Left Tackle vs Qb | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Left Tackle vs Qb

djfresh47

R.I.P. djfresh47
Reaction score
What is a more important position for an offense? These are probably considered the most important, but what one really is more important. The top 2 prospects for next years draft are a LT and a QB right now, in Fergusan and Leinart, and they quite possibly would've gone 1-2 in this years draft, is the reason I bring this up, and because they are the biggest holes on the offensive side of the ball for the Phins right now. Jonas Jennings a LT who played good while healthy got a pretty decent contract from SF, and Feeley was worth a 2nd rd pick, whether you agree with it or not to try to solidify positions for teams. Jennings was constantly hurt for the Bills but good while he played, and Feeley has played well at times, but were they both really worth what they got? Both teams overpaid IMO, but would you rather have a team overpay for a Qb or a Lt, doing it for a Qb sets the franchise back a few years, but not having a solid Lt can make a Qb look alot worse than he actually is. Just thinking if the LT position turns out to be a bust, and Feeley turns out to be a bust which is a bigger need next year? Defensive tackle can be thrown in the mix, but i'll leave it out, would you rather have the Phins take a LT or a Qb if both fail this year? I'll go one-step further and eliminate Leinart from the converstation because he's left handed, and would make the LT position less valuable, and since i've gotten rid of Leinart i'll also get rid of Fergusan the top 2 players at both positions, which would you rather see the Phins get if Feeley and Mcintosh/Carey both fail this year?

LT is only important because they protect right-handed QB's blindside, so I say QB...

Its got to be QB. You can have a non great LT and still have a very good team. There are like only 10 big name LT in the game right now other than that there just the next guy on the o-line. QBs have the biggest impact and are most important.

Who would you rather have Seth Wand and Tom Brady or Walter Jones and (I cant use AJ Feeley here ;) Trent Dilfer.

QBs

that's probably the easiest question i've had to think about all year. Tackles can get help in protecting a QBs blindside.

BillsCA said:
Its got to be QB. You can have a non great LT and still have a very good team. There are like only 10 big name LT in the game right now other than that there just the next guy on the o-line. QBs have the biggest impact and are most important.

Who would you rather have Seth Wand and Tom Brady or Walter Jones and (I cant use AJ Feeley here ;) Trent Dilfer.

Yeah but let's say Mike Gandy does not play very well for the Bills. Him not playing well will hurt Losman's performance, regardless of how talented he is.

Still you cant honestly tell me you would rather have the best LT than the best QB.

It is not like we are asking Gandy to face great DE one on on he will have help , with chip blocking from Rbs and Te's whatever. Its not like we are gonna put him on an island (which is what you can do with some great LT.)

BillsCA said:
Still you cant honestly tell me you would rather have the best LT than the best QB.

It is not like we are asking Gandy to face great DE one on on he will have help , with chip blocking from Rbs and Te's whatever. Its not like we are gonna put him on an island (which is what you can do with some great LT.)

Well if you bring the best into the conversation it's tough to argue, and less relevant to the Phins and even the Bills. I'll break it down to this would you rather have an above average Qb say Chad Pennington, and a less than average Lt in Mcintosh, or say a less than average Qb in Feeley and an above average Lt in Jennings?

No brainer, its qb. You need an intelligent skilled qb whose able to process the information (i.e. very large men in their particular scheme) coming at him in the matter of a few seconds and who can quickly formulate a decision on where to go with the ball predicated on the play called

BillsCA said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Dude, you used Seth Wand in a sentence :lol: 10, 000 points!!

HysterikiLL said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Dude, you used Seth Wand in a sentence :lol: 10, 000 points!!

Thought you might like that. ;)

And yes I would still chose QB.

Boik14 said:
No brainer, its qb. You need an intelligent skilled qb whose able to process the information (i.e. very large men in their particular scheme) coming at him in the matter of a few seconds and who can quickly formulate a decision on where to go with the ball predicated on the play called

I think Qb is more important than Lt, but some people do believe Lt is more important. I'll play devil's advocate and say that Qb play depends more on the Lt than the Lt play depends on the Qb, which is why I think Qb is more important. The point that Lt is more important is that the Qb will not make good decisions because of he will not get the enough time for a play to develop to make an accurate read on a defense and thus be forced into a bad decision. I realize that everyone would like the Qb to throw the ball away, but with pressure from the backside the Qb will not be able to get a view of when he should get the ball away or throw it away, I also know that the Qb is expected to "feel" the pressure but, if he does not see the pressure than he is probably gonna get rattled so he's gonna play less than his talent may allow him. I've realized from your posts that you're not a Feeley backer, and I am very skeptical of his play and don't view him as a long term solution so i'll ask you this, Omar Jacobs who is viewed as the 2nd best Qb prospect by Nfldraftblitz, or Marcus McNeil who is viewed as the 2nd best Lt prospect by the same site, who would you rather have? I do believe Qb is more important, and I think that Tyler Palko will emerge as the Alex Smith of next years draft, but I do not want to put in left handed Qb's because it will ruin the arguement.

qb, lt's can get help from backs and tight ends to protect the qb, but nobody can help a qb read defenses and throw passes.

Back
Top Bottom