Kinda crazy idea. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kinda crazy idea.

Ducken

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I was just thinking about Norv and how long he will stay with the Dolphins, and I thought what if the Phins did a co-head coach thing with him and Wanny? Think about it Norv in charge of the Offence and Dave the D.. From what I remember Dave was an outstanding DC, and we all know what Norv is. This would allow them to get ride of Bates ( I believe he is the DC). As far as draft day, FA, and finnal cuts it would be a 3 way between Dave, Norv, and the GM. I am sure there would also have to be some other issues worked out, but I do like the idea of having Norv and Dave around for a while. I understand that this probably would not work, but hay. I'm just passing a couple of hours before I have to do a small job this morning.

I think Norv will stick around 2 years max. If we win the Super Bowl, he'll be gone after this year.

Not a bad idea, D. It's kinda like what's going on in Indy and Washington and St. Louis. Spurrier, Dungy, and Martz already have outstanding counterparts running the other side of the ball. So they'll just leave it alone for the most part (Spurrier could care less. LOL). Spurrier also did the same thing at UF when he had Bob Stoops as DC. And it worked. I think it'll work in Washington and Indy as well.

BUT......there can't be a "Co-Head Coach"-ing thing going on. It just doesn't work. It would ONLY cause problems. Dungy and Spurrier will leave the other side of the ball alone. But they are unquestionably the boss of the team. Turner is, however, an "Assistant Head Coach".

Truthfully, I think that Wanny will be doing a similar thing here in Miami. He'll be involved in the offense. But he's not gonna mess with Norv's system too much. He knows his buddy is a mastermind. Dave willll have final say on everything, of course.

And after seeing Bates' defense crack last year, Dave has already started tweaking the D.....saying that we'll play more zone and will bring a safety up to support the run (FINALLY...but I'll believe it when I see it). I really hope Dave jumps in there on D. He's an awesome defensive mind. Coached Dallas and UM's defenses to championships under Jimmy. And that just lends credence to Dave because Jimmy's philosophy was, "I'll bring in the talent. I'll be the CEO on the field. And I'll let my bright assistant coaches COACH" (make no mistake, Jimmy knew defense). Guys like Norv Turner, Dave Wannstedt, Butch Davis, Dave Campo, Tony Wise, Garry Stevens, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see hiim stay as long as possible, but you know the day is gonna come where he gets another shot at a head caoching gig.:cry:

That would suck, Ice. Norv's a great assistant. But as a HC, his teams are usually pretty soft, especially on D.

wanny is the head coach and doing a great job(22-10)jimmy never won 11 games in miami...dave said that he will be more involved in the defense this year...he will leave the offense alone as he has complete trust and faith in norv...i think norv will stay here as long as he wants...he said that he wont take a head coaching job just to take it...it has to be the right situation...

Norv might not get another head coaching shot. He was head coach of Washington for quite a while and really his excuses were minimal.

WANNE!!!!

Originally posted by jd13
wanny is the head coach and doing a great job(22-10)jimmy never won 11 games in miami...dave said that he will be more involved in the defense this year...he will leave the offense alone as he has complete trust and faith in norv...i think norv will stay here as long as he wants...he said that he wont take a head coaching job just to take it...it has to be the right situation...

DAVE KNOWS DEFENSE!!!!!!:)

Norv's a great offensive coordinator but in my opinion he's not a very good head coach. His teams in Washington were often poorly coached. I can't remember a year when football analysts would rate the different aspects of the Redskins and give the coaching an A or even a B.

In fact, most often I saw it graded as an F.

Interesting idea but that would be like trying to have two presidents run a country: it just wouldn't work. Someone has to be in charge no matter where you go or what you do; social dynamics dictate the necessity of a figurehead. Wanny's doing an excellent job and I look forward to many more years of his roaming the sidelines in his stylish polyester pants and 70's moustache.

Originally posted by Expo88
Interesting idea but that would be like trying to have two presidents run a country: it just wouldn't work. Someone has to be in charge no matter where you go or what you do; social dynamics dictate the necessity of a figurehead. Wanny's doing an excellent job and I look forward to many more years of his roaming the sidelines in his stylish polyester pants and 70's moustache.

You mean it would be like having three branches of relatively equal power with checks and balances on each other run a country. Yeah that'd be terrible.

ckparrothead, it works great for a country, but players need to KNOW who the boss is.

Besides, it takes the government FOREVER to get anything passed through congress...can you imagine how long it would take for us to make the fianl cuts? LMAO

I'm not saying the dual head coaching thing would work, I was just making a light joke at the statement "Interesting idea but that would be like trying to have two presidents run a country" since the fact of the matter we do have 3 separate relatively equal branches of government with checks and balances upon each other running the country...

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Norv's a great offensive coordinator but in my opinion he's not a very good head coach. His teams in Washington were often poorly coached. I can't remember a year when football analysts would rate the different aspects of the Redskins and give the coaching an A or even a B.

In fact, most often I saw it graded as an F.

Well, not exactly.
Norv coached 5 3/4 seasons in DC. He was left with a team that went 4-10 the previous year. He rebuilt the team, and in 3 years made it respectable, even took it took it to the NFC Championship game. Then Daniel Snyder bought the team and decided to play Fantasy Football with it, demanding among other things, Jeff George be brought in as a starter QB.

That the "experts" didn't give the Skins an "A" or a "B", it means squat. "Experts" are a dime a dozen.,

Norv really only managed to have one good season with the Redskins if I remember correctly. But they were not a very well-coached team from a discipline standpoint, and there's really absolutely no excuse for how the defense was performing for most all of those years. As a head coach he only finally managed to get the offense into what a Norv Turner pro offense looks like one season, and he NEVER got the defense to resemble anything even close to good. I know you can say that defense isn't his specialty but whatever, as a head coach you need to be able to handle the team and that means having a say in hiring a good defensive coordinator. The bottom line is he wasn't able to coach a complete team.

Back
Top Bottom