Kobe Bryant reportedly killed in California helicopter crash | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kobe Bryant reportedly killed in California helicopter crash

Growing up a huge Lakers fan and proudly admitting that I was part of “Kobe Mafia” we lost a legend today. I’ll never forget when he spoke to us at SC, so inspiring and something I’ll never forget.

I was fortunate enough to watch Kobe's career since I was a child. Never missed a game on TV and would stay up watching streams on the internet in high school. I am so crushed by this news, lost my favorite athlete ever today

I'll bite my tongue concerning some of this and just say I feel bad for most of the passengers and their families.

I get the sentiment that some have already said - we didn’t know these people and so why does it bother you - people die every day etc etc etc.

But this is a sports related forum, many of us grew up watching Kobe and in a small way you grow familiar with that person, not that you know them but that you feel like you know them. You’re right, 7 other people that didn’t have the last name Bryant also lost their lives. And that’s horrible. But it’s not the same as when you’re acquainted with a person, even if it’s only by watching them.

It hits home. It makes you feel more vulnerable. It’s the realization that, even when you’ve hit LEGENDARY status, you are still susceptible to life’s randomness like everyone else. Less than 24 hours ago, Kobe was congratulating LeBron on Twitter and not 12 hours later Kobe and his poor daughter are both dead. So yeah, it hits home with a lot of people, and justifiably so.

/rant

I get the sentiment that some have already said - we didn’t know these people and so why does it bother you - people die every day etc etc etc.

But this is a sports related forum, many of us grew up watching Kobe and in a small way you grow familiar with that person, not that you know them but that you feel like you know them. You’re right, 7 other people that didn’t have the last name Bryant also lost their lives. And that’s horrible. But it’s not the same as when you’re acquainted with a person, even if it’s only by watching them.

It hits home. It makes you feel more vulnerable. It’s the realization that, even when you’ve hit LEGENDARY status, you are still susceptible to life’s randomness like everyone else. Less than 24 hours ago, Kobe was congratulating LeBron on Twitter and not 12 hours later Kobe and his poor daughter are both dead. So yeah, it hits home with a lot of people, and justifiably so.

/rant
Well, that's not really what I meant. It's not just that a sports star died. I get that some of you may feel worse about that than a lot of other people. I just don't feel as bad as some about certain types of people dying. I didn't feel bad when Aaron Hernandez died.

Did you know that 30 Marines and 1 Sailor died in a helicopter crash today in Iraq? I'm guessing most people don't know that, because ABC didn't interrupt what they were watching to announce it.

Well, that's not really what I meant. It's not just that a sports star died. I get that some of you may feel worse about that than a lot of other people. I just don't feel as bad as some about certain types of people dying. I didn't feel bad when Aaron Hernandez died.

Did you know that 30 Marines and 1 Sailor died in a helicopter crash today in Iraq? I'm guessing most people don't know that, because ABC didn't interrupt what they were watching to announce it.
My brother in law died in Iraq several years ago, so I can empathize there. Listen man, I get it. I think that’s more of an indictment on the media and popular culture than anything else but your point stands.

My point is simply that this type of thing tends to feel more personal than other similar stories simply because it was a well-known figure - one who obviously positively impacted a lot of people’s lives.

I can't find anything about this. Link?

That’s article about the 31 soldiers happened in 2005. The date is in the article.

That’s article about the 31 soldiers happened in 2005. The date is in the article.
You're right. I googled "NBA rapist dies in helicopter crash," read through it and saw someone mention 30 Marines and 1 sailor, and I googled that. I foolishly thought that link was what he was talking about and didn't pay much attention.

You're right. I googled "NBA rapist dies in helicopter crash," read through it and saw someone mention 30 Marines and 1 sailor, and I googled that. I foolishly thought that link was what he was talking about and didn't pay much attention.

You really thought a second helicopter crash killing 31 members of the military in Iraq wouldn't get a mention in the national news? You can't be that naive.

Anyways it's been a rough day. Kobe was so revered, whether you liked him or not, you knew how great he was. This entire week will be an emotional rollercoaster and I am gutted for the families of all the victims this evening.

My brother in law died in Iraq several years ago, so I can empathize there. Listen man, I get it. I think that’s more of an indictment on the media and popular culture than anything else but your point stands.

My point is simply that this type of thing tends to feel more personal than other similar stories simply because it was a well-known figure - one who obviously positively impacted a lot of people’s lives.

Some people just miss the point completely. Or want to take an opposing POV just because.

I think it's safe to say that a vast majority of people are sad to hear of ANYONE dying tragically. But other than their families and friends, the masses don't know of or anything about the 31 enlisted men/women. But they know of Kobe Bryant and other celebs like him.

Even without actually ever meeting a person, if you've grown up following their career, watching their performances and hearing them speak in public -- it's easy to feel like you know them a little bit. And in truth, you do. No matter how little that might be. Personality comes out via performance.

I mean, it's not some selective phenomenon. Millions of people share the feeling whenever something like this happens. To dismiss it is naive. It is a real thing.

As I stated before, I'm an anti-Lakers fan and hated Kobe and Shaq circa 1996 - 2005. But over time I grew to appreciate and admire their careers. They both grew up as people as they aged and started their families. I now consider myself a fan even though I rooted against them and their teams.

But whether it be music, sports, literature, politics, whatever. People are often moved and inspired by those that can do things they can't. Or are great at something they enjoy to follow. Hence they feel a connection to them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

For someone to compare that to other strangers they know nothing about, not even their name, is simply missing the mark. It's comparing apples to oranges.

I don't know and have never met the great Dan Marino. But if anything like this had happened to him back in the day, I'd have been crushed. I'd be crushed now. Because I grew up idolizing him as a player and the competitor I got to know via media interviews and news stories. I lived and died on Sunday's with every throw he made and every game the Dolphins won or lost. Dan Marino (and the Dolphins org) are a part of my life despite the fact that I've never met or talked with him.

Same goes for Kobe Bryant. I was 25 yo when he entered the NBA. His playing career up until today encompasses half my life. I saw him play in person numerous times. I realize, like everyone, he's a flawed human being. And made mistakes. IDK whether he ever committed a crime or not. I just know he was never tried and convicted of one. So I choose to give the benefit of the doubt.

But by accounts of those that do know him, he's been a good husband and father for a long time now. It's clear he was an active and loving parent of 4 daughters. And I can relate to that. I also relate to his 'Mamba Mentality'.

Judging by the outpouring of support from millions and millions of people around the globe, it's clear they found something relatable too.

Again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom