Kirk Merrit | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kirk Merrit

Because he's fast and can jump? sounds fun

Did you know he plays the receiver position? Your post didn't mention it so I googled the name to find out.

Maybe you should say more about why you think this way ... what position he plays ... what impact do you think he may have etc. ... just food for thought

No offense, but I think even a casual visitor of this site is familiar with our signing of Merritt. It was well discussed after our UDFA’s were announced. And OP mentioned the workout numbers and said they can’t wait to see him get coached up. Point of the post was pretty clear IMO

He’s actually only 6’ tall but i guarantee he is still a burner.

I want to see a combination of him, cole, and Perry this pre season and hopefully they can steal the spots from Hurns and Grant.

The 5th/6th WR slots will be fun to watch. each have their own skills. Which one Flo values most will be interesting

And now you know why they did not bother to draft a receiver. He has the potential to be a a #1
A parker, preston, wilson, merrit lineup is going to eat if the line can give the QB time.

While Williams showed last year that an undrafted free agent can come in and contribute as a starter, I just don’t see Merrit being the next Williams. I doubt he makes the final roster and perhaps he is signed to the practice squad. I think there are plenty of WR’s already on the roster who will be better than Merrit.

No offense, but I think even a casual visitor of this site is familiar with our signing of Merritt. It was well discussed after our UDFA’s were announced. And OP mentioned the workout numbers and said they can’t wait to see him get coached up. Point of the post was pretty clear IMO

Cool ... glad you're on top of it ... I guess naming a player and then saying something like wow he's fast and will be fun to watch or watch being coached is a pretty cool thread ... my bad ... no offense taken ... I just need more info than you and my memory may not be as strong as yours ...

don't like the advice that tells you when you start a new thread to include a tad more pertinent information for those of us that sometimes "grab and go"? ok ... no big deal my friend

assuming that "even a casual visitor of this site" is familiar with all of the UDFA's seems a tad unrealistic IMO

My apologies for not knowing WTF Merritt is without a peek

Already familiar with the RPO scheme. He's tough. I see why they were interested in him as an UDFA. He's an aggressive run blocker.

Thanks for that video @finomenal .

From that video (I haven't done any real research on Meritt), he definitely does not play like he has 4.33 speed. I'd say closer to 4.5 than 4.3, so I'm not expecting him to compete with the speed guys on our team. Very poor level of competition. That video was hard to watch honestly. And ... Meritt seemed like the 3rd or 4th option in the passing game ... not really what you want to see against that level of competition. But, who knows. Good luck to the kid.

At Arkansas State’s pro-day Merritt was able to participate, where he destroyed expectations. These were his results:

• 4.33 in the 40-yard dash (2nd among combine WRs)
  • 4.02 in the 20-yard shuttle (1st among combine WRs)
  • 45.5-inch vertical jump (1st among combine WRs)
  • 23 bench press reps (1st among combine WRs)
  • 11’3” broad jump (3rd among combine WRs)
All of that at 6’0” 215-pounds, and all results were verified by former NFL scout, Josh Cox. The athleticism is nothing new as he won the Nike SPARQ National Championship in high school (2014) and was a track and field star in Louisiana. In his Senior year of high school, he ran a 10.45 100m.
There was a dude here not that long ago that run 4.37 40, 4.17 short shuttle, 6.87 3 cone, 40" vertical and had a 10' 11" broad jump. Went by the name Edmund Gates...NFL.com gave him a rating a 7.00, which means he had the potential to be a pro bowler. Athleticism isn't everything.

His behavior history. Skill wise he is what you get.
What remains to be seen is if those measurables and his college tape translate to being an NFL receiver. For example, I could generally give a rip about a guy’s 40 time. Most of the top receivers in the league were not burners in the 40. So many receivers were top-10 busts because teams focus too much on their apparent athleticism without sufficiently weighing how their football skills translate to the NFL. As a UDFA, he’s well worth the gamble but let’s temper expectations. No one saw fit to invest even a 7th rounder in him. There are issues there.

Back
Top Bottom