Landry traded to Browns for 2018 4th 2019 7th | Page 58 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Landry traded to Browns for 2018 4th 2019 7th

Seems like Groundhog Day with this team though. We find a diamond in the rough or a above-average player and we don't retain him and start anew. Which leads us to overpaying for free agents and puts us in the position we are this year. Good teams see value in players and sign them long-term at the right time and don't wait until the last minute and expect them to take fair market value when the NFL free agency allows players to be overpaid if a team wants him bad enough.

Sorry if I'm a skeptic but I haven't seen anything positive from this organization since my kids were born and that 17 years ago.

‘We could have signed player X sooner’ - how do we know player X would have agreed to sign sooner? And for the dollars on the table we offered- maybe they said- I will wait because I know Im worth more.

Then we have ‘why did we extend player Y so soon? Ie Kiko or Jones. It works both ways.

We need a great contingency plan, I just don't see passing on a top 5 elite talent non-QB at number 11 to select a rookie QB to be that contingency plan while Tannehill is relatively young (for a QB) and by all accounts should be 100% by OTAs.
It's gonna be an interesting draft for us, that's for sure.... I just wish I had more faith in the people making the pick.

‘We could have signed player X sooner’ - how do we know player X would have agreed to sign sooner? And for the dollars on the table we offered- maybe they said- I will wait because I know Im worth more.

Then we have ‘why did we extend player Y so soon? Ie Kiko or Jones. It works both ways.
We don't know but from our past dealings i don't think we did it right, maybe im wrong. We havent exactly been great at keeping talent.

I was ok with jones, kiko is so far from good i qould love to see him gone and i had high hopes...hes done although maybe its scheme but low production is low production.

We don't know but from our past dealings i don't think we did it right, maybe im wrong. We havent exactly been great at keeping talent.

I was ok with jones, kiko is so far from good i qould love to see him gone and i had high hopes...hes done although maybe its scheme but low production is low production.

Keeping talent nope- probably should have kept Rishard M. Looking at things now. Clay, miller and Simms could or were talked about at some point being cut though.

We haven’t replaced OV but did you want to swallow that contract at the time? Maybe they should have.

His play prior was a little inconsistent- people on here were saying that and that he was somewhat of benefiting from the other players on the line.

He is about the only one you could try and argue was a huge mistake though. Landry tbd.

I just don’t get it anymore. Lamar, Vernon, Jay, Landry, etc... Why do we continue to NOT retain our young stud or stud-in-the-making players, and in the case of Jay and Landry, get low draft picks that should NOT excite anyone given our track record (see Asiata, Carroo, the list goes on).

Watch, they’ll be high-fiving on camera when they package 2 of those 4th rounders for a 3rd that turns into a player who won’t play.

Frustrating...
Stud players? Okay players that wanted way too much money for their worth.

uh, no. The fair market is set by all 31 other teams. We can set whatever price we want. If no one bites, then the price didn't clear and it wasn't the correct price. If the Browns offered a 4th and we took it, then by definition, it was the fair market price.

Not sure you understand how markets work. There are deals made at below and above market value every day, mostly because human behavior is irrational. If I sell you a new Bentley Continental for $100, that doesn't mean that Bently's have a market value of $100. That just means one guy is an idiot, and the other guy got a great deal. In our case, Tannenbaum was the idiot.

The Dolphins are either drafting extremely poorly or being incompetent in how they extend players. You cannot have it both ways. If you’re not going to extend so many players, then you’re not drafting the right guys. How many Dolphin draft picks are on extensions now? Pouncey. Jones. Tannehill. You could add Wake even though he was not drafted.

Not understanding the market value of your own players is an unforgivable sin. Vernon asked for $11 million the year prior to free agency. He then got like $17. Miami passed on the $11 M and then, laughably, paid Branch comparable money.

Really? How would that work exactly. Apparently we made a long term offer and Landry rejected it.

It's pretty easy to defer cap hits. See any contract created by Aponte. Minimum salary the first year, with large cash bonuses that get deferred to later years in the contract, while building in an exit strategy to the contract. A lot of the more talented teams in the league employe this cap strategy. Players/agents like it, and teams benefit from it by defering cap.

None of those guys are studs. None are studs in the making. They all were really good players who wanted elite player money.

Teams get rid of good players who want to much money all the time. Nothing new.

It depends on your expectations. Sure, if you think you can get 22 all pros starting for you, then don’t extend anyone who fails to live up to that billing.

Personally, I think you get a roster of solid players and add in a few stars, and you’re off to the races.

It depends on your expectations. Sure, if you think you can get 22 all pros starting for you, then don’t extend anyone who fails to live up to that billing.

Personally, I think you get a roster of solid players and add in a few stars, and you’re off to the races.

I don’t expect 22 All pros.

I also don’t wanna pay good players all pro money.

Not understanding the market value of your own players is an unforgivable sin. Vernon asked for $11 million the year prior to free agency. He then got like $17. Miami passed on the $11 M and then, laughably, paid Branch comparable money.

Thats what really drove me nuts about the OV thing. I can understand passing on OV's contract demands because he asked for too much, but to turn around and grossly overpay another player just shows that Tannenbaum isn't making principled or strategic decisions with the cap.

This x200000000000

It’s amazing how differently you and I see football. You are in here blasting Gase every opportunity you get, and I like Gase’s potential, here, or more likely, in his next stop. Conversely, I think management lacks any coherent plan, and fails at roster building, while you’re an apologist for management. You’d think on accident, we’d agree on occasion. I suppose that won’t happen until we start winning regularly like we did when I was young. You have to wonder if we are going to see that. It sure doesn’t look good over the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom