Kudos To Front Office, Grier For Being Flexible | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kudos To Front Office, Grier For Being Flexible

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a crystal ball and could say for sure that Josh Rosen turns out to be the next great Miami quarterback. That's the one position that the team hasn't gotten right forever. Think about this. What do Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan all have in common, besides being top 10 quarterbacks in the NFL? They were passed up by our Miami Dolphins. That ineptness has cost this team dearly and is the major reason for so few playoff trips over the last 20 years.

I truly believe Miami went into this draft with the mindset of getting two starters on the offensive and defensive lines and looking to draft a quarterback in 2020. But when it became apparent that Arizona was shopping Rosen, the team switched gears, did their due diligence and pounced.

This is Grier's first real venture into the quarterback market. He obviously liked Rosen more than Dwayne Haskins, or Haskins would probably be a Miami Dolphin. He had a strong conviction, one that I hope plays out favorably.

I will say that I believe Rosen will be a really good fit in a NE based offense, if that's what Miami plans to run. Based on the draft, it also looks like Flores and company want to run the ball after drafting two physical offensive lineman and a fullback.

I trust Grier's decision making much more than previous regimes that couldn't spot elite talent if it fell into their laps. The list of misses is staggering. Carey instead of Wilfork, Davis over Clay Matthews, trading down and missing on Earl Thomas. Misi over Gronk, and on an on.

Grier's first draft selection was Laremy Tunsil. He's already a top 5 left tackle in this league. He traded up for X. Howard in round two in that same draft. I can't name five corners I'd rather have. Fitzpatrick looks like he could be elite and perhaps Wilkins too. Plenty of holes on this roster, but Grier isn't missing the top end talent very often.

I also love how the 2020 draft is setup. Every year, I look at New England and the Patriots somehow end up with 10 or more picks every draft. I think that's what's going to happen in Miami now. As it stands, Miami should have multiple picks next year in round 2, round 3, round 4 and I believe round 7. The team can "play it forward" like New England does and gain picks for 2021 as well. That's how you build a team.

Again, I'm not sure if Rosen is the guy. But a swing and a miss in the second round is better than whiffing at the top of the draft. And if Rosen is the guy, what a great start for this new regime with draft picks galore in 2020.

I loved the two stages of the Rosen deal. We could easily have just given our original pick but traded down, had to sweeten the deal to get him, but still basically swapped a fifth this year for a second next year.

A lesser FO would have just given up the original pick and kept the fifth this year.

Last edited:
I wish I had a crystal ball and could say for sure that Josh Rosen turns out to be the next great Miami quarterback. That's the one position that the team hasn't gotten right forever. Think about this. What do Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan all have in common, besides being top 10 quarterbacks in the NFL? They were passed up by our Miami Dolphins. That ineptness has cost this team dearly and is the major reason for so few playoff trips over the last 20 years.

I truly believe Miami went into this draft with the mindset of getting two starters on the offensive and defensive lines and looking to draft a quarterback in 2020. But when it became apparent that Arizona was shopping Rosen, the team switched gears, did their due diligence and pounced.

This is Grier's first real venture into the quarterback market. He obviously liked Rosen more than Dwayne Haskins, or Haskins would probably be a Miami Dolphin. He had a strong conviction, one that I hope plays out favorably.

I will say that I believe Rosen will be a really good fit in a NE based offense, if that's what Miami plans to run. Based on the draft, it also looks like Flores and company want to run the ball after drafting two physical offensive lineman and a fullback.

I trust Grier's decision making much more than previous regimes that couldn't spot elite talent if it fell into their laps. The list of misses is staggering. Carey instead of Wilfork, Davis over Clay Matthews, trading down and missing on Earl Thomas. Misi over Gronk, and on an on.

Grier's first draft selection was Laremy Tunsil. He's already a top 5 left tackle in this league. He traded up for X. Howard in round two in that same draft. I can't name five corners I'd rather have. Fitzpatrick looks like he could be elite and perhaps Wilkins too. Plenty of holes on this roster, but Grier isn't missing the top end talent very often.

I also love how the 2020 draft is setup. Every year, I look at New England and the Patriots somehow end up with 10 or more picks every draft. I think that's what's going to happen in Miami now. As it stands, Miami should have multiple picks next year in round 2, round 3, round 4 and I believe round 7. The team can "play it forward" like New England does and gain picks for 2021 as well. That's how you build a team.

