Kiper thinks Smith is best bet for Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper thinks Smith is best bet for Miami

KB21 said:
Someone tell me when the wide receiver and running back positions became more important than the quarterback position.
Yeah really. You just don't get an opportunity to draft a potential franchise QB very often. If Miami passes on Alex Smith and he turns out to be just that, and Feeley fails, we'll all be killing Saban for this. Plus this draft is deep at RB and there will be someone available for us in the 3rd. I dunno, I love Ronnie Brown, but it just seems A LOT easier to find a RB than a QB. Just dont want to pass this opportunity up.

Kiper also said this morning on the" Mike and Mike show" that he has Mike Williams as the #1 rated player. 2 minutes later he said that he still has Brown at the top of his board but that Mike Williams was the best player. Once again proving that he's knows as much as the rest of us who follow high school and college prospects.

Ya know, I honestly don't listen to him unless he's on the Mike and Mike show....so I have a question for those who follow him......does he ever speak about talking with prospects? I've never heard him say he actually talks with them. I have seen him at a couple of different college practices...Texas and A@M.

But does he ever mention talking with the players?

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Well if we take Smith or Rodgers, my money is on Gus starting and AJ as backup. And then next year AJ is a cap cut.

naa i still think AJ will be given the shot, but if we draft a QB i think ihs leash will be MUCH MUCH shorter and if he plays even a little poorly hed be yanked...

Not a Kiper fan, but I asked who he would select at #2, not who he thinks Miami will. Maybe he said on radio that Brown would be their pick and is stating that he would select smith.

arsenal said:
im praying the niners take smith so if we take any QB its at least rodgers... smith is fiedler-esqe to me, wouldn't say his arm is weak but its not strong thats for sure... his mechanics are questionable and of course hes gonna have good numbers playing in the mountain west, haha... hes never played a team when they were ranked, came out of a gimmick offense, very skinny frame for an NFL pounding, just a lot more question marks around him that rodgers if you ask me...

I disagree with your assesment of Alex Smith. His arm may not be a howitzer the caliber of Andrew Walter's, but he has a good arm. I've watched him on film drive the ball with good velocity. His intermediate throws have very good zip on them, and velocity is a bigger indicator of arm strength than distance.

The most impressive thing about Alex Smith is that he makes all his reads before the snap. He can look at the defense and know where the opening is going to be. That's a quality only special quarterbacks have.

This guy completed 65% of his passes and had a 7:1 TD:INT ratio.

Mike Mayock from Playbook yesterday sed QB and LT are the "Biggest Value" positions on offense. I think everything else is replacable look at Denver the can plug in any running back and the can run for 1,000 yards. Wide reciever too unless ur a Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss or T.O you can put in any reciever. Id rather have a good core of recievers than 1 big superstar the Vikings realized this.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
He had a day or two ago Miami taking Brown on his mock.
He still has Miami taking Brown in his mock today. I think everyone is misundersatnding the question. The question was who he would take? Not who he though they would take? Two different questions.

Mel's mock is simply a prediction, not who somebody should take. If Smith is there and Saban does not take him and eventually becomes a star, the fans won't let that down. I still hear the Randy Moss talk. Fans don't forget.

J Tes said:
I think Mel thinks Miami will take Ronnie Brown. But this question was asked "who would he take"? and he said Alex Smith. I think they're two different questions. I don't think he flip floppin.

Great Point!

KB21 said:
I disagree with your assesment of Alex Smith. His arm may not be a howitzer the caliber of Andrew Walter's, but he has a good arm. I've watched him on film drive the ball with good velocity. His intermediate throws have very good zip on them, and velocity is a bigger indicator of arm strength than distance.

The most impressive thing about Alex Smith is that he makes all his reads before the snap. He can look at the defense and know where the opening is going to be. That's a quality only special quarterbacks have.

This guy completed 65% of his passes and had a 7:1 TD:INT ratio.

yes but any decent quarterback in the mountain west conference should be able to do that against the defenses there... im not saying he sucks, but hes not a top 10 guy in this draft to me... i dont think hes got a good arm, his out patterns seem to die on him, again hes got a fiedler arm to me...

and making reads before the snap is all well and good in the mountain west conference, but its a whole new ball game in the SEC and especially in the NFL...

KB21 said:
Someone tell me when the wide receiver and running back positions became more important than the quarterback position.

Glad to... When the two highest QB's rated in the draft would've been numbers 8 and 13 out of 25 last year.

Any more questions? These guys are just OK. They are NOT what they should be. In fact, the first 60 picks of this draft should just ALL be called the second round cuz this draft is full of great second round talent. Unfortunately they're gonna want first round money.

Rogers is a bad QB, trust me. He stares down his receivers so he's a Fiedler guy. Smith has better mental tools but lacks good mechanics. They're both projects.

Let's get Edwards or Mark Clayton or one of those can't miss guys like that.

perezferia said:
Glad to... When the two highest QB's rated in the draft would've been numbers 8 and 13 out of 25 last year.

Any more questions? These guys are just OK. They are NOT what they should be. In fact, the first 60 picks of this draft should just ALL be called the second round cuz this draft is full of great second round talent. Unfortunately they're gonna want first round money.

Rogers is a bad QB, trust me. He stares down his receivers so he's a Fiedler guy. Smith has better mental tools but lacks good mechanics. They're both projects.

Let's get Edwards or Mark Clayton or one of those can't miss guys like that.

Trust you? Who are you? :shakeno: A guy with an opinion...nothing more. Youre entitled to your opinion but i totally disagree.How about this...TRUST ME Rodgers will be a ProBowl QB several times over and a star. Hows that? The guy has fantastic mechanics, a great arm, is highly intelligent and most of all has a passion for the game and a determination to be great. Ohh yea and since it seems Rodgers is not an option for us anymore id love to see Smith here.

News Flash....Nick Saban makes the decisions not Mel...I never touched a football Kiper.

Back
Top Bottom