League Discipline? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

League Discipline?

Why do people always bring up crap like this when it’s the Dolphins? Patriot make back door deal with players like AB 2 seconds after he’s cut and nothing.
Patriots vs the rest of the league. :shrug:

Why do people always bring up crap like this when it’s the Dolphins? Patriot make back door deal with players like AB 2 seconds after he’s cut and nothing.
There's threads about Pats and AB, league discipline in the Beasts of the East forum. Also it has been a mainstream media topic since it happened.

My answer is different from everyone else.

IMHO, the league will deal with this in a bifurcated approach. Two prongs.

Prong one.
Officially they will deny that there is anything wrong, they'll underscore how important the competition is and how difficult it is to build a winning team, and defend the league and its teams, including the Dolphins, but not specifically praising the Dolphins. They will threaten extreme consequences if anyone were to tarnish the shield by choosing not to compete. They'll talk about how it would be almost impossible to go against the motivation of everyone involved in the process, and even if someone tried it, the chances of getting the top pick would be almost impossible. Too many variables. Dismiss it, deny it, sweep it under the rug, refocus the conversation to the more important issues of the league such as Super Bowl location selection, Draft location selection, unparalleled parity in the league, and if things get to intense, even the CTE controversy.

Prong two.
In privet the owners KNOW that teams tank, and it's tacitly allowed. But, they'll reprimand Ross and tell him to get his house in order to make it less transparent. They'll throw their weight around to Ross personally, and make certain that Ross takes actions with his house to ensure that it is less obvious and that he fields a more competitive team … or else there will be consequences. THIS will cause instant reverberation for the Dolphins, hard language from Coach Flo about consequences for people who do not do their jobs, rare interview "on the run" with Grier as he moves from point A to point B so he only has a minute for one question, no follow up, and Grier talks about how ridiculous these allegations are and how his job is on the line just like every other GM and if he doesn't produce wins he gets fired. He'll talk about how GM's rarely get the credit when the team wins and how they always get the blame when teams lose, nervous laughter, and he'll make a strong assertion that this is not happening here and that we're building something great … then he'll have to go.

That's how I see the NFL handling this … let's see how this plays out.

It would be really difficult to PROVE that they are intentionally tanking in the sort of way that may beget punishment of this sort. Unless Grier and Ross have some sort of signed agreement or leaked audio that says "we are going to gut the team in order to lose much as possible in order to get the #1 overall pick", there is no way to prove it. This could just be the result of standard rebuilding and sheer incompetence by FO and coaching staff.

Miami would benefit the most from any type of rule change.

1. Nothing will change for the 2020 draft.
2. We don’t need any copy cats replicating the plan once they see our results.
3. The Dolphins will continue to trade their picks for higher valued futures picks, giving them a greater chance (with someone else’s pick) at a top selection.
4. If the league is changing the rules because of something your doing, probably means your doing something TOO well.

There is no reason the Dolphins shouldn’t trade every 2nd round pick*, every year, to any team willing to give up a future first. Especially if there was in fact a lottery. Not hard to find takers for those types of deals either.

*Theres always exceptions. The 33rd pick is one.

The NFL just requires you spend a certain amount of money. That’s it. Raiders got away with spending like a quarter of the cap and then they changed the rules.

There will be no retro active BS.

Let the record show I don’t think the NFL is going to change any rules. Certainly not retroactively.

Last edited:
Simple answer to the NFL... look at the people running this franchise. They are legitimately this bad.

I think it would be extremely hard to regulate. You can't be where to personnel or game plan a certain way or make a certain play on a certain down it could never be done even if they wanted to.
It would be really difficult to PROVE that they are intentionally tanking in the sort of way that may beget punishment of this sort. Unless Grier and Ross have some sort of signed agreement or leaked audio that says "we are going to gut the team in order to lose much as possible in order to get the #1 overall pick", there is no way to prove it. This could just be the result of standard rebuilding and sheer incompetence by FO and coaching staff.
We certainly have set precedent for incompetency, I think we get a pass.

Speaking of tanking, if several teams go 0-16, what are the tiebreakers? I'm guessing point differential is somehow involved. I'm sure this answer is somewhere...so maybe I'll go google it. Friday afternoon...I'm ready for a nap.

-- Grabbed from Wikipedia. Strength of schedule is top item.

Ya standard draft rules would apply. The team with the tougher SOS loses the no.1 pick.

That’s a rule I’d like to see changed. In the event two teams finish 0-16, they should have to play each other for that pick.

Play the game the week before the super bowl. It would have 5 times the ratings of the pro bowl.

Obviously won’t happen, for no other reason then what if 3 teams go winless?

Last edited:
True, but we are at the beginning of an epic tank. It seems to be being treated differently among the press than just a “rebuild”.
It was so obvious in March... now it is downright a black mark on the league but hey... the Patriot way

If the league cares nothing about AB acting crazy and getting out of Oakland while being picked up by NE then what makes you think they would care a rats butt about Miami tanking a season ala Colts style? I mean...where is Curtis Painter anyways? Its not like this is the best tank job ever by a long shot.

If the league cares nothing about AB acting crazy and getting out of Oakland while being picked up by NE then what makes you think they would care a rats butt about Miami tanking a season ala Colts style? I mean...where is Curtis Painter anyways? Its not like this is the best tank job ever by a long shot.
Stay tuned, it's just getting started.

Where were all these people, who are complaining, around the country, when the Colts tanked? This is where I have my issues with fans and media types, who are up in arms about the Dolphins rebuild. Who are you to tell an owner how to run his business? Where were these people who are complaining about Miami, when for a decade the Cleveland Browns were stockpiling draft picks and hoarding cap space? Just because Adam Gase and Mike Tannenbaum were shown the door and have spoken up about what Ross wants to do in a Franchise Reset or Rebuild doesn't make it wrong. He's spent millions of dollars on players who've done nothing on his dime. Why can't an NFL owner want to reset or rebuild as extreme as Miami's? Tannenbaum screwed the pooch in both New York and Miami dooling out enormous contracts, Ross decides to cut bait and now Miami is the Evil Stepbrother of the NFL? Makes no sense!!! GTFOH!!!

The only way anything will happen is if the other owners think their revenue share will be affected by a drop in ticket/merch sales and force Goodell to do something against Miami.

Back
Top Bottom