Landry traded to Browns for 2018 4th 2019 7th | Page 61 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Landry traded to Browns for 2018 4th 2019 7th

No again. Back loading a contract is only worth it if the team is one or two players away from winning now. It's not a strategy for building a team because all those deferred bills come due. Big number back loaded contacts only make sense for elite difference makers, which as much as you might like him, he isn't.
Its not backloading a contract, its income deferral. Its cash payout vs accrued earnings. There's a difference.

Since we know you have a computer because you are posting here, you don't have any excuse for not looking up the definition for market mechanics.

Yes, I should have just googled market mechanics to understand them. What was I thinking studying it in undergrad, then again in grad school, and then working 15+ years applying it in the real world? I should have just googled it instead. How stupid of me :facepalm

You can’t extend players 2 years before their contracts run out. Stop saying that.

Jarvis also was never going to sign for a cheap contract, he was always going to maximize his value.

He’s one of the leagues most inefficient receivers, they didn’t make a mistake moving on from him it’s all going to be ok.

Also, Stills has ranked better out of the slot than Landry has, Jakeem Grant is explosive on the outside, he’s not much of a slot. Miami will manage just fine putting the ball in the hands of guys who can actually make explosive plays anywhere on the field.
You are correct at end of his 3rd year - forgot he wasn't a 1st Rder. Premise remains. Should've resigned him year ago

Its not backloading a contract, its income deferral. Its cash payout vs accrued earnings. There's a difference.

It's all plugged into the salary cap, which are the rules the team has to play by. The players and agents (mostly) aren't idiots. They all know the time value of money and charge for those deferrals.

Yes, I should have just googled market mechanics to understand them. What was I thinking studying it in undergrad, then again in grad school, and then working 15+ years applying it in the real world? I should have just googled it instead. How stupid of me :facepalm

Well then, you are owed a crap ton of cash back on that investment ;)

Let's try this again using YOUR example, shall we.
If I sell you a new Bentley Continental for $100, that doesn't mean that Bently's have a market value of $100. That just means one guy is an idiot, and the other guy got a great deal.

If the guy selling the Bentley only talked to one person, then yes, he was an idiot. If the guy selling the Bentley talked to the entire market (the 31 one other people in the entire world who could buy this special model Bentley) and no one offered more than $100 dollars, then that IS THE MARKET price. :facepalm It doesn't matter if the price would be different next week if he has to sell the car this week. We played a game of craps trying to extract a higher price than the expected comp pick. We might have lost -- it's hard to really know because the comp rules are so complicated and depends on so many variables.

The part of this you simply refuse to accept is the team didn't value Landry the same way you and half the boards here did. You can argue the team is being stupid, but that would be pretty interesting for a guy with such academic impressive credentials to form an opinion without all of the inside info (a.k.a. data) the team has and you don't.

Personally, I don't get it. I don't get the love for a very good, but not great player who was demanding contract terms that only 1 or 2 teams were willing to consider. Every team in the league has 4 years of film and many have played against him. If he's so damned valuable, why didn't anyone other than the browns bite? When young, great players hit the market, there is a feeding frenzy. He's young, healthy, and has impressive stats. Where is the love from anyone other than people here on the boards? Could it be that every team took a hard look and asked: does he change games, does he require defensive scheming, does he require double coverage and answered every question with 'no'. The market spoke: he's good, but not a game changer and that's not worth north of $15M a year, deferred or not.

Exactly. Everyone keeps throwing out the nonsense that we wouldn't want to be paying Vernon $17M. It would NOT have cost the Dolphins $17M annually to keep Vernon. You sign these guys before they hit free agency.

Contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed. Players playing on rookie contracts, especially 2nd and 3rd round picks, are going to take the guaranteed money if it's a fair offer. You don't risk a career-ending injury for $800K when you can sign for millions in guaranteed money.
Only Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay and New England seem to understand not letting key players on their rookie deals hit Free Agency.

The value we got for Landry is laughably bad, we traded a 4th for a guy has missed 19 games the last 3 years. To only get a 4th for a productive 25 year old WR with no injury history just shows incompetance. They knew his asking price was never going to be something they were going to agree to. They should have traded him last year after having a far superior season, especially if the rumors are true that Chicago offered a 2nd.

The cherry on top would be if Parker has a breakout year in 2018 they give him the big contract they refused to give to Landry and Parker goes back to being the WR we've known him to be the past couple of years.

Browns did a pick swap with Packers for the Kiser trade. Is that what makes it pick123?

I can't. It's simple Baker loves football. Johnny doesn't
Johnny is bipolar and has a alcohol problem. Baker appears to love football but appears to resent authority with some immaturity showing. Until I were to get the psych eval he's off my board

It’s not even so much that Landry is gone. I, like a lot of you guys were growing tired of his “me first” antics and I was happy as hell to unfollow him on Instagram. It’s how we lost him and what we got in return that bothers me. It says all you need to know about the Dolphins FO over the past decade or so and that’s what is so deflating. Anyway it’s over now and hopefully there will be some bright spots in FA and the draft but it’s hard to look at 2018 as anything other than another reboot right now.

I mean the value we got back wasn't the best. And Juice was one of my favorite players. But I don't think he's the type of player you break the bank for like that. I wish we could have found a way to keep him on a fair deal, but it didn't happen. That being said again, and it's been said all year so it's not hearsay, that the offense was very heavily for Landry cause he was one not grasping Gase's stuff

4th and a 7th, not even a 7th this year. WoW deal of all time by the Browns, good for them. Our front office looks so F'in bad.

My last .02 on this bs of a gm we have. Who was the last good player we've drafted and extended since this moron has been here? Iv already mentioned that it happen w OV, Mathews and miller and now Landry. What does this say about our future? When guys like X, Drake, Tunsil etc. are up for contracts? I'll tell you it will be happening all over again. They'll either hit FA in there prime or be traded for day 3 pics. Please end this already Ross. The **** jobs your getting from Tbom aren't worth it

Sorry but I reject the premise that under the circumstances, TBum extracted the best deal he could. I suspect Cleveland made their offer, TBum, said, how about a 3rd and 6th, Dorsey said "No" so TBum knuckled under instead of thinking creatively by saying, "okay, how about we package Landry, James and our 1st for your #4?" or something like that. IMO "Trader Mike" got his name because he loves the deal, not because he's good at it.

AFAIC, Buffalo came in next and got our 3rd for a mediocre QB who everyone knew Buffalo was desperate to unload under any circumstances. Not only did TBum's ineptitude cost us value for the most productive and durable slot receiver in the league, but has indirectly enabled a smarter GM up in Buffalo to leapfrog over us in the draft.

Beyond that, declaring that the front office bozos got the best deal they could under the circumstances.. well hells bells, who created those circumstances leaving them no other options? It's like that old joke about the kid who killed his parents and then threw himself on the mercy of the court because he was an orphan. Tannebum should be anything but lauded for allowing circumstances to reach the point of becoming uncontrollable!

Back
Top Bottom