LeBron James...PROOF that Loyalty DOESN'T MATTER... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

LeBron James...PROOF that Loyalty DOESN'T MATTER...

JCane

Administrator
Club Member
Reaction score
Well this is certainly interesting lol. And it supports everything that I've been saying in recent weeks about how loyalty doesn't matter and that he made the right decision. All of this "legacy" crap you dudes are spewing is hot garbage.

Harris Interactive Poll conducts professional polls with market research on a variety of topics. They research politics, entertainment, sports; you name it. These are polls that YOU answer.

So Harris Interactive conducts a poll on the most popular athletes of today. The newest poll was conducted from June 14 - 21 (please remember these dates). There are FOUR names that stick out here. Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Brett Favre, and LeBron James. Below is where they rank today and the number in parentheses is the previous years ranking.

1. Tiger Woods (1)
1. Kobe Bryant (4)
4. Brett Favre (9)
6. LeBron James (3)

Well, that's certainly interesting wouldn't you say? Tiger Woods, after all of the cheating and the messy divorce remains on top tied with Kobe Bryant, who also had his image tarnished by a rape scandal that turned fairly messy. Both of these guys are on top of their respective sports.

Look at the jump Brett Favre made. Brett jumps FIVE spots after going to a division rival and dragging everyone kicking and screaming thru his own version of "The Decision." We all hate Brett Favre right? We're sick of hearing about this clown, right? Apparently not. Talk about "disloyal." According to many of you, he's the epitome of disloyal. He holds the fans, team, and media hostage with his Hamlet-like decision making skills. But somehow he jumped five spots to #4. How is this possible when we all hate him? Maybe we don't hate Brett Favre like we think we do.

Now, LeBron James fell a few spots to #6. Why? Well, this poll was taken in the middle of June so it can't be because he was "disloyal" and left Cleveland. He was still in Cleveland. This poll was conducted shortly after Cleveland was bounced from the playoffs by Boston.

"But LeBron was going to leave Cleveland so that affected people's opinion of him and THAT is why he dropped."

Nope. Try again. It was largely believed that he was going to stay in Cleveland.

Didn't Kobe quit on the Lakers a couple of times? Remember that game against the Suns where he took one shot in the first half? Threatened to leave Los Angeles before they acquired Gasol? Didn't Kobe do the same thing LeBron did? Only in the end LeBron left and Kobe stayed. But then again we're talking about the city of Los Angeles v. the city of Cleveland.

The point of all of this, if loyalty mattered Brett Favre wouldn't be flying up this list. Winning cures all and people look at you differently. LeBron did the right thing. LeBron was loyal to LeBron and that's what matters in the end.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=sbd.main&ArticleID=140845

The majority of people aren't sports fans. Popular athletes are those that transcend sports and make their way into the general public's consciousness. It doesn't have much to do with what they do in the arena, more the image they build outside it.

Doesn't matter if they're sports fans or not. Point is, the individuals polled KNOW who these people are. The fact that the poll was conducted in mid-June BEFORE LeBron left Cleveland leads to one conclusion: the individuals polled understand that he hasn't won anything of significance. Everyone KNOWS about Tiger Woods and KNOWS about his infidelity and his divorce. There's no way you can't know about it.

So if people aren't bothered by cheating and messy divorces, then what matters must be winning, correct?

Tiger Woods: WINNER
Kobe Bryant: WINNER
Derek Jeter: WINNER
Brett Favre: WINNER
LeBron James: ...

All of these names are favorites among frontrunners, not fans. Basketball has the most frontrunner "fans" of any sport, by far. Baseball comes second. Tiger Woods is named because he's the only golfer most can name and he has the Nike factor. They follow winning teams only, or follow individual players.

Loyalty absolutely matters among team fans. Of course, that doesn't mean anything to individual players, especially basketball players.

Fact is, more people care about winners than guys who stick around and lose. Of course loyalty matters to team fans. But fans themselves are blindly loyal and sell their souls.

Doesn't matter if they're sports fans or not. Point is, the individuals polled KNOW who these people are. The fact that the poll was conducted in mid-June BEFORE LeBron left Cleveland leads to one conclusion: the individuals polled understand that he hasn't won anything of significance. Everyone KNOWS about Tiger Woods and KNOWS about his infidelity and his divorce. There's no way you can't know about it.

So if people aren't bothered by cheating and messy divorces, then what matters must be winning, correct?

What sucks for me as a fan of the sport (but definitely not the NBA as a whole) is that you can never add WINNER next to name like the others if the Heat do it. It will read more like:

LeBron James: WINNER* (with help)
or
LeBron James: WINNER* (on Wade's team)

As far as I've seen, he hasn't shown he can LEAD a team to a championship like the others on that list, except Tiger of course, and now it looks like he never will. That's a failure, given all the hype, IMO.

