Kudos to Grier/Flores | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kudos to Grier/Flores

The major weakness I see on this team is definitely RB, which we fielded a bottom 3 RB room last season in terms of talent and will undoubtedly stay in the bottom 5 in production/talent again this season. I could see us being bottom 7-10 in production if our OL improves (which I expect it to), but that will most likely be the most noticeable weak point.
I agree. I think Miami's running backs are serviceable, but bottom five in the NFL is probably spot on. Of course, I have no idea about the rookie. Also, I think the additions on the offensive line and bringing in the type of speed teams will have to account for (Fuller, Waddle) will help the run game.

I definitely am curious as to how Miami see's Long's contributions year one. Do they view him as insurance in case Gesicki proves hard to sign, or goes elsewhere? Do they see two tight-end sets with Long and Gesicki? Was he simply too good to pass up, their top rated player on the board?

I mention Long specifically because Sermon was there for the taking in round three. I have no idea which player turns out better, but that is something to watch IMO.

This is like looking at the way we drafted this year.

All those possibilities are there, and they each can be taken advantage of in the teams favor.

This is a VERY GOOD way to be set up for both the short term and long term future, both in the draft and for the pre-season..

We had more draft resources than anyone. And while we may not have maximized their uses, IMHO, we still came away with 5 good football players and potentially one great player in Jaelan Phillips if everything works out. Who knows, maybe Waddle can deliver on the Tyreek Hill comparison everyone seems to want to make ... but I doubt it. Holland is an intriguing prospect who, like Phillips, is perfectly suited for Coach Flo's defense, and could really flourish into a top player. But, he has a lot of risk as well. He's a thin kid and has had some injuries. He is in that danger zone of becoming a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none that is precisely what Minkah Fitzpatrick wanted to avoid. The Swiss Army Knife of good but not great. The Crash Jensen of Coach Flo's defense.

Tua can't say we didn't build around him, because with a high 1st round WR choice (Waddle), high 2nd round OT choice (Eichenberg/Mr.Eincredible), and a highly rated 3rd round TE (Long), we essentially surrounded him with an entire draft on top of an entire draft last year 1st (Austin Jackson), 2nd (Robert Hunt) and 4th (Solomon Kindley), plus big FA acquisitions in WR Will Fuller and C Skura to go along with the most productive TE room in Miami Dolphins' history. So, if Tua cannot succeed ... it's not because we didn't surround him with talent. That's like 9 of the other 10 starting positions on offense fully invested in building around Tua. We have set Tua up for tailor-made success. If it doesn't work ... it's on Tua.

So the clock starts ticking. What is our offense's PPD (Points Per Drive), what is Tua's YPA (Yards Per Attempt), what is our 3rd down conversion rate? These are now all on the table as valid discussion topics. He's fully healed, fully supported, stocked with lots of top talent from both the legacy team, draft, and free agency. If Grier is going to build a winner ... the time is now.

No more talk about us rebuilding. We are rebuilt.

Now let's WIN. The clock starts NOW.
Exactly right. The clock starts now.

Looking at the roster, Miami has five 1st round picks invested on the offense with Tua, Jackson, Waddle, Parker and Fuller (not a Miami draft pick obviously). In other words, the number of 1st rounders Alabama had on offense in this draft!

The Dolphins look like a serious contender on paper. Granted, the team is young, has new offensive coordinators and is in a division that should be really competitive.

This year, even with an improved and cohesive roster I'm worried that Tua will be facing expectations that will be difficult to achieve. It's essentially playoffs or bust for Miami in 2021. And if the answer is bust I'm not sure Tua gets another chance.
I understand your sentiment regarding Tua's growth and expectations. If Tua's play regresses or remains the same then yes we need to prepare for another QB. However, IF he makes statistical improvement and passes the "eye test" looking better and making good decisions he should be given another season at the least. This is a team sport. Injuries could derail the defense; our often injured wide receivers may continue to play gimpy; we may not win turn-over battles (Do you expect Howard to have as many INTs?) next year.

I'll say its all a big "IF", for now. Things seem to be moving in the right direction, especially with Flores as the coach and the people who've been assembled in the F/O.

With that being said, lots of IF's all around.

1) If Miami's young offensive linemen come together and play an improved game as a unit, a unit that showed too many cracks late in the season. They need to improve, if not, its a long season.

2) If Miami's young secondary players can make the Improvements necessary to take the next step in helping the secondary become the Elite Unit fans expect. There is an awful lot of talent back there, to give up the yards they did. Improvement is needed. The coverage ability of Rowe and now Holland should help.

3) If Miami's front seven can take the next step in pressuring the QB, the entire defense, has a chance to transform itself.

