Killing Time: Past football experience. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Killing Time: Past football experience.

_dan24

wha?
Reaction score
I wanted to kill time before the draft.

Though this may be in the wrong area I figured maybe the Mods can let it slide for a little while. :D

Anyways, I wanted to see how many users played football in their time? Whether it be City league, pop Warner, High School, or even college and the NFL.

Oh, and coaches, too. I didn't want to leave anyone out. Don't be shy!

I will start it off. :D

I started playing when I was in Middle School. I begged my mom and she finally let me play (Thank God!); unfortunately, our team was called the Jets. How funny is that? There I played a lot of positions; I was a bit bigger than some at the time. (That later changed in HS), so I played center/linebacker. Then my coach finally let me play RB. I did pretty well there and made a few plays.

Once I realized that the city league was a joke I went on to Pop Warner. I played for the Naples Gators. I played TE/DE/LB/SS. I started at TE/DE. We actually won our championship for that division.

I was stoked. After the season ended I was going into my freshman year in High School. I got a letter in the mail from the High School coach inviting me to a meeting with a few other players from the Gators. So I went and they wanted us to switch and play for them. I agreed to play for them, but I should have stayed, because it turned out to be a big mistake. The year I left the Gators went on and won the State Championship. I should have been a part of that!

So anyways, my freshman year I switched to QB/FS. I faired pretty well at QB, it was a new position for me, but I picked up on it. I was more suited for safety, so I played more there.

My freshman year was cut very short. We were up by a large margin so my coach wanted me to get some reps in at QB. So I ran a few successful plays then I decided to scramble as I got tackled my head was knocked back. When I awoke from the tackle I was so out of it and temporarily lost feeling in my legs. I laid there until the paramedics carted me away in the ambulance. I was scared out of my mind, I thank god that I was able to regain feeling. When I got out of the hospital I had to do a few cat scans and rehab. It put me out for the whole year. I had to walk around school with a neck brace. I was bummed.

I did attempt to play again each year, but unfortunately my 5’ 10 160 pound body couldn’t hold up. Through my HS years I had pinched nerves, concussions, and a broken wrist.

The last draw came after my final concussion. My doctor ordered me to stop playing. The hardest part was telling my coaches I can’t play anymore. I was destroyed. They offered for me to stay along and help out with coaching, but I was so depressed. The other coach even offered for me to start Track. I guess I let it get to me too much.

Anyways, I finally got over it and became extremely obsessed with the Miami Dolphins and the NFL in general. So here I am now. :)

Played QB/WR in middle school and WR in high school.

Middle school nickname was the Buffaloes and High School was the Rams.

I played college but never made it to the big leagues. Got stuck on some amateur team called the Jets.

:wink:

I played football since I was 7. I started playing QB, couldnt pass but I could run one hell of a bootleg. Later in little league I moved to WR/LB I was one of the better players in the league(not trying to have a big head, but I made allstars every year). I started playing HS freshman year. I started at WR my FR and Soph year. Half way through my Sophomore year I got moved to Varsity. Junior year I started a few games at WR and started fulltime at Saftey, fairly new position for me. I was receiving alot of letters from smaller schools (one D1 school ;UNC) but come senior year I had a serious gf who I wanted to see more, and wanted more time with my friends, was smoking (out of shape when spring ball came around) and mostly I hated my headcoach, so I decided to quit. Ya that was the biggest mistake of my life. I go to UCF now and always wanted to try to walk on, cuz i know i could make it, but was never in god enough shape and now Im a junior, but I'm thinking about trying out for Semi-pro football, there is a team called the ORlando Rage or maybe even sometime trying arena for the Preditors, who knows. What a mistake I made!!!:fire:

I played in elementary(5th and 6th grade), and was starting TE and back up MLB in 5th. Then 6th grade I was G(specialized in pulling, because I was as fast as a lot of backs, just was over the stupid weight maximum to caryy the ball by 8 lbs), and I started MLB.

In middle school I also played. 7th grade, they kept me at G for the same reason, and started MLB. In 8th grade, it was a different coach, and he was all about speed on defense. So I got moved to starting DE and one of the faster guys was put at my MLB spot. But I was still starting so it was okay. Plus on offense I got to be the #2 TE again, so that made me happy.

Freshman year in HS, I started at guard, because of my strength/size/speed, until our starting tight end broke his foot(same guy who played ahead of me in 8th grade, he was 6'2" 240 as a freshman and could run people over), then I got moved back there. I was the #4 LB on the depth chart through the 1st 2 games, then I got put in at starting DE. Then our DT got hurt, and I had to start there(but I was no match for double teams, I was good at DE because I was quick off the snap and could get around the edge and hold my ground too). Needless to say I was moved back to DE within 2 games. Sophomore year I was back to being the #2 TE(The TE who was ahead of me freshman year got bumped to Varsity) and back-up DE and 4th LB though(because of the JV squad). Plus it was a different coach than our freshman one. And I hated how he ran practice, and how he thought speed(40 time/sprints, not in-game speed) was how he should put people at certain positions. And it really turned me off of playing football. So I lost my passion for the game and had to walk away. It was one of teh hardest things I ever did. But my senior year I ended up playing Lacrosse for the University of Toledo(I did post-secondary options, so I took college classes while I was technically in HS).

So all in all football was a great experience, and I grew a lot by experiencing it(the ups and downs).

I am also an education major, so when I start teaching, I plan on coaching too. I'm very excited at this experience, my main goal is to get into a good college later in my career coaching WR's or being an offensive coordinator. Maybe one day I will have the chance to coach my beloved Dolphins.....how awesome would that be!!!

knight6jb said:
I am also an education major, so when I start teaching, I plan on coaching too. I'm very excited at this experience, my main goal is to get into a good college later in my career coaching WR's or being an offensive coordinator. Maybe one day I will have the chance to coach my beloved Dolphins.....how awesome would that be!!!

Oh man, my dream is to become a coach! I'm not sure how to start though.

Right now I'm working in my dad's advertising firm.

i'm in school for chemical engineering. My very big pipe dream is to own the Dolphins or be CEO, so I'll keep at the top of my coaching list.

Frisches13283 said:
i'm in school for chemical engineering. My very big pipe dream is to own the Dolphins or be CEO, so I'll keep at the top of my coaching list.

Hey man I'm telling you now. I will be able to run a sick offense!!!

_dan24 said:
Oh man, my dream is to become a coach! I'm not sure how to start though.

Right now I'm working in my dad's advertising firm.

THe only problem is with coaching HS, you dont make jack sh*t. and it takes up alot of you time. If you have the time to sacrifice for the minimum pay do it. You could probably just find a way to speak with a head coach locally and tell him your ideas/circumstances. and find out what he could do for you. I know you need experience coaching to make it to the college level and from there I couldnt help you. My guess would be working at smaller D2,D3,AA schools and hoping to do well to move to better schools.

knight6jb said:
THe only problem is with coaching HS, you dont make jack sh*t. and it takes up alot of you time. If you have the time to sacrifice for the minimum pay do it. You could probably just find a way to speak with a head coach locally and tell him your ideas/circumstances. and find out what he could do for you. I know you need experience coaching to make it to the college level and from there I couldnt help you. My guess would be working at smaller D2,D3,AA schools and hoping to do well to move to better schools.

Yeah, I was thinking that I could start out geting on a coaching staff locally on a pop warner team. I don't really have the time though. Some day...

I played throughout high school, I could've played at a division 3 college but with an arthritic shoulder it was not worth it. I got into officiating for a little bit and saw the game from a "different angle," I stopped because I was about 5 years younger than the next closest person and about 20 years younger than the average official.

Back
Top Bottom