Lawrence Timmons play time last 3 games has gone from 83% to 76% to 57% vs. Denver. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lawrence Timmons play time last 3 games has gone from 83% to 76% to 57% vs. Denver.

Tiko377

Active Roster
Reaction score

When the Miami Dolphins signed accomplished veteran linebacker Lawrence Timmons as an unrestricted free agent last offseason, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Timmons, 31, was obviously old enough to have a decade of NFL experience behind him, but he wasn’t so old as to seem beyond reclamation. The Dolphins liked how Timmons showed up on tape. They liked his toughness. They liked his history with the Pittsburgh Steelers, which included a good outing against Miami in last season’s playoffs.

The Dolphins liked Timmons so much they outbid the Steelers for him. They gave him a two-year contract that would average $6 million per season with $11 million fully guaranteed, but they convinced themselves it was a bargain because the deal didn’t approach Dont’a Hightower money.

Now we’re seeing Timmons playing less at a time the Dolphins defense has been struggling and needs him most. Now we’re seeing Timmons blowing run plays way more often than coaches are willing to excuse. Now we’re seeing Timmons hurt the overall defense because other players see him out of position and run to cover for him, thus getting themselves out of position.

Timmons, obviously quite familiar and comfortable with the Steelers system he played in for a decade, has struggled to learn all his assignments in Miami. Last week against New England, for example, he lined up wrong before the play even began on what turned out to be a 22-yard run by Patriots running back Dion Lewis.

Timmons was responsible for a couple of mental mistakes in that New England loss.

That doesn’t mean the Dolphins hate Timmons. They might release him next offseason but they don’t hate the guy.

What this Timmons episode should do, however, is serve as a cautionary tale the Dolphins should carry into next offseason.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article187546598.html#storylink=cpy

Hasn't got the killer in him like he did in Pitt. He made play there, here not so much.

I long for the day we have a d player make highlight reel, game changing plays in big spots, been too long.

Timmons constantly lining up wrong and out of position. Lol players wait until they come to Miami to forget how to play football. Timmons looked great with Pittsburgh vs Miami in the playoffs last year lol

His heart is in Pitt. Never thought of himself as a fin. He is a veteran, if I was in a well run organization for years, and now find myself in a dumpster fire, I quit too.

His heart is in Pitt. Never thought of himself as a fin. He is a veteran, if I was in a well run organization for years, and now find myself in a dumpster fire, I quit too.
Or you know maybe just stay in Pittsburgh and take a pay cut instead of signing with a team you have no desire to play for. He’s gone after this season. Then he can go back to Pittsburgh

This was a 2 year stay with the contract, however when he went AWOL I believe he gave up the guarantees so if that is the case he will be cut after the season.

He is slowly being phased out as we look at younger guys like Allen and Anthony.

Makes sense since he is not in the 2018 picture anymore.

Good player, his mind and heart ain't here tho.

Miami needs another defensive draft like they just had and use the FA money on a Landry resign and a big, nasty guard.

Yowser! The more Allen and Anthony the better. Now draft Nick Deluca next spring and we are looking great at LB for years.

Mike Tomlin is so impressive, including after the emotional game tonight. If I were a player entrenched in that Steeler environment I know I'd be reluctant to leave unless I was absolutely positive, and basically had no other option.

I don't mind this type of signing. Or the William Hayes stuff. In the long run they blend. We need to draft special players so this type of thing is third tier interest level, not close to forefront.

We'd be in a much better position without the contracts of Timmons, Cutler, Kiko, and Branch on the books.

Those were rookie mistakes made by a "veteran" GM. They tried to build a solid culture here but that culture is being destroyed because we're losing and our highest contracts are going to mediocre players.

That Branch contract has to be one of the worst in the NFL. He was coming off of a 5 sack season and he's making the same amount that double-digit sack guys are getting. ****ing christ.

Cutler's is a one year deal. If we cut Kiko and Branch, that's a $25M accelerated cap hit

Never thought he was as god as advertised...Same as when he was at FSU
He was good at FSU and better in Pitt. He played nearly a decade for one of the toughest defenses without missing a game in one of the more physical divisions.

Remind me again what your basing you evaluation off of?

Back
Top Bottom