Overall, it appears Grier, Allen and McKenzie are slowly building the team in a way that resembles what happened in New England. They prioritize coverage in the secondary and pressure up front, from various looks. They are righting the ship from past mishaps. If the last 2 draft classes make strides sooner rather than later, Miami may become perennial threat to the division.
While the running back room looks like bottom five in the league, the secondary could be top five. As you said, a lot depends on the young players.

Igbinoghene is someone I expect to make a significant leap in year two. It was interesting that he was the one Flores went to early in the season when Jones was injured. In retrospect, Igbinoghene wasn't ready. But it does tell you a lot that Flores had him out there over Needham and some others. I think he could compete with Coleman and Needham for that slot role. Holland might be in the mix there as well.

The biggest weakness, IMO, is the QB position right now.

I'm a big Tua guy but the amount of pressure he will face once the season starts will be borderline unfair given his expedited recovery timeline and having his rookie season hampered by COVID rules.

I'm certainly bullish on Miami - Last year at this time I thought they should contend and/or be in the playoff race with Fitzpatrick at the helm.

This year, even with an improved and cohesive roster I'm worried that Tua will be facing expectations that will be difficult to achieve. It's essentially playoffs or bust for Miami in 2021. And if the answer is bust I'm not sure Tua gets another chance.
I don't disagree that Tua is a question mark until he shows more on the field but he's not a real concern to me. I believe he is good enough to be our Qb as he flashes a bit as a rook with all the reasons that have been beaten to death .... Is he a superstar? Jury is out IMO.

The team's running game should be fine as long as the OL has gelled a bit from a yr. ago and I believe with a full camp they will have come together.
I would rather see a bonafide threat in the backfield but if the receiving corps is strong then that will give us opportunity for a run game.

Our Lbers is my biggest concern. Having an all pro in the middle would be the ticket for me. If wishes were horses I'd be riding in style... and I would need a big corral :chuckle:

While the running back room looks like bottom five in the league, the secondary could be top five. As you said, a lot depends on the young players.

Igbinoghene is someone I expect to make a significant leap in year two. It was interesting that he was the one Flores went to early in the season when Jones was injured. In retrospect, Igbinoghene wasn't ready. But it does tell you a lot that Flores had him out there over Needham and some others. I think he could compete with Coleman and Needham for that slot role. Holland might be in the mix there as well.
I keep mentioning the secondary because of the QB's around the league and within the division with Josh Allen having killed Miami ever since he entered the NFL. Flores is smart. If you can regulate the QB and keep him off his game, you can beat him. You need athletes to do that. You need safeties who can cover. Miami now has 3 safeties who appear to give Flores versatility and coverage ability. And to think, I'm not sure he's done.

I think they did pretty good and got some potential impact players.. but

A little OT, but if 2/3 of Miami's 1st/2nd year players show improvement by game 8, that's a high number. Flo's kudos will be measured somewaht by that improvement

Funny seeing RB's being so dismissed
We have had an awful running game for 2 years now and some are trying to say no big deal?
May be the worst running game ever for the Fins save the later Jimmy Johnson years
Competency is needed and consistency is needed
We have niether
Anyone of talent we had was removed

The running game can be improved in lots of ways:

-adding speed at WR to keep safeties back and out of the box
-adding quality and depth to the offensive line
-adding more or more talented RB's

We did all three, not sure of the complaining and saying the running game is being dismissed. Just appropriate allocation of resources.

IMO our backs are going to look just fine as defenses try to account for both Fuller and Waddle in our offense on top of the big pass catching targets we've had and will continue to roll out there. If the line makes the improvement we all think it can given more additions and a year under their belt for the rookies then the running game really should not be an issue. Can we improve it with a stud RB down the road, sure, but that's the icing on the cake, for now we've gone about it as prudently as possible while addressing all our other team needs as well.

The running game can be improved in lots of ways:

-adding speed at WR to keep safeties back and out of the box
-adding quality and depth to the offensive line
-adding more or more talented RB's

We did all three, not sure of the complaining and saying the running game is being dismissed. Just appropriate allocation of resources.

IMO our backs are going to look just fine as defenses try to account for both Fuller and Waddle in our offense on top of the big pass catching targets we've had and will continue to roll out there. If the line makes the improvement we all think it can given more additions and a year under their belt for the rookies then the running game really should not be an issue. Can we improve it with a stud RB down the road, sure, but that's the icing on the cake, for now we've gone about it as prudently as possible while I we have
I am of the opinion we do not have a true starting RB on roster
Our running game will be below average...IMO

Back
Top Bottom