Lawrence VS. Burrow | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lawrence VS. Burrow

BigNastyFish

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
First, I know they didn't play head to head as in
tennis or pro bowling, but I do believe there are
a few direct competitive points to ponder.

#1 I came away with the impression Lawrence was
fully aware (if not a tad intimidated) by the level
of QB performance he (and his team) was up against.
Based on that possibility, I tend to think Lawrence was
a tad rattled by the challenge and as a result was off
target a LOT and in general didn't play a game
anchored in confidence.

#2 I think the 3 year age difference made a difference
in terms of the depth of confidence and perhaps composure.
Bottom line, for a kid at Lawrence's age (20) 3 years can
make a rather huge difference in overall development.
But... I'd say it's a legit question at this point as to
how much growth Trevor has in his bank account
as a well rounded, polished QB (as opposed to a
great athlete playing QB).

#3 Burrow is about as finished of a product as you'll
ever see playing college QB. Couple that with the kids
impressive athleticism and obvious intelligence -- you
got a potential elite PRO who could climb way up on
the totem pole fast!

#4 Burrow certainly looked like the #1 pick in an NFL
draft -- Lawrence certainly did not. Obviously Trevor
has another year to build his game and earn the #1
rank -- but it wasn't there last night. Lawrence missed
a number of potential game-changing opportunities
and most weren't even close...

I couldn’t help but hate most everything about Clemsons offense. Imagine Lawrence at Ohio State or LSU. I’m willing to bet he’d be much further along by now.

I couldn’t help but hate most everything about Clemsons offense. Imagine Lawrence at Ohio State or LSU. I’m willing to bet he’d be much further along by now.

Harsh assessment....up until the second quarter of this Championship game Clemson were blowing teams away with their high scoring offense, albeit against far more inferior opposition.

Its not as if Clemson didn't have weapons for Lawrence to use & in my opinion after a steady start to the game Lawrence began to buckle under the pressure later on in the game with LSU's adjustments.

This was quite the opposite to Burrow who looked rattled early on with continuous poor field positions but impressed me with once again in shaking it off and finding a way to win with both his scrambling ability, reads & throws.

As a few people have mentioned in earlier threads, this week's game illustrated Lawrence probably needs a few more of these kind of games to mature as a polished, NFL ready QB. He did well against Bama & Ohio State but with a somewhat to a degree lesser talent around him this time round he needs to experience far more tougher games when he's under duress more often because he's most likely going to be the top pick going to a NFL team where he's going to be under duress on a weekly basis.

Whilst Lawrence is the more talented QB, can't praise Burrow enough who came out of now where to take charge of the LSU offence. Of course, the new scheme fitted him like a glove but he first really impressed me against Auburn where he was under real pressure which he hadn't experienced for weeks. Furthermore, it's one thing to make the right decisions & the right throws in a regular season game, but quite another to do it at the National Championship game-well done sir & I think quite a few of us will be intrigued how he translates to the NFL under the Bungals.

One of the most important skills a quarterback needs at the next level is accuracy. A lot of QB's can be accurate from a clean pocket throwing from a consistent platform where they can go through their mechanics. However, it's accuracy when facing pressure and forced to throw from different platforms where your mechanics are disrupted that is critical.

Trevor will be the #1 overall pick, I've never questioned that. The NFL loves kids that tall with those tools. However, I just don't see the accuracy with him and never have. I watched him a lot in high school and this is what stood out to be from the beginning.

Burrow is accurate from different platforms when his mechanics are disrupted. This is the difference between an accurate quarterback and an inaccurate quarterback. Not accuracy throwing from a consistent platform or completion percentage. Accuracy is as natural as a water fall. You can't coach it. You can coach mechanics to improve accuracy when all the variables of a game aren't factors - but when things break down and you're facing pressure is the true gauge of accuracy.

I agree with the poster above who mentioned Burrow against Auburn and that was the turning point for his evaluation. Venables and Clemson basically copied the 7 DB package Auburn used to hold Burrow to 23 points. They just don't quite have Auburn's defensive line.

Last edited:
Harsh assessment....up until the second quarter of this Championship game Clemson were blowing teams away with their high scoring offense, albeit against far more inferior opposition.

Its not as if Clemson didn't have weapons for Lawrence to use & in my opinion after a steady start to the game Lawrence began to buckle under the pressure later on in the game with LSU's adjustments.

This was quite the opposite to Burrow who looked rattled early on with continuous poor field positions but impressed me with once again in shaking it off and finding a way to win with both his scrambling ability, reads & throws.

As a few people have mentioned in earlier threads, this week's game illustrated Lawrence probably needs a few more of these kind of games to mature as a polished, NFL ready QB. He did well against Bama & Ohio State but with a somewhat to a degree lesser talent around him this time round he needs to experience far more tougher games when he's under duress more often because he's most likely going to be the top pick going to a NFL team where he's going to be under duress on a weekly basis.

Whilst Lawrence is the more talented QB, can't praise Burrow enough who came out of now where to take charge of the LSU offence. Of course, the new scheme fitted him like a glove but he first really impressed me against Auburn where he was under real pressure which he hadn't experienced for weeks. Furthermore, it's one thing to make the right decisions & the right throws in a regular season game, but quite another to do it at the National Championship game-well done sir & I think quite a few of us will be intrigued how he translates to the NFL under the Bungals.

Spin it however you like. Lawrence is not getting better and that is on DABO.

Could be that little girl he had hanging off his arm at the beginning of the year, and how much time he had been practicing.
Plus losing can be a great motivator.

I know he put up a season unlike the other two, but I'm really starting to get the Manzeil/Mayfield vipe off of Burrow. Any kind of level headedness seems to be gone from him. The entire money ordeal with OBJ (and yes i think players deserve to get paid) he pretty much said **** everyone else, doesnt effect me...yeah the money was real..... but yeah kid it effects some of your teammates and your university when a booster is walking around giving players money that are still student athletes. The laughing at a cop when he told them it was against ordinances to be smoking in that venue after the game. I guess enjoy it while you can though kid, you're gonna be a bengal soon. Guess i just still have an old school mentality.

Back
Top Bottom