Again, I'm not sure if Rosen is the guy. But a swing and a miss in the second round is better than whiffing at the top of the draft. And if Rosen is the guy, what a great start for this new regime with draft picks galore in 2020.

Well said and True!

Imagine this dream scenario.....

Rosen is that guy...Miami gets the #1 overall.... and gets a boatload to trade out of # 1 next year because Tua is the prize....Miami would also have the #1 on day 2 and 3 which nets more potential picks.... Miami is loaded with picks in 2020 and 2021 to build a powerhouse, and to keep shuffling some to future drafts to ensure we always have a draft day advantage.... that is they key to this league.

If Rosen hasn’t proven himself completely by the end of 2020.... we are loaded to get Trevor!

Or a fifth for Rosen and swapping a late 2nd this year for an unknown 2nd next year.
Oh God that’s even better. A fifth for Rosen, how can you argue with that?

Look like they got plan as long as they can coach player up to be good. U got win some game. Don't be like hue Jackson..setting up next coach win with ur players

Well said and True!

Imagine this dream scenario.....

Rosen is that guy...Miami gets the #1 overall.... and gets a boatload to trade out of # 1 next year because Tua is the prize....Miami would also have the #1 on day 2 and 3 which nets more potential picks.... Miami is loaded with picks in 2020 and 2021 to build a powerhouse, and to keep shuffling some to future drafts to ensure we always have a draft day advantage.... that is they key to this league.

If Rosen hasn’t proven himself completely by the end of 2020.... we are loaded to get Trevor!

Lets not forget the projected 2020, 120 million in cap space.....

Oh God that’s even better. A fifth for Rosen, how can you argue with that?
Yep. I’m excited. I’m from Germany and didn’t plan to go to a game this year but I’m pondering it right now. Might go to New York in December with the wifey because I’ve always wanted to be there during Christmas time. And catch a Dolphins game at MetLife. Would be even better if it had playoff implications.

Or a fifth for Rosen and swapping a late 2nd this year for an unknown 2nd next year.

This............ A lot of people say we traded our 2nd and a 5th this year and in return we get their second next year. So I really comes down to a 5th for Rosen. What a steal!

Miami basically got Rosen and a 2019 6th (202) for a 2019 mid 4th (116) and a unknown 2020 5th.

The 2019 2nd (62) we gave to Zona and the unknown 2020 2nd we get from the Saints should be close to a wash (but if the Saints unexpectedly have a bad year the value gain will be even that more impressive).

I'm ok with giving Grier credit for making the trade for Rosen but I'm not sure HE is the one that wanted Rosen. Flores and Oshea liked Rosen coming out of college last year and they told Grier about it. Also, it helps that Caldwell is a very good QB's coach which should help Rosen a lot. At first I was upset we traded a 2nd for him, only because I thought we could get him for our 3rd round pick but there's no doubt he has some talent and if this thing works out then we got a total steal and cheap too as Arizona already paid him most of his contract.

Schefter pointed out that this is the first time this has happened since the merger in 1970. Grier/Flores saw a golden opprotunity that other teams didn't understand. Then they still managed to complete their goal of acquiring another second round next year, all while shaking Arizona down and forcing them to come at their price. They now walked away from the draft with 2 trench starters, and maybe the franchise QB for peanuts in the grand scheme of it all. And hey if he doesn't work out we can still get another one this year or next

I really thought they would get a quarterback this year because it makes the most sense. If it doesn't work out they can grab one next year no downside win win

Miami basically got Rosen and a 2019 6th (202) for a 2019 mid 4th (116) and a unknown 2020 5th.

The 2019 2nd (62) we gave to Zona and the unknown 2020 2nd we get from the Saints should be close to a wash (but if the Saints unexpectedly have a bad year the value gain will be even that more impressive).
Kdawg, I just wanted to put it on the record that you were right and I was wrong about Arizona getting a 2nd round pick for Rosen. You kept telling me they'd get a 2nd and I kept saying they'd only get a 3rd cause they were going to have no leverage. But I like to man up when I'm wrong and give you credit that you were right. As you know I normally agree with you most of the time but on that trade we just couldn't agree so props to you for being right.

Back
Top Bottom