No doubt winning does impact popularity in some ways......Brees without the superbowl win isn't known by many. I just think other things are far more important. Brady has one of his worst seasons record wise and is more popular this year than last. I'm guessing it has more to do with the supermodels and talk shows than football. Earnhardt was fortunate enough to inherit a nice name and face. Most of the female athletes are better known by males for what they did with their shirts off than on. The iconic moment in Mia Hamm's career was ripping off her shirt and displaying her lovely nike sports bra. How many people know or care who she was playing against and whether they won or lost the game?

What sucks for me as a fan of the sport (but definitely not the NBA as a whole) is that you can never add WINNER next to name like the others if the Heat do it. It will read more like:

or

As far as I've seen, he hasn't shown he can LEAD a team to a championship like the others on that list, except Tiger of course, and now it looks like he never will. That's a failure, given all the hype, IMO.

LeBron has proven he can do it. He carried that scrub team on his back all the way to the Finals one year. Pretty impressive when you look at that Cleveland roster. It's pitiful. I never thought LeBron would even sniff the Finals in Cleveland because he was never going to get help.

LeBron James*? Come on.

Jordan had Pippen. Magic Johnson inherited Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and James Worthy and the rest of their DREAM TEAM. Bird got to run with McHale and Parrish. Kobe had Shaq and Shaq had Kobe. Wade had Shaq. What has Wade accomplished since Shaq left? After Shaq left Los Angeles Kobe got LESS done than LeBron did in Cleveland and Kobe had better players around him than LeBron ever did in Cleveland.

Charles Barkley spent his entire career alone. Never won ****. I bet Barkley wishes he would have jumped ship in Philadelphia years before he did. Same for Allen Iverson. I love how Magic Johnson is criticizing LeBron James but LOVED it when Karl Malone ran to the Lakers lol. You can't win alone. You need another superstar or A-type player to help you. And people can't say that Kobe didn't have a GREAT supporting cast around him after Shaq. Kobe shot 6 - 24 AT HOME in game seven this season against the Boston Celtics with the "Big Three." Without Gasol, Kobe isn't winning ****. Kobe needed Artest to win this season.

Why is LeBron James the only player who HAS to win alone to be vindicated? Why? Anytime we speak of Charles Barkley or Allen Iverson or God forbid I mention Dan Marino here, these guys get a pass because they didn't have any help. Dan Gilber COULD NOT bring help to Cleveland. He never did and he never would have...well, he would have had the talent been willing to go play in Cleveland. LeBron knew it wasn't going to happen and it's better to get out now rather than to waste another five years in Cleveland and then hit the market as a 32 year-old free agent coming down the back nine of your career trying to validate your place in the league.

or

You're right, Lebron will always be remembered like that if he wins a championship. It'll be he won, but he had help.

LeBron James: LOSER

:D

You're right, Lebron will always be remembered like that if he wins a championship. It'll be he won, but he had help.

Go thru the past NBA champions and bring me the one guy who didn't have a lot of help surrounding him. Bring me the one guy who won a title with a similar team to LeBron's. Show me.

Go thru the past NBA champions and bring me the one guy who didn't have a lot of help surrounding him. Bring me the one guy who won a title with a similar team to LeBron's. Show me.

Michael and Chi 1991-1993, Duncan and SA 1999, Hakeem and Hou 1994, Kobe and LA last year, ...

Michael and Chi 1991-1993, Duncan and SA 1999, Hakeem and Hou 1994, Kobe and LA last year, ...

Scottie Pippen. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli. Kobe had Gasol who was an All-Star without Kobe. Hakeem is about the only legitimate one you can really point to BUT that Houston team had an extremely deep bench. Sam Cassell was the sixth man for Christ's sake. And Otis Thorpe was beasting on dudes back then. This was also before the hand-check rule so the big men were still dominating. So Hakeem and Thorpe were just BRUTAL on teams. Not to mention Jordan was no where to be found.

Of the ones you mentioned, Jordan is one with the most help.

By the way, you're saying that the Bulls of Jordan's time, the Spurs, the Lakers and Rockets were similar to the Cavs lol. So with all of those teams there was one superstar with a bunch of scrubs lol.

Scottie Pippen. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli. Kobe had Gasol who was an All-Star without Kobe. Hakeem is about the only legitimate one you can really point to BUT that Houston team had an extremely deep bench. Sam Cassell was the sixth man for Christ's sake. And Otis Thorpe was beasting on dudes back then. This was also before the hand-check rule so the big men were still dominating. So Hakeem and Thorpe were just BRUTAL on teams. Not to mention Jordan was no where to be found.

Of the ones you mentioned, Jordan is one with the most help.

Early Pippen was considered soft and he didn't have much else outside of Pippen.

Parker and Ginoboli were not on that '99 SA team. he had an old, declinging David Robinson, Sean Elliott, Avery Johnson, Mario Elie, etc...

Cassell was a rookie who played 17 mins a game. It was hakeem and a bunch of role players. Otis Thorpe was nothing more than an average player.

Back
Top Bottom