Kyler Murray Declares For Nfl | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kyler Murray Declares For Nfl

I would ordinarily tend to agree - RBs can be had in later Rds from a value perspective.
Couple points- I do think this kid is special- maybe not Gurley Saquon or Elliot level- but a slight notch below. Not for Miami, but on a contending team- he can put you over the top.
I like him better than Chubb Michel Kerryon and Jones who were top 40 picks.
Also this 2019 draft- I see a drop in talent after 15-20 which increases this kids value.

You could be right. I just don't see him as THAT kind of talent. I'd take Chubb 10/10 over him. I wasn't a big fan of any of Michel, Johnson, or Jones - had them all as Day 3 picks and had Phillip Lindsay rated ahead of all but Michel. Kerryon Johnson has looked good in Detroit, and, in hindsight, I was too low on him, but I'd always rather be too low on a RB than too high on a RB - because of the way the penalties work. If you miss out on a RB, it's no big deal. If you know what you're doing at all, it's easy to find another for relatively cheap. If you draft a RB too high, that's a resource you could have used on a position of greater value and scarcity. Michel was a very bad pick for NE imo. He was fine this year, and he's a good player, but there were stud DB's, Pass Rushers, and OL still on the board.

Last edited:
The one RB that I would consider as a late RD1 to contending team that is strong in trenches is Josh Jacobs. He is a terrific combo of speed power and elusiveness. Maybe Ravens.

I like the player also. But I think it’s the combination of everything he does he does well then anything he does he does at the elite level.

I don’t want to say jack of many trades master of none cause that implies he doesn’t do anything overly well. Cause he does a lot of things at a plus level. Just nothing at the special clip

Last edited:
I like the player also. But I think it’s the combination of everything he does he does well then anything he does he does at the elite level.

I don’t want to say jack of many trades master of none cause that implies he doesn’t do anything overly well. Cause he does a lot of things at a plus level. Just nothing at the special clip
Here’s the thing - his power level is almost elite- he’s damn powerful. So you brace to get crushed or at very least go Mano y Mano right- then the dude uses his well above average feet to dance around you.
Don’t sleep on this guy fellas. He’s RB1 this draft all day long.

Here’s the thing - his power level is almost elite- he’s damn powerful. So you brace to get crushed or at very least go Mano y Mano right- then the dude uses his well above average feet to dance around you.
Don’t sleep on this guy fellas. He’s RB1 this draft all day long.

What I see on this tape is a lot of one speed. Lacks explosive burst. It’s probably the biggest flaw in his game.

Last edited:
no no no, please no runningbacks. Drake, Ballage, Bolden, Gore is plenty. We need DE's and OG's like crazy. Literally, every pick in this draft should be a DE or OG lol (unless we opt not to pay up for Howard, then CB is actually a priority).

I went to this thread to find out about Murray. Why are we talking about RBs

no no no, please no runningbacks. Drake, Ballage, Bolden, Gore is plenty. We need DE's and OG's like crazy. Literally, every pick in this draft should be a DE or OG lol (unless we opt not to pay up for Howard, then CB is actually a priority).
The conversation turned to RB- not for Miami - more in general.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...-and-weaknesses-impact-on-the-2019-nfl-draft/

Breaking down Kyler Murray's strengths and weaknesses, impact on the 2019 NFL Draft
Examining where Murray thrives, where he needs to improve, and how he'd affect the 2019 quarterback class

Strengths
Throwing Versatility
As a top 10 overall pick in pro baseball, Murray has the physical attributes you'd expect from a middle infielder. He has a lightning-quick delivery, throws very accurately to the short and intermediate levels of the field and can make those pinpoint throws from a variety of arm angles and with his feet in less-than-ideal positions. He can turn a double play on the diamond and hit a receiver in stride on a slant from a three-quarter release point without his feet being perfectly set underneath him. Murray's throwing versatility allows him to stay productive as a passer outside of the planned structure of the play.

Pocket Patience
If you've followed my evaluations for even a few weeks, you know how highly I value a quarterback's pocket presence. After accuracy, I think it's the most vital aspect of a signal-caller's skill set. In the NFL, quarterback's are pressured around 33% of the time on average. On those plays, the bad quarterbacks are separated from the good ones, and the great ones stand alone. Breaking down pocket presence into two subcategories: pocket patience and pocket movement ... Murray is more impressive in the former than the latter. With pocket patience, which most quarterback prospects don't have much of, a passer is willing to wait inside a clean pocket and survey the field after his first read isn't there. Murray demonstrated the ability to patiently wait behind the line, inside the pocket and scan to find secondary and tertiary targets this season. Oftentimes, his patience paid off, and he delivered strikes while reading the entire field ... another plus on his resume.

Athleticism
At around 5-foot-10 and 195 pounds, Murray is insanely athletic for the quarterback spot. He's quicker than fast but displayed impressive long speed on a few big-gainers down the field. He probably shouldn't be utilized on as many designed runs in the NFL as he was at Oklahoma, but if need be, he can extend plays by making pro defenders miss. I liken his scrambling skills, ability to avoid free rushers, and juke defensive linemen, linebackers, and some defensive backs to Tyrod Taylor's.

Arm Strength
Similar to Baker Mayfield, Murray generates more velocity than expected at his size. This part of his game is fourth on this list because, compared to today's NFL standards, Murray's arm is good, not great. He can drive the football across the field on long, out-breaking routes and stretch defenses between 50-60 yards downfield, which is around the normal in-game maximum for pro QBs.

