Kudos to the Front Office for Being Bold | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kudos to the Front Office for Being Bold

And what also irks me is how many times are we creating holes ourselves by not resigning young talent that actually does pan out. Draft picks offer nothing but hope and based on our track record I'm not hopeful. Consider our current lack of a pass rusher again despite investing five 1st or 2nd round draft pics at the DE position since 2008.

2008 Philip Merling (3.5 sacks)
2010 Jared Odrick (16.5 sacks w/MIA)
2012 Olivier Vernon (29 sacks w/MIA)
2013 Dion Jordan (3 sacks w/MIA)
2017 Charles Harris (3 sacks)

Wish we would have drafted better, but none of those guys were worth big money contracts after their rookie deals, not even Vernon...

Would be great if Rosen shows he can ball against legit NFL defenses despite how the team has handicapped him so we can build around him rather than having to shoot craps on an unproven college QB who's thrown against defenders who will soon be FEDEX drivers.

We could be the Miami Dolphins of the last 20 years. Missing on high draft pick after high draft pick. Constant shuffling of head coaches and different schemes, poor scouting, and poor player development have led us to where are now. Inexcusable to have an offensive line that is in complete shambles. Look how many draft picks (rounds 1-3) we've invested over the last 20yrs and have zip to show for it.
1999 Grey Ruegamer
2000 Todd Wade
2002 Seth McKinney
2003 Wade Smith & Taylor Whitley
2004 Vernon Carey
2007 Samson Satele
2008 Jake Long
2010 John Jerry
2011 Mike Pouncey
2012 Jonathan Martin
2013 Dallas Thomas
2014 Billy Turner
2014 JaWuan James
2016 Laremy Tunsil
2019 Michael Deiter
All good points. And yet Cleveland somehow has been worse!

On a more serious note, I believe the days of spending wildly on F/A are gone. And a more strategical approach will be the norm. I don't sense Miami will over spend on a player just to make noise in F/A like in years past. If done correctly they'll find the exact player they need at a certain position and make solid offers. But from here on in, its going to be more of what we've seen so far in 2019. As Grier has noted, he'd like to have about 10 picks in every draft. I think this is where Miami will make a difference in how they shape the team. Marvin Allen and Reggie McKenzie are two of the best talent evaluators in the NFL. They'll help enormously moving forward. I can't wait to see the finished product they put on the field in about 3 years.

And what also irks me is how many times are we creating holes ourselves by not resigning young talent that actually does pan out. Draft picks offer nothing but hope and based on our track record I'm not hopeful. Consider our current lack of a pass rusher again despite investing five 1st or 2nd round draft pics at the DE position since 2008.

Ouch. Plus, you've got to draft pass rushers. Rare to see good ones hit the open market.

On a more serious note, I believe the days of spending wildly on F/A are gone. And a more strategical approach will be the norm. I don't sense Miami will over spend on a player just to make noise in F/A like in years past. If done correctly they'll find the exact player they need at a certain position and make solid offers. But from here on in, its going to be more of what we've seen so far in 2019. As Grier has noted, he'd like to have about 10 picks in every draft. I think this is where Miami will make a difference in how they shape the team. Marvin Allen and Reggie McKenzie are two of the best talent evaluators in the NFL. They'll help enormously moving forward. I can't wait to see the finished product they put on the field in about 3 years.
Thankfully, I believe they've finally figured that part out. Ross letting Tannenbaum go as a primary example.

I just threw up in my mouth.

Agreed! And cherry on top Rosen could very well put us in a nice Alex Smith/Maholmes type situation. If we can develop him this year, and then draft a guy next year. Let our first rounder sit and develop and hope Rosen balls out so we can flip him for high compensation.

Ouch. Plus, you've got to draft pass rushers. Rare to see good ones hit the open market.
It's one of the more interesting things about the salary cap. The bad teams still have trouble keeping talent. Perhaps those are also the teams that spend unwisely in free agency.

Just think how exciting it could be if Miami has that #1 overall pick with Tua there for the taking. Then the team doesn't have to use draft capital to deal up. I don't know much about the 2020 class yet, but hopefully there is a lot of talent on the offensive line. I could see the Dolphins going Tua, OL, OL, OL with their second #1 and both #2's.
That would be great. Then don't forget they have several extra pics in 2020 to move up if they wish to nab a LT or DE in the first with the Houston pic. Plus if we do get Tua, a right tackle can be had later in the 1st round than a left. I don't wish anything bad for Houston but, ……. oh hell, yes I do! Let's go Saints!

Just think how exciting it could be if Miami has that #1 overall pick with Tua there for the taking. Then the team doesn't have to use draft capital to deal up. I don't know much about the 2020 class yet, but hopefully there is a lot of talent on the offensive line. I could see the Dolphins going Tua, OL, OL, OL with their second #1 and both #2's.

Nothing in the world would make me happier

I with hold judgement until I see how wisely they use these picks and free agency money. Ireland who is hated by many got great value on the Dion Jordan trade that Ross and the rest of the staff really coveted and we know how that worked out.

I can say right up front I want to see that free agency money spent on quality but not overpriced stars and the picks in those first 4 rounds stick and produce.

Back
Top Bottom