Last Place For Chase | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Last Place For Chase

I think you bring up a good point. I've read several times that the best quarterbacks weren't taken with the #1 overall pick. They throw out Watson, Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Brees, Matt Ryan, Mahomes, etc.

The point is, nobody liked them as much either, which is why they lasted as long as they did on draft day. But if teams could know what they know now - they'd be taken #1 overall.

The lesson to be learned, at least in my opinion - is that how much anybody likes a quarterback has nothing to do with anything. But you better get one. Because what's going to happen is, the guy that's being criticized for being too short, arm too weak, too injury prone, bad mechanics, propped up by the system, couldn't even win a starting job, threw too many interceptions, etc.....is going to end up causing everybody who passed on him a lot of heartburn. That's what's going to happen. Just like it has everytime before.

The DE you passed on just isn't going to have that impact when you look back. No matter how good he is.

Agreed. Brady and Wilson immediately come to mind. Brady couldn't win the starting job in college for any length of time and didn't wow at the combine. Wilson was too short. among other things.

However, they are outliers. The problem is when they take a QB and don't get the right one. That's when you wish they'd selected the pass rusher.

I just don't want to see the Dolphins take a QB they aren't completely 100% enamored with simply because they need one. IMO that's what they did with Tannehill. And look how long the 1st round investment set them back. Missing on a non-QB in the 1st round hurts a lot too. But not as much as missing on a QB IMO. Because franchises tend to ride that ship longer.

That's what I'm worried about with a guy like Justin Herbert. If they end up #2 or #3 and really love Tua but here's not there, I don't want them settling for the next best dude with that high pick. Like they did with Tannehill, who IIRC was the 3rd QB off the board.

I'd rather have the top pass rusher than the 2nd or 3rd QB in the 1st round (in this particular draft). I'd rather them take a lower round flier on a QB and hope to get the guy people really missed out on. Perhaps like a Gardner Minshew from last draft, who has flashed some nice potential so far.

But I agree with the premise that they have to get a QB. But they don't have to do it in round 1 of this draft if what they consider to be a home run type player isn't there.

It really depends on our draft position. If we don’t have the first pick and Tua is off the board, I would take Chase first. Then with the Pittsburgh pick take either Herbert or Borrow depending on which one is on the board. If those QBs are both off the board, which I highly doubt, then I’m taking the best WRs on the board and picking Eason with the Texans pick.

After Tua, it's tough. Everyone else has major concerns, but a lot of them have real shots. That in mind, I like Awsi's approach best. Doesn't have to be with your first two picks, but draft two QB's. I think he mentioned Herbert and Love, and those are good guys to swing on imo. Miami drafted Tannehill too early, but the big problem was their unwillingness to evaluate him properly once he was on the team. This is another thing NE does better than anyone. They traded Duke Dawson (who I liked) for a relatively small return after drafting him in the 2nd last year. But, with QB, I think it's even more important to not waste time. That doesn't mean you have to cut or trade the guy, but if he doesn't show out early, you shouldn't say, "Well, he just needs time." Draft another guy who shows you something. Maybe the guy you drafted first comes around and the other guy doesn't, or maybe the second guy proves to be your franchise QB. The position is too valuable to "be patient."

After Tua, it's tough. Everyone else has major concerns, but a lot of them have real shots. That in mind, I like Awsi's approach best. Doesn't have to be with your first two picks, but draft two QB's. I think he mentioned Herbert and Love, and those are good guys to swing on imo. Miami drafted Tannehill too early, but the big problem was their unwillingness to evaluate him properly once he was on the team. This is another thing NE does better than anyone. They traded Duke Dawson (who I liked) for a relatively small return after drafting him in the 2nd last year. But, with QB, I think it's even more important to not waste time. That doesn't mean you have to cut or trade the guy, but if he doesn't show out early, you shouldn't say, "Well, he just needs time." Draft another guy who shows you something. Maybe the guy you drafted first comes around and the other guy doesn't, or maybe the second guy proves to be your franchise QB. The position is too valuable to "be patient."

I like the idea of drafting 2 QBs. If Tua isn’t there for our 1a then best on board at 1b. Then take another in the 2nd or 3rd. I’m sure that Love or Eason will drop.

They aren’t dropping 2nd or 3rd.

they both have too much upside. Love comes out wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he was on upside the 2nd or 3rd qb chosen. there’s some Mahomes potential there.

Eason has upside too. Big arm passes the tools test. I think he’s a heavy pa and vertical shots pro style fit.

2 years from now either of these kids could be studs or it could go the other way.

I definitely think it’s much easier now than it used to be for a kid to come in and have a skill set that translates to the pro game.

but at the end of the day I will stick with come March the buzz is largely all about tua and how much teams have played possum til things get real with regards to draft grades and evaluations. And I will also stick with if anyone finishes in front of us and needs a qb Miami won’t get him.

I wouldn't laugh too much, depending upon how the board plays out and where our draft position settles it wouldn't be an illogical act.

It depends on who they actually like the most at QB vs the cost in draft capital. If they think Fromm or Love or <insert qb name that could be had @7-15> is the next Brady would be quite logical.

This GM cannot find a QB. The whole purpose of tanking is to get to #1 overall so he does not have to think, do the work, and can just take a consensus guy, and not be responsible because everyone says the #1 guy is the best, and also to put his face on TV a few times. The GM is unfit to gm.

This GM cannot find a QB. The whole purpose of tanking is to get to #1 overall so he does not have to think, do the work, and can just take a consensus guy, and not be responsible because everyone says the #1 guy is the best, and also to put his face on TV a few times. The GM is unfit to gm.

Unfortunately, that number 1 pick doesn’t always work out. I’m leaning towards drafting 2 QBs. Eason or Love could drop to the 2nd and Fromm will probably drop to 3rd round.

I think it depends on where the Pittsburgh pick ends up being and how many quarterbacks Miami thinks can lift this franchise. If it's Tua, Burrow and Herbert on the Dolphins list then I think the team needs to go quarterback first despite Young being possibly the best player in the draft. A trade up is possible, but if Miami misses on a quarterback what is this whole rebuild all about?

Back
Top Bottom