Weaknesses
Size
The easy-to-spot ding on Murray as an NFL prospect. Russell Wilson was a hair under 5-11 at the 2012 combine, but he weighed well over 200 pounds. Murray could actually measure in under 5-10 and will probably be under 200 pounds, both extreme lows for the quarterback spot in the NFL. In theory, his small stature would diminish some of what he could do as a runner, which was a sizable portion of his Heisman-winning campaign in 2018.

Pocket Movement
For as patient as Murray can be despite his elite athleticism, he's not exactly a deft pocket drifter at this point. Yes, he flashed the ability to subtly maneuver away from oncoming defenders ... it just wasn't a consistent part of his game for the Sooners. At times, he'd leave the pocket to run at the first sign of pressure, a clear-cut negative. I rarely saw him drift directly into a sack, but Murray has to get better operating inside the pocket in tight quarters.

Experience
Murray is not very experienced. Plain and simple. He made 17 career starts in college. Historically, he'd be one of the least-experienced first-round quarterbacks. However, quarterbacks like Cam Newton and Mitchell Trubisky have recently set a precedent that signal-callers don't necessarily need to be three or even two-year starters to go early in the draft.

Looks like this is every throw Kyle made against Alabama this season:

Amazing play at 9:48. Kyle scrambles and heaves the ball over 50 yards into the endzone for a TD.

As you can see at 10:00 he didn't even plant his feet and still completed a pass down the field accurately and in stride. You can see it up close at 10:09. He really shows his arm strength there.

After seeing the whole video once, I can say he's definitely as electric as I've heard he is. Very accurate passer with a strong arm. He throws three quarter accurately whether his feet are planted or not. I saw a lot of passes thrown in stride while he was standing in the pocket as well as on the run.

On the negative side, I didn't see many points on the board in the 1st half. I don't watch college football much, so I'm not sure if that's more of a reflection on Kyle or the personnel. They were facing Alabama, after all. He had some passes batted down. Happens. As long as it's not a big issue, I'd deal with it.

*takes off amateur scouting hat*

Last edited:
I have little bit of an issue with Murray going back to the As. Again it’s a business decision but he has most likely received a RD1 grade. Equates 4 mill- 15-17 mill.
He is telling the NFL- hey NFL all things being equal, things being $$, I prefer baseball.
It’s only reason to go back to As to renegotiate.
So... lets fast forward 2019 NFL Game 10., hes getting his ass kicked.
Who is the say he doesn’t call As and say hey “How about you cover X $$, I’m playing baseball.”
The option will always be available.
Nahh pass.

I have little bit of an issue with Murray going back to the As. Again it’s a business decision but he has most likely received a RD1 grade. Equates 4 mill- 15-17 mill.
He is telling the NFL- hey NFL all things being equal, things being $$, I prefer baseball.
It’s only reason to go back to As to renegotiate.
So... lets fast forward 2019 NFL Game 10., hes getting his *** kicked.
Who is the say he doesn’t call As and say hey “How about you cover X $$, I’m playing baseball.”
The option will always be available.
Nahh pass.

So you prefer to play it safe, draft a safe guy like Daniel Jones or someone, or stick with Ryan Tannehill, or bring in a vet like Teddy B. What's that going to get you ? 6- 8 wins, stuck in purgatory ! This guy has the potential to be great, the potential to change the way a whole fan base feels about their team. That does not come around very often. If he's a success he's not going to go back to baseball, hell he's not going back to baseball until he's given it a fair shot. Football is his first love, that's clear and evident, he didn't need to go back to play QB for the sooners last year, he had already signed his baseball contract and had the money. But he insisted on doing it, why ?

He's not going to give it half a season an jump ship ffs, he'll have things in his contract to protect the team against that. If it's still not working after year 2 then maybe, but at that point, if it's not working then it's likely you've got a horrible record so you are in a strong position to draft the next guy. Sitting on or hands not taking chances is why we are in the mess we are right now.

So have we had any official word yet, today's the deadline ?

So you prefer to play it safe, draft a safe guy like Daniel Jones or someone, or stick with Ryan Tannehill, or bring in a vet like Teddy B. What's that going to get you ? 6- 8 wins, stuck in purgatory ! This guy has the potential to be great, the potential to change the way a whole fan base feels about their team. That does not come around very often. If he's a success he's not going to go back to baseball, hell he's not going back to baseball until he's given it a fair shot. Football is his first love, that's clear and evident, he didn't need to go back to play QB for the sooners last year, he had already signed his baseball contract and had the money. But he insisted on doing it, why ?

He's not going to give it half a season an jump ship ffs, he'll have things in his contract to protect the team against that. If it's still not working after year 2 then maybe, but at that point, if it's not working then it's likely you've got a horrible record so you are in a strong position to draft the next guy. Sitting on or hands not taking chances is why we are in the mess we are right now.

Not at all.
RT17 is gone.
Haskins will be too expensive to move for.
I’m building lines and QB 2020.
I’m not sure what his 1st love is. It does seem there is chance that money will be greatest motivation.

As much as I like him until he rescinds the 15 mil demand and announces he will not pursuit baseball I wouldn’t draft him before day 3. They can build the lines and draft a QB in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom