Killing Time: Past football experience. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Killing Time: Past football experience.

I played in many differen't Rec/City Leagues before I got to highschool. As a freshman I played both Rec league, and Varsity at my school(It was just too much fun at that rec league, the other guys were cool as hell,) The School games were on Friday, and the Rec games were on Saturdays For Rec I played TE/OLB for School I played QB/CB. I was only supposed to be a backup QB for school, but our starter got hurt, and I had to go in........ I hated playing QB (Mainly because I didn't know what the hell I was doing half the time cuz I had never played QB before, and I didn't really pay attention until I had to play. My sophmore year I just played for school, and I played WR/TE/CB/Safety/PR(I hardly ever got to return any punts though cuz highschool kickers usually SUCK, and can't get the ball more than 20 yards. The rest of highschool I played WR/Wingback and CB/S on defense......I LOVED playing DB it's the funnest thing in the world. No College, girl had a baby on the way, so I got married, and I went into the Army to be able to support them. I coached a couple of little league teams a few years after I got out of the Army, but been workin too much lately

I played pop warner from mighty mites all the way up to jr. midgets. I played C, OG, OT, DT. Then in H.S. i started at RG and was a pulling guard in our offense, which is the funnest thing in the world, cuz you get to hit DE's and CB's at full speed when they don't see you coming. Then JV year they moved me to DT and I came out 3rd in tackles and had several sacks from the weakside DT, getting the MVP for the season. (Mind you I was only 160lbs. at the time). Then when I got up to Varsity they moved me to a DE/DT position and I stuggled with containment, so I didn't play a lot my junior year. But my Senior year I got my weight up over 200 lbs through the weightroom, and we made it back to the playoffs I played DE and was switched over to OG towards end of season and started there throughout the playoffs. Both my junior and senior years we lost to the same team (Edgewater) that went to the state championship game and lost both years to teams from Miami.

Well as I have said before their are 2 of us who share this name myself, I played MLB through high school and recieved a scholarship to a few D1 schools. However I blew out my knee in our counties all star game and was left behind. Now I am a coach of the local pop warner team. My uncle who is the other one who shares this name played pro ball for the raiders many years ago and now coaches a D1 school(he would like to remain annonymous). I feel I might have had a chance to go pro if it wasn't for my knee also. Anyway thats our story.

Unfortunately due to medical reasons I couldn't play any organized football. I was crushed. I did though sneak around and play ball with the neighborhood kids. Played pretty much everywhere in those games. It was great. I often think what could have been if I had the clearance to play. Oh well, maybe another life.

nick19991 said:
thanks for the advise, Only thing is would a sportswriter make very much money? cause if they do then I'd love it, you get to do what you love and you get paid well

I don't know what the pay is for sportswriters, but I am pretty sure its easier to get to a comfortable living if you have the talent for it than if you went into sports management with the goal of getting into player personel. Seems like a lot of GM's/player personel executives are explayers. You'd pry be able to get in with the team in the marketing department or something like that, but I think to get in the football ops area without at least college playing experience could be tough. Otherwise you can just do what I'm doing, chase the money so you can get season tickets to ALL of your favorite sports. :wink:

CB every September and October for Flag Football at middle school. I also clearly had the best INT of the year (a very long diving INT).:cooldude:

Minnphin said:
I don't know what the pay is for sportswriters, but I am pretty sure its easier to get to a comfortable living if you have the talent for it than if you went into sports management with the goal of getting into player personel. Seems like a lot of GM's/player personel executives are explayers. You'd pry be able to get in with the team in the marketing department or something like that, but I think to get in the football ops area without at least college playing experience could be tough. Otherwise you can just do what I'm doing, chase the money so you can get season tickets to ALL of your favorite sports. :wink:

season tickets :drinkers: thats something to look forward to

Da' Fins - Im with you on the Texas football - "Then, I moved to Texas and started to play my senior year in High School. After going through a torturous summer training camp (wasn't used to the heat - and they take football extremely seriously in Texas - I've seen high school stadiums that would rival many college stadiums), it turned out that I was ineligible to play. Texas HS football is so intense that schools often recruit players to play elsewhere."

I played Pop Warner ball through HS in Central Texas (Copperas Cove Bulldogs Baby!), and our system actually coaches the basics of the HS ofense and defense to the Jr High and lower squads.. Its like a job. Not quite like Varsity Blues (poor flick and a poor comparison), but its pretty intense. Actually that terrible movie was filmed at some of our District's stadiums.

I was a coaches pet and a student of the game, I played every position on the offensive line between my Junior and Senior years, although I was groomed to be a TE and never weiged more than 218..

I was recruited to Angelo State University (DII) and played there 4 seasons, went to the DII Semifinals, and was Team Captain my Senior year. Funny thing was I wasnt even a starter. I was a backup H-back/TE, special teams ace, and apparently a pretty damn good leader. I love the game, and everything about it, just like everyone else here.

One thing I have always said is I have played with and against guys that I thought were the absolute best players I have ever seen in my life, and they cant stay on an NFL roster. That is how good those guys really are. I know lots of guys in the Arena League and CFL, but now that made it int he NFL. I have the utmost respect for those guys.

Texas boys (and girls) Holla!

I started playing football in Optimist, (which would be pop warner back east). That was in 3rd grade. I grew up in Boise, Idaho and played for the East Jr. High Hornets and then the Boise High Braves. I never played any other position but MLB and was recruited by a bunch of small colleges and three ivy league schools (Penn, Columbia and Yale). After visiting a bunch of small schools i chose Linfield College in McMinnville, Oregon. (They won the division II championship this year!!) I got college paid for me and played four years. My claim to fame was we intercepted a pass during a game and a guy from the other team (pacific) came off the sidelines and creamed our guy who intercepted the pass. I was blocking for him when it happened. It was a highlight on MNF and i got to see myself over and over. Pretty cool. I was offered a chance to play in Ireland for a new league but decided my football career was over. I now coach the Fins from my sofa here in Portland, Oregon just waiting for my chance to take over when Sabin retires. :)

If the Fins would only listen to us Arm Chair Coaches, we'd be set huh.

DII ball was a blast, I played at Angelo State in Texas. And to think I almost chased a girl to Texas A&M instead! Misery...

I played started all 4 seasons at my high school as a KR/CB and my senior year got an all-state honorable mention along with our unbelievable ILB. Really not saying much being in Indiana football class 1(the smallest) but it was great memories. Had a 96 int. return for TD that was the go ahead score with 1:30 left the 4th game of my junior year.

played TE in college, Div. II ask well as SG on the basketball team. Started for the basketball team but was 2nd string in football. I may have started on the bball team but I had no true talent for the game. Good shooter, great defender and passer but the slowest feet and worst verticle you've ever seen on someone 6'4. Did go on to play semi-pro ball for the Wichita Falls Drillers. Went undefeated for 2 years...was a backup TE and DE....again! But no pay even though we won all those games and noone ever showed up for our games. Got on with my life after that. Started managing Hooters in Addison, TX and in 2 weeks I go to work for the Karmina Palace in Manzanillo,Mexico.....ooops said too much but the Mexico thing is great money...I'm excited. :)

at 180lbs i was the smallest OLine man in the league, but I started two years as a guard and I also played DT in a 5-3

I played in Junior High as a DT/OG. I decided to go full steam at baseball instead of football..... I've regreted it ever since.

Back
Top Bottom