League Discipline? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

League Discipline?

What are the chances the NFL enacts some sort of disciplinary action against the Dolphins for tanking? I have never heard of anything being done to talent bereft NFL teams before, but I have also never heard the kind of coverage Miami is getting for any other team supposedly tanking. Usually there is a simple acknowledgement that there isn’t a lot of talent on a team, but never before have I heard so many sportscasters actually referring to a team as tanking. This is what I am starting to hear after just one week. If Miami moves Minkah or X, it will get far worse.

Goodell is so unpredictable to me. He is letting AB play this week (unless something has changed in just the last few hours), but a widely discussed deliberate failure of a team to move up in the draft might actually be the kind of thing that spurs him into action. Plus, since his favorite team is in the AFCE, it would give him a chance to keep Craft in good standing with him.

Maybe it’s absurd, but a part of me really wonders if the league will actually do something on this.
don't you think being in the same division with the pats is enough punishment?

I don't see any. It's just a theory on how to rebuild.

Now, could the league implement something like a draft lottery or some other method to keep teams from trying essentially to intentionally lose? I definitely could see that happen. It doesn't look good for the league to have completely uncompetitive teams and games.

Bingo. Fear the Phil!

Did the league step in when the Colts started Curtis Painter?

Discipline will NEVER happen on this issue because:
- the league would have to admit it’s happening. Bad for the league
- It could never be proven

As for the lottery, it should have happened many years ago. Bottom 5, put your names in a hat and we will draw. Worst puts their name in 5 times, next to last puts their name in 4 times.. etc etc. So the worst team has the best chances, but no guarantee.

PS. Omar is a jackass. Just had to throw that in

It would be really difficult to PROVE that they are intentionally tanking in the sort of way that may beget punishment of this sort. Unless Grier and Ross have some sort of signed agreement or leaked audio that says "we are going to gut the team in order to lose much as possible in order to get the #1 overall pick", there is no way to prove it. This could just be the result of standard rebuilding and sheer incompetence by FO and coaching staff.
If such evidence does exist, they only need hire the same people who defended Robert Kraft and got his “sex tapes” thrown out.

The only way anything will happen is if the other owners think their revenue share will be affected by a drop in ticket/merch sales and force Goodell to do something against Miami.

And it won’t because Hard Rock will be filled w visiting fans (as it was last week) who come to south beach to see their favorite team get a guaranteed “W”.

If we didnt win a SB with Marino, we wouldnt have with Brees either.
Maybe, maybe not. But things would have gone a lot better than they did.

Not to mention that Dan Marino entering the league today would destroy it in ways that would make 1984 Dan Marino look like a journeyman hack— even without a running game or defense. The game’s been titled to favor the pass and Marino would take full advantage.

The problem back in the 80s was that a franchise QB wasn’t as all-important as it is today; and that Shula utterly failed at building a team around Dan Marino for years (and by the time he finally got around to putting together even a decent team around him, the team in Buffalo had put together a much, much better one).

Will the league discipline Ross and the Dolphins?

How big of a TV market is Miami? By extension have the biggest TV market have multiple unwatchable game with whoever's the Dolphins are playing the Northeast area? Hows that bite the tv revenue

Another thing, where were all these people complaining when Miami went 1-15? They were laughing at us. Now these same people are up in arms over a rebuild, when its conceivable Miami goes 0-16? I figured they'd be laughing. I guess they see what could be happening as a positive, in terms of getting it done right. And are afraid Miami gets a chance to potentially draft a QB considered to be a top of the line prospect? It's funny how the narrative changes to meet the public perception. If I were Ross, I'd think seriously about legal action if his franchise gets penalized for an unfounded conspiracy that's being hung on the franchise, because he wants to stop spending money on players, who haven't won him anything. This guy can't win no matter what he does. Terrible!!!

Last edited:
Did the league step in when the Colts started Curtis Painter?

Discipline will NEVER happen on this issue because:
- the league would have to admit it’s happening. Bad for the league
- It could never be proven

As for the lottery, it should have happened many years ago. Bottom 5, put your names in a hat and we will draw. Worst puts their name in 5 times, next to last puts their name in 4 times.. etc etc. So the worst team has the best chances, but no guarantee.

PS. Omar is a jackass. Just had to throw that in
The lottery would not have the same effect as it would in the nba. 53 Players, 22 positions and different needs would not shift the scales the way it would in the nba.

The issue has been and will be outdated coaching philosophies, nepotism and poor front office managemnt

If we didnt win a SB with Marino, we wouldnt have with Brees either.

Actually I was just referring to drafting QBs when we previously had the opportunity to pick so high. We picked #2 (Brown...Rodgers) and #1 (Long...Ryan).

Yes, but if they want to put in a rule they can, but they can’t do it without a season’s notice.
It would be unenforceable. How do you measure it? What they have is a salary floor as well as a cap. So teams have to spend at least that amount, but nobody could ever stop you from overpaying for less talent anyway. But they have that salary minimum for your roster I think to try to make teams be at least somewhat on the level of pro football. That's all they can really do on the issue IMO.

I am terrified to even write this...but there is still tons of time for the Dolphins to somehow mess this tank job up.

While “winning a game or two” is a possibility, a much more likely scenario in my opinion is these top of the draft QBs not wanting to play here and either staying in school or saying don’t draft me.

It’s like Samuel L Jackson said in Jurassic Park, “Hold onto your butts.”

Back
Top Bottom