Left Tackle and McIntosh | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Left Tackle and McIntosh

This was a very informative post.
At this point I would still say that we draft Samson Satele of Hawaii.
He graded well at every position on the offensive line and he long snaps.
I think we can get him in the 3rd or 4th rnd.

Good thread here. We need more threads and articles on sports websites on ways we can improve the offensive line. The Oline doesn't get near enough media attention and a lot of the fans don't realize how important the OL really is. I remember that Football Outsiders had a great article about our OL problems after the first 6 games or so in 2006. That article they wrote was right on the money. It was interesting how the OL started getting better after that article came out. That's around the time that Houck moved McIntosh back to left tackle and Shelton went to RG. Maybe the coaches and players do read articles like that one and make improvements because of them. :confused:

I'd like to see our Olinemen get as many accolades as the QB, RBs, and WRs when things are going well. I'd be happy to see one of our Olinemen be THE star of offense and get a lot of attention from the TV commentators on game days. I don't know about a lot of people, but I love to see the commentators do a slow motion replay of an Olineman doing an awesome pancake block that blasts open the big hole that the running back flies through on the way to the endzone.

I'm sure Cam will be spending plenty of time with Houck on how we can get a top tier OL going this year. Just look at how well the Chargers' OL was this year. LT was running wild getting the big yards and TDs and Rivers had good protection almost every game. Hopefully, some of Cam's magic with the Chargers' line is coming to Miami with him.

Excellent post. That is a long overdue point you're making. Extremely well backed up. McIntosh saved our season from slipping into an abyss caused by the massive blunders that were our OL additions.

Having said that, it would be nice to upgrade. I'd love to have a true stud LT. It kills me to think we didn't jump on the potential in Marcus Mcneil. Still, for lack of better options it's good to have McIntosh around.

I second the motion

great break down. It makes you think, we know where we would all like upgrades, but the real question is where would an upgrade make the most impact on others performance?

I agree with you. We could probably use an upgrade at every position except RDE on this team. The question is what position if upgraded will most benefit the Dolphins in terms of wins. To me that translates to either a position that will put more points on the board or prevent the opposition from scoring more points on us.

Like I stated previously, what the Dolphins seriously lack are playmakers. Except for Jason Taylor the Dolphins have NOONE on the team that can be counted on to make a big play, MUCH LESS make a big play when the game is on the line.

In my opinion our OL is not a priority, especially considering that Ronnie Brown gained over a thousand yards in about 12 games, and he is still learning the PRO running game.

Same analysis for the DLine. It's obviously an aging DLine, but new does not always mean better. Besides we already have several young guys on the DLine that could come through if given the playing time.

CB play was not great, but we also had a lot of injuries at the CB position. We were still not torched on a regular basis that deems the CB position an absolute and great need for upgrade. With the CBs in the draft, our best bet is a top-tier free-agent, noone from the draft is considered a great CB.

In my opinion although not the greatest OLB, we can live with Spragan another year until some stud comes a long in next years draft.

That leaves QB, RB, WR, DE, and Safety as the positions that would most benefit our won-loss record.

If we are looking for immediate dividends then Quinn is not what we need. Secondly, realistically, if Culpepper is healthy I don't see Quinn beating him out. So Quinn might be on the bench holding a clipboard for the next 2-3 years.

At RB even though A Peterson could be great we've invested so much in Ronnie Brown that we have to and can wait another year or two to see if he turns the corner on his career. Maybe Cam's offense will be the boost that Ronnie needs.

That leaves WR, DE, and Safety. What player at one of these positions that will be available to us has the best chance to start or contribute significantly?

Because there is only one DE position available on our team and Roth has produced when he has gotten the opportunity, plus the DE we select must also be great against the run otherwise he'll be on the bench for 66% of each series, a DE will not contribute significantly this year.

That leaves WR and Safety. Two of the best players in the draft are Safeties. With the players we have starting for us, there exist a chance that one of these safeties could possibly start for us.

WR is probably the strength of this Draft and also a position of need for us. A WR has more opportunity for immediate dividends because the right WR could possibly start (given Booker's situation and Chamber's knack for being shutdown in previous offensive systems). Also there are schemes that call for 3 and 4 WR sets that increases the opportunities for a WR to contribute immediately (consider Holmes with the Steelers). A WR that also returns punts and kickoffs at a superior level triples his opportunities to provide an immediate impact to this team.

With all the above in mind, it boils down to Ginn or one of the other WRs, a safety (Landry or Nelson), or Quinn. I feel those players or positions gives the Dolphins the possibility of immediate or near future impact on our W-L record and our playoff chances. Remember you have to reach the playoffs in order to have a chance at winning the Super Bowl. Once you get into the Playoffs anything can happen.

We have a long list of gaurd's; could any of them possibly move to tackle if we can't sign Mac or another FA??????? What if we are looking at a 2nd or third round draft pick and the Cardinals keep taking our guy????? What if Alabi just isn't good enough???

You don't need 5 studs on the Oline. You need a cohesive unit that understands where they need to be and their roles. I didn't even need to read this whole post to know that this is wrong. You wasted your own time by replying to this and saying that we need 5 new OLineman and they all need to be studs. I watch football too, and know you don't need this.

Thats what I meant. 5 cohesive studs.

If Mac was such a good LT, why was Shelton signed(for a real $$$) to be the LT?

5 Stars, very good points made, and some that constantly seem to be overlooked in assessing Daunte Culpepper.

Anyone who is being perfectly honest with themselves knows the O-line Daunte played with in the beginning of the season was much different than the one Cleo Lemon finished with.

If Mac was such a good LT, why was Shelton signed(for a real $$$) to be the LT?

He may have been signed to be a LT but he ended the season at RG.

I liked Mac when he played LT for SD.

There isnt much on the LT list this year and i believe that Mac played for Cam in SD and will resign him and let him play LT hes good enough.

While I disagree with the analysis regarding Culpepper (it's virtually impossible to tell if the sacks went down to a change in QB and/or the shuffle of the OL, or the combination thereof) I thought the rest of your article was very interesting. The one thing that confuses me is that I had tracked a couple of game stats, post line shuffle, where the YPC to the left side was significantly worse than the YPC when running to the right side.

That said, I agree with you that the Phins should resign McIntosh, however, I would hope they seek to upgrade or add depth by signing Thomas or Brown in the draft and/or Leonard Davis in F/A.

GO PHINS~!

Back
Top Bottom