Larry Johnson + 4th rd for | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Larry Johnson + 4th rd for

bigbade said:
ANd you think LJ and a 4th is bad but a 2nd is good????

Please tell me how that makes sense. What if the 2nd rounder busts. Or what if LJ wins the rushing title. Trades are mostly evaluated after the fact.

And seriously when did Surtain become a franchise player?? I mean I love Pat but come on.

At least WE have control over who the 2nd rounder is. That way if it bombs its on US.

And who called Surtain a franchise player? I didn't

bigbade said:
ANd you think LJ and a 4th is bad but a 2nd is good????

Please tell me how that makes sense. What if the 2nd rounder busts. Or what if LJ wins the rushing title. Trades are mostly evaluated after the fact.

And seriously when did Surtain become a franchise player?? I mean I love Pat but come on.

I had always thought your franchise players were...

QBs, LTs, REs, and CBs...

Once you had quality at those positions it was a matter of filling in the blanks and scheming. To say the least Surtain is "quality".

MikeO said:
At least WE have control over who the 2nd rounder is. That way if it bombs its on US.

And who called Surtain a franchise player? I didn't

Ok but this way we get LJ and CONTROL over a 4th rounder.

ANd I know you didn't but I saw it on here somewhere.

bigbade said:
Ok but this way we get LJ and CONTROL over a 4th rounder.

ANd I know you didn't but I saw it on here somewhere.

The difference is a 2nd rounder is much more likely to become a quality player than a 4th rounder.

Eric-Gofins said:
again 4.8 yds average is not soft. his 9 TDS are nice... 0 fumbles

he was a backup to Holmes... and wanted a trade and was in the doghouse...

YPC is not a measure of toughness. He plays behind, arguably, the best O-line in the NFL. A more accurate measure of toughness is yards gained after the first hit. Doubt that there are statistics for that, but most personnel guys can determine that by extensive study of game tapes.

jlfin said:
YPC is not a measure of toughness. He plays behind, arguably, the best O-line in the NFL. A more accurate measure of toughness is yards gained after the first hit. Doubt that there are statistics for that, but most personnel guys can determine that by extensive study of game tapes.

If I am not mistaken there are statistics for that...

Saban's bluff better work.Surtain has what he wants.If the Fins hold him back from getting the contract he wants and the trade doesnt work we might have a malcontent
next year.But its worth a try.We will see what Saban is made of.Who will blink first ?

jlfin said:

does his longest TD run count or runs over 20 yds? what stat can i use?

so if a RB has 3.0 yards per carry and is the feature back... he can still be "tough"?

lets give them Minor and see if he can put up those same numbers.. doubt it very much

Eric-Gofins said:
College stats meaningless.. MikeO must be a McPherson fan lol

They are. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Perfect example is Ronnie Brown and Cadalic Williams. Cadalic was the starter with better numbers. But everyone has Ronnie as the #1 RB in this draft. Stats mean nothing.

MikeO said:
Bottom line.....Ki-Jana Carter, Curtis Enis, Blair Thomas, Larry Johnson. All are 1st round picks who have stunk in the NFL. They are system players from an old out-dated college run offense which makes running backs look better than they are.

Larry Johnson is a 3rd string RB who in his short NFL career has had a few decent games behind a great o-line. Not to mention his big games at the end of last year were meaningless games since KC was out of the playoff hunt and had nothing to play for.

These RBs did not have success in the NFL, but Carter and Enis were due to injuries that shortened their careers....Carter had back to back severe knees blown out, and Enis had first the left knee then the plantar injury that ended his career...I don't remember Blair Thomas issues, but injuries were a part of it. Your arguement for these guys must mean that UM is crap school for recievers...seems all the recievers from UM get hurt ?? (Can you say L. Thomas, Yatil Green, Kellen Winslow, and you can throw in a RB or two, too...Maghee, etc). But really that is a weak arguement...injuries are injuries... LJ has sat on the bench behind Priest, which you can't blame him for...When pressed into duty the second half of this year, he put up decent numbers...He also is suited very well to Linehan's offense...He's not as fast as R. Brown, but he is just as explosive in the open field. He is not a fan favorite in KC because he doesn't fit well in that offense...when Vermeil adjusted the offense to better suit his best attributes, he showed some life...

Look, personally, I'd much rather have a higher draft choice (at least a 2nd and a 5th or 4th next year), but that may not happen...we could do a lot worse and Johnson is a young guy as well. IF this deal comes thru, I wouldn't be too dissapointed...Saban, I'm sure is doing his homework on Johnson and if he decides to take the deal...there must be some merit to Johnson...

Eric-Gofins said:
put in some reasons why... just curious

Here's why. And it's the only reason you'll ever need and it proves that Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson and Derrick Blaylock are the three most overrated running backs in the league. Kansas City has the best offensive line in NFL history probably. Pro Bowlers up and down that line along with years of experience. Every yard those RB's accumulate is because of that line. If you were to put Larry Johnson behind our line; guess what would happen? It wouldn't be pretty. And it damn sure wouldn't be worth Pat Surtain. I could take any of you guys from this forum and put you in the Chiefs backfield and guarantee 1,000+ yards and 10+ touchdowns. No way in hell we do this trade with the Chiefs. Now, if they are willing to part with some of those lineman; I'm all for it.

Joey 22 said:
Im amazed how people can dislike Johnson he is a gret RB who hasnt had the chance to show himself, its like the dolphins drafting a MLB in the 1st rd, that LB wont see the field as long as ZT can play, but no, KC has even more value in LJ than their second and they wont part with him.

It's hard to judge a Chiefs RB because they play with the best OL I've ever seen. Personally, I think LJ is a bit overrated. He has an amazing size/speed ratio and he's starting to run more aggressively, but he still lacks change of direction and, despite what most think, he's not a great tackle breaker. He's an arm-tackle breaker. He's more Shaun Alexander in this area than Edgerrin James.

Larry Johnson does not excite me. Like Nick Saban said, you want a guy the defense hates to tackle.

Back
Top Bottom