Kiper Suggest Dolphins trade Back Up | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper Suggest Dolphins trade Back Up

He made the two deals minutes apart.

Do you really believe the first wasn't contingent on the 2nd?

He traded back from 3 to 6 and picked up a 1st and a 3rd.
The 3rd is in 22 and the R1 23.

Just so you know --------- picks in the future are discounted for time value.

So let's put it this way ------ Grier dumped the #3 pick in the entire draft for

#6 in '21 and an R3 and R4 in 2021 value terms!

BTW that valuation is widely regarded as a reference standard in the league

which you can easily verify. And I'm leaving out the fact we LOST additional

value in the mid rounds in '21.

Try to trade that ’23 R1 on draft day in a few weeks for an R1. You’ll be laughed out of the league. Truth is you’d be lucky to get an R3 on draft day for that ’23 R1. It’s really that effing simple!

The 3rd is in 22 and the R1 23.

Just so you know --------- picks in the future are discounted for time value.

So let's put it this way ------ Grier dumped the #3 pick in the entire draft for

#6 in '21 and an R3 and R4 in 2021 value terms!

BTW that valuation is widely regarded as a reference standard in the league

which you can easily verify. And I'm leaving out the fact we LOST additional

value in the mid rounds in '21.
The league wide valuation standard is ridiculous. He deferred draft capital.....that is all.

As a shining example of how ridiculous it is I present the 2 1st's we acquired from the Texans. The one deemed more valuable was a 26th overall pick. The one deemed less valuable was traded for the 6th overall and additional assets.

Edit: What's really going to be funny is if we still get Pitts at #6 or if he's there and we pass on him.

Why are people so attached to Kiper? He's been wrong many times on his predictions. Look at his track record. We stay put at 6 and we get our playmaker.

OK dude, lend me $100K today and I'll pay you back in 3 years.

$100k. No interest.

Or you bro, give me your R1 in '21 and I'll give you mine 2 years down the line.

Any GM that accepted that deal would be certified insane.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand
Well the interest is another 1st round pick.

We're in a lengthy rebuild. We've built an enormous amount of draft capital, why spend it all at once?

What are you going to say if Pitts is there at 6? You'd rather they not have future capital?

Well the interest is another 1st round pick.

We're in a lengthy rebuild. We've built an enormous amount of draft capital, why spend it all at once?

What are you going to say if Pitts is there at 6? You'd rather they not have future capital?

Sorry but another R1 (simply a sawp deferred in time) is THE SAME as a loan with interest.

You want to buy an R1 in the upcoming draft -- only with picks -- you think some moron is going to give you their R1 for nothing more than an R1 in 2 years??? Stop the nonsense. That deal is gonna cost you a LOT more than that.

Pitts or not ------ that doesn't alter the fundamental poor value Grier got for the #3.

I'd say we should have Pitts AND an additional R2 in this draft. That's more in line with good value.

Fishy, write down the 3 players that you would have been happy to select at 3rd overall.....even if Lawrence and Wilson are 2 of them. I think there's some overreaction to the trade because of the Pitts overhype. He's one of several top prospects that could be available at 6 that didn't warrant a 3rd overall pick.

Sorry but another R1 (simply a sawp deferred in time) is THE SAME as a loan with interest.

You want to buy an R1 in the upcoming draft -- only with picks -- you think some moron is going to give you their R1 for nothing more than an R1 in 2 years??? Stop the nonsense. That deal is gonna cost you a LOT more than that.

Pitts or not ------ that doesn't alter the fundamental poor value Grier got for the #3.

I'd say we should have Pitts AND an additional R2 in this draft. That's more in line with good value.
Yeah ok you win.

That 3rd round pick we got from the Texans ended up slotting in at 3rd overall this year.

Yeah ok you win.

That 3rd round pick we got from the Texans ended up slotting in at 3rd overall this year.
That was lucky. If you make deals hoping for that kind of outcome as a steady diet you're a moron.

Plus you're MIXING trading for players with just trading for picks.

It's a VERY DIFFERENT dynamic.

That was lucky. If you make deals hoping for that kind of outcome as a steady diet you're a moron.

Plus you're MIXING trading for players with just trading for picks.

It's a VERY DIFFERENT dynamic.
So draft picks have a different value based on how you acquire them? Is that also a league wide standard?

Once again, he deferred draft capital because they are comfortable with a number of players at #6. They weren't at 12, that's why they had a 2nd deal in place.

We still have 4 picks in the top 50, and maybe 18 can be traded down for more value this year.

So draft picks have a different value based on how you acquire them? Is that also a league wide standard?

Once again, he deferred draft capital because they are comfortable with a number of players at #6. They weren't at 12, that's why they had a 2nd deal in place.

We still have 4 picks in the top 50, and maybe 18 can be traded down for more value this year.
very odd chap you are...

I have no idea where you ever got the idea Kiper turned down the Colts GM job because it NEVER happened. Twenty seven years ago he got into a feud with the Colts GM when the Colts didn’t draft Trent Dilfer with their first round draft pick. The Colts GM at the time stated that his neighbors knew more about the players in the draft than Kiper did. He basically said that Kiper didn’t know anything and was not respected around the NFL.

So getting into a disagreement with the Colts GM over who the Colts drafted is as close as he ever came to being the Colts GM.

I really have a hard time respecting your comments when they aren’t even accurate.

Pretty sure the story was told by kiper or in some kind of 30 for 30 or other documentary. I wouldn’t really interject with that had I not heard it as I was roughly 3 years old at the time.

I have a ton of respect for what Kipers done as a career. He’s helped create and fill niche and need for year round draft discussion. His animated character makes him perfect for the role.

He’s gotten bland and repetitive doing the same thing for 40 years but it’s hard not to respect him.

His success rate is on par with average NFL GMs.

I'm just not down with the idea that deferred gratification is less valuable...

When Mr. Grier came on board, he said he wanted to work the Dolphins into a position where we have 10 picks every year.

To achieve this, you must trade down sometimes... move players for picks... win the comp pick game... and I took him at his word.

He believes, as I do, that more picks is better than a few high picks, but fewer picks overall.

This is a foundational belief and I believe he'll continue to make decisions that lead to having 10ish picks most years.

Some of you don't like this approach, and I know I get snarky with the Willy Wonka references about "Daddy, I want it now", but honestly... that's all in fun.

But I think you'll need to accept that Grier will continue trading down as long as he's here.

Oh, he may trade up occasionally, but his M.O. is going to be trade down, and to take picks in future drafts. He isn't aiming to be here 5 years, his goal is 25 years.

Back
Top Bottom