Kudos To The Front Office For These Moves | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kudos To The Front Office For These Moves

Props to the FO for drafting guys like Vincent Taylor and Davon Godchaux in the late rounds, they have been a pleasant surprise. We have to draft better in the first (with the exception of Minkah) and second round (jury is still out on McMillan, he’s improving tho and Gesicki has me a little worried to be honest).

If we could hit on our FIRST RD picks we would be a 12 win team every year! We are good in the later rounds

what's funny is that ppl are comparing the Dolphins against the elite (run) teams and wondering why we can't be more like them.

well the Dolphins are trying to do that, and all most ppl in here wanna do is tear it down. Too many Dolphin fans (especially here) are so short sighted.
you know what those elite run teams have that the Dolphins haven't had in years??

consistency!!

so many here want to fire the GM, fire Gase, fire the whole staff after a bad game or two. or what ppl perceive as a bad move.

You know why teams like GB, NO, Bal, etc are good?? because they don't fire their whole staff after one bad season. they don't get rid of their QB after having a bad game or two.

Now, I'm only talking about the Gase era here, because if ppl can't see the difference between this regime and previous ones then I can't help them.

I like where this team is going, and I like what Gase has going on.

I wouldn't say I have any inside knowledge of how NFL teams scout or put together draft boards - they all have different ways of doing it. Just like I have my own way of trying to determine if a guy is a good football player or not. If he's not, why not.....and if he is, how good can he become?

I think in order to be a successful front office in the NFL when it comes to evaluating, drafting, and developing talent, you have to get the easy ones right. The draft is hard. Therefore you have to get the easy ones right when they come along. Miami hasn't always done that. They tend to get the easy ones wrong. Furthermore, you must have a model that works in terms of how to build and maintain a solid roster. Understanding what positions to value over other positions, and how much. Again, Miami hasn't always done that correctly.

Lastly, I think you need to have an incredible understanding between front office and coaching staff when it comes to the type of football players you want. There can be no ambiguity here. Scouts live out of suitcases nearly year round. They're on the road to campuses, attending practices, games, etc. The scout may like a particular player, but he may not be a fit in terms of system for the coach. The scout has to wave goodbye to him. Knowing that in the big picture, the team he's working for is making a mistake. But it's not his call. That's why you don't draft for "system fit". You draft the best talent. That system or that coach may not even be here in 2 years. Miami hasn't always done this.

This is why I believe there needs to be more transparency in NFL front offices when it comes to who signed off on what and who wanted who. That way the fanbase knows who to hold accountable. It does no good if only the owner knows. If I were a General Manager or front office executive making decisions, I'd make damn sure everyone in the organization and outside of it knew very specifically which personnel decisions I was in line with and which one's I wasn't.

Let the chips fall where they may.
I agree and I think that is exactly what has happened in Miami since Gase was hired.

That’s fair, everyone has their opinion and Drake has the talent. I just don’t think he’ll ever get the usage needed to put up All-Pro numbers. That’s reserved for the workhorse backs like Melvin Gordon and Todd Gurley.

Why because he fumbled in the end zone? I know how Dolfans process informations...

Who ever is running things in 2018 needs to stay in place. Things seem very different this year, from free agency to the draft and even moves like the acquisition of Luke Falk. Many here were calling for him in the 4th and 5th round of the draft and they not only stole him from the Titans but smartly stashed him on IR using an old injury as an excuse. We need more of this

I wrote about this at length in the VIP forum, but whatever changed in 2016 as far as decision makers have been working out.

You want to be able to get and develop guys who can potentially be top 10 players at their position in round 1. I think that Tunsil is there and Minkah has shown that he could head that direction. 66% hit rate in round 1 is good. Harris was a poor pick. You also have Howard taken in round 2 that looks like he can be a top 10 player at his position. Another great pick almost makes up for the failure in round 1 of 2017.

After round 1 you are looking for guys who fit what your franchise and team are doing. Some of the picks may seem like a reach, but you are looking at guys who fit your style (round 1 you are getting the best players). The defense currently has 6 starters that have been drafted in the last three drafts. That is an impressive feat considering several are round 3 or later.

Right now, the group making decisions in the draft are trending up. Mistakes will be had as all teams make mistakes, but we are easily getting more good than bad.

One of the things that has changed is the analytics of drafting. For instance, I've read that Miami has now placed value on potential draftees, who come from a 2 parent home over a draftee from a single parent home. According to the article I read, it said the success rate was better for players who come from 2 patent homes. I was very surprised by how deep this analytic stuff goes. But Apparently it seems to be workkng.

Who ever is running things in 2018 needs to stay in place. Things seem very different this year, from free agency to the draft and even moves like the acquisition of Luke Falk. Many here were calling for him in the 4th and 5th round of the draft and they not only stole him from the Titans but smartly stashed him on IR using an old injury as an excuse. We need more of this

I'd have to disagree with this. Falk was never going to be a starting caliber NFL quarterback in my opinion. You can lump him in the pile with Brandon Doughty. These are things they're still doing wrong, not right.

I'd have to disagree with this. Falk was never going to be a starting caliber NFL quarterback in my opinion. You can lump him in the pile with Brandon Doughty. These are things they're still doing wrong, not right.
You may be right about Falk in the end but that's not my point. They went out and took a prospect that at least one other franchise valued with a draft pick. Then they blocked anyone else from grabbing him while opening up a roster spot on the 2018 team. Is he worth anything? Time will tell but they got him for nothing and they have an entire year to find out

A lot has been written about Miami's early round draft failures. This is the opposite kind of post. Here are some moves that should be applauded, the hits that have kept the Dolphins competitive.

Moving up in the draft to get X Howard. At the time, this was fiercely debated on this site as Howard was pretty raw coming out. But, he's as close to a shutdown corner as there is in today's NFL and perhaps the best player on Miami's defense.

Signing Albert Wilson. It's scary to think where Miami might be, record-wise, without him. His 75-yard touchdown against Chicago was the biggest play in that game and his touchdown pass to Jakeem Grant on a trick play helped the Dolphins beat the Raiders. He's a big play maker and someone that apparently was on Adam Gase's radar. Credit Gase there.

Drafting Davon Godchaux and Vincent Taylor back-to-back in rounds five and six. That has to qualify as an eye for talent.

Drafting Grant in round six. Finally Miami is using him. Grant, like Wilson is a big play waiting to happen.

Signing Frank Gore. Gore looks like he could play forever and he brings leadership and professionalism to the team.

Finding Jesse Davis on the scrap heap.

The trade that brought Kiko Alonso and led to drafting Laremy Tunsil. Alonso had a bad season in 2017, but he is playing at an all-pro level this year and Tunsil is finally emerging as at least a solid left tackle.

I'm not including this years' draft picks yet, but Minkah Fitzpatrick and Jerome Baker have played very well. It seems like only a matter of time for Mike Gesicki. He is just too talented not to succeed.
you forgot the trading of Jarvis Landry.

Back
Top Bottom