Lamar Miller > Trent Richardson | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lamar Miller > Trent Richardson

Trent has been a disaster since his rookie season. Never in a million years would I have ever thought Lamar Miller would've been a better back than Trent at the next level.

But Trent has just been that bad. Miller has only finally developed into an average back that is best in a running back by committee approach. He's not a feature 25 carry a game RB.

For a 4th round pick Miller has certainly earned his draft position this year and turned out to be one of Ireland's better trade ups for a RB. But if you do it every year you're bound to mess up and get one right eventually.

It just shouldn't take a RB with Miller's speed this long to finally break a long run. 444 carries and finally had a run for more than 49 yards.

Miami needs a true stud RB to allow Miller to perform at his premium 10-15 carries a game.

Given where Miami will be drafting, Tevin Coleman makes a lot of sense in the 2nd RD. As much as I like Duke Johnson and DJ Foster, you're right. Miami needs a stud, bell-cow RB. Picking at 14, I'm not willing to spend a 1st on Gordon. I love Gordon, but too many things can go wrong for a RB. You compared Coleman to Martin in the RB's thread, and I really like that comparison. I think that's the kind of player Miami needs. Use the 1st RD pick on a defensive stud and nail down your RB of the future in the 2nd.

i guess when you never hit you should bump anything you do that doesnt blow...:lol:

difference for miller this year is primarily the weight gain which helped him take contact better...in the process he scrubbed some long speed off which was evident on that 97 yard td run but he has been one of the most improved players on the roster this year...his game is ideal for this scheme that's for sure...not an alpha though...the scheme helps him a lot

miami stilll has work to do at rb

i guess when you never hit you should bump anything you do that doesnt blow...:lol:

difference for miller this year is primarily the weight gain which helped him take contact better...in the process he scrubbed some long speed off which was evident on that 97 yard td run but he has been one of the most improved players on the roster this year...his game is ideal for this scheme that's for sure...not an alpha though...the scheme helps him a lot

miami stilll has work to do at rb

The hate you have for me runs deep…wow.

Maybe I should find the Ziggy Ansah vs. Mingo threads…or the Fins will pay for cutting Bryan Tyms. Or that the Jets would own the Fins Week 17 last year because of coaching and match ups. Give me a break.

Truth is that those that truly follow college football and the NFL sometime hit on things and other times miss. It is those that never think they are wrong that need to be tuned out and prove to be crackpots.

I do not deny Miami needs another back to go with Miller. However, the premise of the thread Miller > Richardson was dead on.

hmmm tyms is an nfl wr so that fails mingo vs ansah the latters pass rush isnt really doing much but he's a power player and better than i expected for sure although his pass rush hasnt validated a top 5 pick...mingo for miami i was taking as a situational rusher in a 43 out of a 3 point stance where i still think he has a future the transition to olb in a 34 has been a tough one...not everyone can switch from coming forward their entire life to not...

no idea what the whole jets thing last year is about if you had some lbs with a freaking clue we could have shut down the jets tendencies in that one but we didnt then and we don't now

i don't hate you i just know you throw **** at the wall and see if anything sticks and then pimp it on repeat and i just dont respect that...never will...

trent richardsons biggest problem is lack of vision...didnt show much of it at bama even and it has carried over the pros...no vision...miller didnt show much vision last year nor did he run thru contact at all...so why didnt you pimp this thing last year??? i know why

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like Richardson's main problem is that he's thicker than he was in college (looks a lot thicker to me), and as a result, he's lost his burst. Vision is an issue too, but compared to how he ran at 'Bama, he looks like he's running in mud, and I don't think it's the jump in competition.

then the question, for a non expert like me, is: who decides, and why, to bulk up so much? is the player himself or the staff (like for Dion Jordan) ?
I ask because the guy has been in 2 different teams and I wonder if someone else noted his lack of burst and if they tried something to improve.
On some colts board I read they complain he doesn't break any tackles... then his bulk is useless, wouldn't be logic try to slim a little to gain some speed? Just my curiosity about how these things work in the NFL

then the question, for a non expert like me, is: who decides, and why, to bulk up so much? is the player himself or the staff (like for Dion Jordan) ?
I ask because the guy has been in 2 different teams and I wonder if someone else noted his lack of burst and if they tried something to improve.
On some colts board I read they complain he doesn't break any tackles... then his bulk is useless, wouldn't be logic try to slim a little to gain some speed? Just my curiosity about how these things work in the NFL

Slimm would probably know better, but I remember that Alabama limited the amount of weight Richardson could lift. It's possible that NFL teams just didn't follow suit.

Great call by Hayden (dare I say, genius). Trent Richardson was seen as a likely NFL star and he now looks a major bust, while Lamar Miller just gets better and better. Over 95% of college football fans would have predicted Richardson to have the better NFL career of the two and they would be wrong. Cleveland is looking really smart for recognizing that they drafted a dud and took quick corrective action to unload.

Jason La Canfora retweeted
Zak Keefer @zkeefer · 11m 11 minutes ago
Working with the punt coverage team today during #Colts practice ... Trent Richardson.

not sure why they dont give miller more carries. 12 carries or so a game and gets you 5.0 ypc and 1000 yards.

why not give the kid 20 carries a game, or at the very least let him run some outside stuff inside of inside zone read type stuff.

hard to utilize your speed when 85% of your touches go a or b gap.

nice call hayden.

miller time much better than trent.

not sure why they dont give miller more carries. 12 carries or so a game and gets you 5.0 ypc and 1000 yards.

why not give the kid 20 carries a game, or at the very least let him run some outside stuff inside of inside zone read type stuff.

nice call hayden.

at 20 carriers per game, you're going to see drastic diminishing returns from Miller

I agree they should give him the rock a little more, but 20 carries per game consistently just seem like too much of a load for a guy like Miler.

I LOVE Miller. Have always believed in him. However, he needs another runner to help him. Nothing wrong with that.

I posted in another thread that Miller has actually outperformed Reggie Bush over the last 2 years for a third of the price. Get some more linemen and give the ball to Miller more

nice call hayden.

It was virtually a perfect split between inside and outside runs. 50.13% were run thru the A and B gaps. 49.87% we're run thru the C and D gaps. Here's a chart to prove just how balanced we were.

Type____Attempts_Yards Avg_% of plays
CENTER............97 397 4.09 25.19%
LEFT END..........62 286 4.61 16.10%
RIGHT GUARD....53 341 6.43 13.77%
LEFT TACKLE.....50 219 4.38 12.99%
RIGHT END ........44 302 6.86 11.43%
LEFT GUARD......43 231 5.37 11.17%
RIGHT TACKLE...36 132 3.67 9.35%

They number of runs per game, for the most part, was purely scheme driven. It was a simple as if there was less than 8 men in the box, we ran.

Back
Top Bottom