Kyler Murray: The Answer To Miami's Greatest Deficiencies | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kyler Murray: The Answer To Miami's Greatest Deficiencies

If he's going to the NFL then the Dolphins needs to send everything they have to move up to get him.

Whoooaa Tiger!!! Slow down. You can't send everything when you have nothing to send...or..cant afford to.

Let’s see how he measures out at the combine. If he’s 5’10 and a half and 200 lbs with good hand size, fine.

I know some folks are over the moon on this guy, but if he comes out at 5’8 185 with small hands, you have to wonder if he can take a hit and win in cold weather. QB’s are much more vulnerable than receivers at that size who can get down. He’s going to have to show he won’t get his bell rung every time a Luke Kuechly gets a clean shot at him.

Don’t be offended. It’s a legit concern. NFL linebackers will try to crush him. Let’s see what the combine readings are and then take it from there.

Let’s see how he measures out at the combine. If he’s 5’10 and a half and 200 lbs with good hand size, fine.

I know some folks are over the moon on this guy, but if he comes out at 5’8 185 with small hands, you have to wonder if he can take a hit and win in cold weather. QB’s are much more vulnerable than receivers at that size who can get down. He’s going to have to show he won’t get his bell rung every time a Luke Kuechly gets a clean shot at him.

Don’t be offended. It’s a legit concern. NFL linebackers will try to crush him. Let’s see what the combine readings are and then take it from there.

we are not getting a 5 foot 9 inch qb, its just not going to happen.
no more experiments.

Size has nothing to do with whether or not he'll suffer a concussion. Instincts and elusiveness, however, do.

ive been watching tv and if hes 5' 10, J Grant is 6'3. the guy is super small.

So just to clarify, you're suggesting Kyler Murray is just shy of 5'1"?

This conversation is a little out of control. There are actual humans who have used actual measuring devices to measure him. The general consensus is that he's between 5'9-3/4" and 5'9-7/8" - and one of these measurements is from a source that has no interest in him succeeding in the NFL.

But your counter-argument is "Nuh-uh...I've been watching him on TV?"

29. New England Patriots
Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma. Bill Belichick has made a career out of staying well ahead of the curve and inventing new ways to manufacture offensive production. Is it time for him to draft Tom Brady's heir apparent? Murray has a lot more pocket passing skills than you'd expect for a small, athletic quarterback.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...r-murray-jaguars-trade-up-for-dwayne-haskins/

Genuine question here for the guys that have done some digging on kyler - has he ever played a cold weather game? Knowing he's from Texas and only has this one year of experience

I know Oklahoma and surrounding states can get chilly around November and December but honestly I haven't looked at what the conditions were in the final quarter of his games. I'm assuming nothing too drastic

Just curious and relevant to his hand size

id be ok with drafting murray, i really dont care that much, our first rounders never really do **** anyway so screw it, take a gamble...whats the worst that happens, he gets pat white'ed and we have a high pick in 2020?

Size has nothing to do with whether or not he'll suffer a concussion. Instincts and elusiveness, however, do.
Agree - mostly anyhow. Guys like Flutie, Wilson learned early on that if you stand like a statue, you will get badly, irreparably hurt. Murray looks like he has learned that lesson well too. He has great pocket awareness and escapability, as well as speed that the other two didn't have. Having said that, the playbook has to change as well as the expectations in execution. Flutie, for instance, made a lot of his big plays off the "5 step, one read, run around like a maniac" play. Russ Wilson too. It takes a certain breed of coach to be fine with that.

So just to clarify, you're suggesting Kyler Murray is just shy of 5'1"?

This conversation is a little out of control. There are actual humans who have used actual measuring devices to measure him. The general consensus is that he's between 5'9-3/4" and 5'9-7/8" - and one of these measurements is from a source that has no interest in him succeeding in the NFL.

But your counter-argument is "Nuh-uh...I've been watching him on TV?"
Asinine, isn’t it?

Perhaps, but its easier to pummel a tiny guy than a bigger guy. I'm not wishing a brain injury on him.

But beyond concussions, he's vulnerable throwing the football to impact. All kinds of things can get crushed. You don't need a big strong guy like Marino because football is different. But you need requisite sturdiness to take hits. He's not going to always get away. This isn't the Big 12 operating with a dominant line for that level. He has to be able to absorb bone-crushing hits.

He's an electrifying player and I like him generally, but I want to see his measurements. Russell Wilson is what, 205-215 lbs? He's pretty sturdy. If Murray is close to that, that would make me happier about him. If he's got a 180 handle on his weight, that's a concern.

Then there is hand size. At playoff time, you go up into KC, Pittsburgh, Boston, Cleveland etc, and having big enough hands is a must. I know you believe in that too from your prior posts.

Getting a QB is like buying a house. You don't want to get one with an obvious defect.

I'm not burying the kid. He's fun. I am just reserving judgment until I see what he measures out at. If he's 5'11 205 plus or minus, I am happy.

Doug Flutie played until he was 43 years old and didn't have concussion issues. He played two decades in an era of NFL and CFL football when they did NOT protect quarterbacks like they do today.

And I thought a guy from another board had a SOBERING point.

There are ALL KINDS of players in the NFL, including guys whose job it is to hit and be hit, who are 5'10" and 195 lbs or even smaller. How come there isn't a bunch of hand-wringing about those guys getting knocked out of the league within five years?

Perhaps, but its easier to pummel a tiny guy than a bigger guy. I'm not wishing a brain injury on him.

But beyond concussions, he's vulnerable throwing the football to impact. All kinds of things can get crushed. You don't need a big strong guy like Marino because football is different. But you need requisite sturdiness to take hits. He's not going to always get away. This isn't the Big 12 operating with a dominant line for that level. He has to be able to absorb bone-crushing hits.

He's an electrifying player and I like him generally, but I want to see his measurements. Russell Wilson is what, 205-215 lbs? He's pretty sturdy. If Murray is close to that, that would make me happier about him. If he's got a 180 handle on his weight, that's a concern.

Then there is hand size. At playoff time, you go up into KC, Pittsburgh, Boston, Cleveland etc, and having big enough hands is a must. I know you believe in that too from your prior posts.

Getting a QB is like buying a house. You don't want to get one with an obvious defect.

I'm not burying the kid. He's fun. I am just reserving judgment until I see what he measures out at. If he's 5'11 205 plus or minus, I am happy.

It looks like he'll be about 10 lbs lighter and half an inch shorter than Wilson. I'd guess his hands are 9"+, but that remains to be seen. Feels like we have a pretty good handle on the other numbers.

Is Wilson still only 205 though? I’d guess with that lower half he’s probably closer to 215

Back
Top Bottom