Late Round picks.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Late Round picks..

FuturePhin

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The way I see late round picks..5th and latter is that there usually a miss and a rare occasion they help the team. Seeing we have alot of late round pics, I was thinking we gather latter pics and try to trade into the third of forth. Better shot at getting a better player. I would rather have more quality than quanity. Thoughts?

The way I see late round picks..5th and latter is that there usually a miss and a rare occasion they help the team. Seeing we have alot of late round pics, I was thinking we gather latter pics and try to trade into the third of forth. Better shot at getting a better player. I would rather have more quality than quanity. Thoughts?
Once you hit the fourth round though, it is harder to know if you hit on a player. It will be tough to turn those late picks into a 3rd rounder, but you might be able to package a 6th round pick and the 5th round pick to move into the 4th.

Think of it like this though with the quality over quantity thought. Shawn Murphy was a 4th round pick and Donald Thomas was a 6th round pick. I might take my chances with three 6th round picks over one early 5th round pick.

Once you hit the fourth round though, it is harder to know if you hit on a player. It will be tough to turn those late picks into a 3rd rounder, but you might be able to package a 6th round pick and the 5th round pick to move into the 4th.

Think of it like this though with the quality over quantity thought. Shawn Murphy was a 4th round pick and Donald Thomas was a 6th round pick. I might take my chances with three 6th round picks over one early 5th round pick.

Very true. Call me crazy but I would like it if we pulled a Mike Ditka. All the 5th and latter pics piled up for a second and a third. That way we have some good players; days done, dont need to deal with signing all the guys; all but rounds 1-4.

i think the depth in this draft is very good. I think there will be players available in the latter rds. We may not hit on everyone in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rds., but there still will be some quality.

Just take a team like Chicago who doesn't have many picks and offer a 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th for their 3rd. Maybe it's worth it to them to aquire more picks with so many holes on their roster.

If memory serves me correctly, Brandon Marshall was a 4th rd pick. Terrel Davis was a 5th or later round pick, Zack Thomas was a very late round pick, and Tom Brady was a 7th round pick. So good players can be had in later rounds. How many 1st, 2nd, and third round players have been flops in the past as well. Granted it would be nice to have earlier picks, but it is still a crap shoot no matter how you look at it.

If memory serves me correctly, Brandon Marshall was a 4th rd pick. Terrel Davis was a 5th or later round pick, Zack Thomas was a very late round pick, and Tom Brady was a 7th round pick. So good players can be had in later rounds. How many 1st, 2nd, and third round players have been flops in the past as well. Granted it would be nice to have earlier picks, but it is still a crap shoot no matter how you look at it.

For every hit there 200 misses in the late rounds, so either get higher picks or quantity in the late rounds to try and get a hit.

If he available I would like to see the dolphins draft Mike Williams of Syracuse. I have a feeling someone going to pick him up in the top 3 rounds, but if he does fall late we should take him.

For every hit there 200 misses in the late rounds, so either get higher picks or quantity in the late rounds to try and get a hit.

Exactly. Then if we fall in love with a player we could package the higher picks and move up from there. Maybe by the end of it having 2 first rounders and a third. Odds are far better I would beleive.

we just need to play the odds.....really we're looking for 4 players to contribute this year.....best move is to move down and get a 2nd if posible......draft OLB, FS with our top 2 and we have 2 starters.....draft a TE and a NT with the next 2 and we have 2 more guys that will contribute.....the other 7 picks might bring 2 guys that make the team plus 2 more for the PS.......That'd seem like a very good draft to me.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny, we really are looking for 5 players if the rumors of Smiley being a goner are true.

FS, SOLB, NT, TE, G. If we did end up taking Hughes, we would still need the SOLB, but you can find a guy to set the edge after the 2nd round IMO.

To the person advocating giving up a 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th rounder to get a 3rd from the Bears, you would only need to give up a 4th and a 6th to get there (maybe they would need a 7th as well, but our first 6th and our 4th should do it).

Back
Top Bottom