speed (4.65 40). i play college ball right now at a NAIA school in Iowa. i got a lot of offers from D3 and D2 schools and only one D1aa school (Southern IL). i know im not makin it to the next level, Maybe AFL2, but thats it. it will be a sad sad day when its all over.

_dan24 said:
Pete, from the Boardroom?....or was it Olde Naples Surf Shop?

I played football since the age of 8 and for a long time my teams were undefeated. It was wierd b/c I never lost a football game until I was in 7th grade. Played RB/MLB in jr high and we went undefeated the two years I played there. Then in High school I stayed on defense and we won a State championship and went to another one. Had the chance to play Division II football, but being only 5'9 and a MLB and then only having a 4.74 40, I wasnt gonna be fast enough or big enough to go anywhere so I just came up to West Virginia University and decided to make my money elsewhere than football.

The extent of my football playing is what I do now - (usually) weekly pickup games at T.C. Williams HS. As with any pickup game I play pretty many positions, but particularly excel at DE. At 6'0", 200, I'm not a prototypical DE but I play well above my size.

Ah, if only I had another 4 inches in height and 40 pounds.

I played 2-3 years before High School in youth ball, but had a great High School career. Although I won lots of individual awards, the two seasons I am most proud of were the two seasons my school won the CIF Championship (Equal to state Championships)! We won the first my junior year (1981) where I started at Tailback and again in 1990 where I coached the Running Backs. We also won the Ivy League title my soph and Junior seasons. My senior year we finished 2nd in league.
........................................................................................................
Football Awards:

1981 Honorable Mention All-Ivy League, All-County, All-C.I.F Running Back. 1981 Arlington Varsity Most Improved Player, Member of Arlington's 1981 C.I.F Championship Football Team. Player of the Week five times 1981 (Corona, La Sierra, Poly, Ramona, Damien). 1981 Press Enterprise Prep Athlete of the Week.

Two time Arlington Varsity 1,000 yard rusher 1981 (1,144) & 1982 (1,351).

1982 Arlington Most Outstanding Offensive Player. 1982 All-Ivy League, All-County, All-C.I.F Running Back. 1982 Football Team Co-Captain. 1982 Varsity Player of the Week three times (La Sierra, Corona, Pacific). Rated Blue Chipper 1981, 1982 nationally.

Member of 1985 Division III All-Star Football Team which traveled to Australia and New Zealand and played each countries National All-Star teams.

1986 All-West Coast League Utility Player, Semi Professional Football. *Record four interceptions in one game vs. East Los Angeles. I started my coaching in 1985-1986 season while playing Semi Pro ball. I enjoyed the coaching so much I quit playing at that point.
........................................................................................................

Now I've just finished my 20th year coaching. I currently have 5-6 former High School players in the NFL and many more in the NCAA here or there. I have been serving the last 5 seasons as O Cordinator at the High School I teach at, a Division 1 school in So Cal.

Back
Top Bottom