Lamar Gordon | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lamar Gordon

crash

Fireman Joe is a tool
Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on Lamar Gordon. People talk about Feeley getting more time to prove himself, but Lamar pretty much had no oppurtunity to show what he can do.

Here is a scouting report I found when he was coming out:
Height Weight 40 Grade
6'0½ 214 4.58 3.76
Three-year starter that impacted the program as a true freshman. Suffered a high ankle sprain as a senior and played in only eight games, finishing the year with 129/780/6.0/10 on the ground and 5/66/13.2/1 as a pass catcher. Junior totals on the were 256/1,727/6.7/22 rushing with 14/163/11.7/1 receiving. Broke the century mark for the first time as a sophomore totaling 259/1,495/5.8/22 and also catching 15/114/7.6/0.

Productive back with excellent run instincts. Patient, displays vision, finds the running lanes and quickly getting through them. Fast enough to beat opponents around the corner, displays a burst in the open field and runs to daylight. Catches the ball well out of the backfield and works to pick up positive yardage running after the reception. Not overly elusive but does display the ability to set up defenders and make them miss in the short field. Not a big or strong back, not one who picks up much yardage off initial contact nor can he string several moves together during a single carry. Plays faster than his listed 40-time but ran poorly at the combine and did not catch the ball well. Had a solid week of practices at the Senior Bowl and looked as though he may have been moving towards the early part of the second frame but was not able to keep the momentum going in Indianapolis. Right now does not look like he can handle the duties of being a feature back at the next level but rather should be effective and productive in a system where he is rotated in and out of the lineup or used as a situational runner. Should be productive carrying and catching the ball on the limited basis at the next level. Late Second Round.

Sorry if this is redundant.

If there was any chance he could stay healthy for a whole season I think he would be a pretty darn good back. Only problem is he seems to get hurt every year. Kind of a liability.

I see Saban using Gordon like Bellychuck uses Faulk...

Everybody will have a roll on this team.

It would have been so much better if we saw more of him as our line got a bit better down the stretch.

I like Lamar Gordon also he has been a stud since highschool when he plays. Problem is he gets hurt entirely to much and we never get a good look at him. To me he could be as productive as a Rudi Johnson if he could stay healthy. I hope he gets some carries this year because he should be ready to go have sit since week 7.. GreenMonster

Right now does not look like he can handle the duties of being a feature back at the next level but rather should be effective and productive in a system where he is rotated in and out of the lineup or used as a situational runner.

Did Rick Speilman bother to read that or check out his injury history?.Gordon has had lower leg strength problems throughout his career.

Gordon self-describes himself as a Slasher type of RB.I hope he becomes a useful player for us but I would not depend on him to be our feature RB.

Ya know, Lamar was gearing to be a good back for the Rams. I was reading an artical about how if Chicago drafted Mike Williams, the threat of the perimeter would make the running game so much easier. Seems that would be the case in Miami too and with a great new offensive line coach and some upgrades to the line, why would he not be a great back for us. He have decent speed, fairly tough and good hands out the backfield. To thow in the fact that, he who we do not speak his name, may be back to at least be used to get tough yards when needed. Still trading down to #7 is what I'd prefer and if M. Williams is not there, still take a top back.

I still want to see more of sammy morris.... he reminds me of a M. pittman w/ a lot of power just needs a line in front of him and hell do great

Phinz4Life said:
It would have been so much better if we saw more of him as our line got a bit better down the stretch.

Agreed. He had a ton of potential coming out of college and I remember St. Louis being very high on him. He is only 25 years old also....

Puffboy(ricky) said:
Ya know, Lamar was gearing to be a good back for the Rams. I was reading an artical about how if Chicago drafted Mike Williams, the threat of the perimeter would make the running game so much easier. Seems that would be the case in Miami too and with a great new offensive line coach and some upgrades to the line, why would he not be a great back for us. He have decent speed, fairly tough and good hands out the backfield. To thow in the fact that, he who we do not speak his name, may be back to at least be used to get tough yards when needed. Still trading down to #7 is what I'd prefer and if M. Williams is not there, still take a top back.

How many times did he get hurt last year, different injuries. Sammy is a great multy purpose full back. he was also signed for special teams. Everyone says it's not hard to find a good runningback, well ask Dan Marino about that. YOU NEED A STUD Runningback. There is Vision, Quickness, Hands, Speed, Blocking, Durability, Strength, Reliability, that all goes into being a great back. Not every RB has that.

i had read multiple places that he ran 4.4 ish range at combines

13. Lamar Gordon - North Dakota State - ST. LOUIS
Playing at North Dakota State created a good/bad situation for Gordon as an NFL prospect. Good because he started all four years and was a prolific runner, dominating the competition. The bad part is he didn't get any exposure playing against Division I schools except for his decent showing at the Senior Bowl and the NFL combines. Gordon has good speed (back to back 4.4s) and size (6' 1" 215 lbs), but some feel he runs to upright and needs to learn to run lower in order to break tackles at the next level. As a division II prospect, he'll require work on the usual - blocking and receiving. The Texans are rumored to have their eyes on him as a possible 2nd or 3rd round selection.

http://www.redeyesports.com/2002OffRookies.htm#Running Backs

too bad we don't have a line. How about getting somebody that can at least hold a block for half a second. I believe Lamar got hurt by a clean shot last year to the shoulder. Seemed like the guy just had a running start and not one of our O-lineman got as much as paw on him.

I believe Lamar would be a good 3rd down back, basically an improvement over Travis Minor on 3rd down. Like someone else said, similar to K Faulk type of back.

Phinsdude said:
How many times did he get hurt last year, different injuries. Sammy is a great multy purpose full back. he was also signed for special teams. Everyone says it's not hard to find a good runningback, well ask Dan Marino about that. YOU NEED A STUD Runningback. There is Vision, Quickness, Hands, Speed, Blocking, Durability, Strength, Reliability, that all goes into being a great back. Not every RB has that.

If that were true, the Pats wouldn't have been able to win the '03 Super Bowl with Antowain Smith.

Back
Top Bottom