Leonard Henry will surprise people...

minus

Perennial All-Pro
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
clear.gif

6'1

210 ? Pounds

Henry also credits the player he has spent his NFL career behind in Miami for the success he has had to this point in NFL Europe. Ricky Williams was acquired by the Dolphins just a month prior to the team's drafting of Henry, and the rookie back was fortunate enough to be able to spend his first year learning from Williams as he bruised and battered his way to the NFL rushing title.

"It helped me a lot to play on the same team as Ricky, because his is a very, very talented player - one of the best at any position in the NFL. I watch a lot of the things that he does on the field, but I mostly watch how he prepares for a game," said Henry. "He studies hard, he makes sure he takes care of his body in the proper ways, and takes the right rest - those are the kind of things that help you on the field tremendously."

Three inches taller than Williams, but 20 pounds lighter, Henry sees himself as a similar type of back to the All-Pro, excelling at gaining yards between the tackles.

"I run well between the tackles - kind of a downhill runner, but I have the speed to break outside. I work well with draws and counters, plays like that."

Source:NFL Europe Article

Keep an eye out on this guy who has been impressive since day 1 as a rookie.

ok, we're really starting to reach now....

I think what's important is the fact that there is depth and experience at that position, the fins will need another running back to compete and with good coaching they'll make the best of it.
I look at it this way and it crossed my mind before what would we have done if ricky got hurt changing a light bulb and was out for the season?
They must have a plan B and henry and minor must have been part of it.
You think it would work that way.

I've watch him in training camp since he was a rook and he was impressive since day 1.Leonard Henry is a talanted back who now has his time to shine.

I agree w/ Henry being impressive. Hopefully he can show something in camp. If he does, we can use Rickys mony to sign Ogun and CC and leave the running this year to Minor and Henry, add Mack cheap and if need be go after edge next offseason.

I think Henry is more likely to be able to handle the every down back role than Travis Minor. The guy may well surprise everyone. I like what little I've seen of him.

One thing is for sure, we have guys who can play and have talent. Not Rickys talent but there arent many out there who are Ricky types either. I think this offense has alot of ? but those ? could actually help us if we are able to execute.

Pre-season is the big factor in how carries are going to be determined. Thats where we have to watch Henry big time. I'd love for this guy to be a helpful factor in our running game, but right now Minor is the #1 guy, and that doesn't bother me as much as you'd think.

I've been really thinking about it, and I don't know if we want or could get Edge. I've heard speculation that he wants to retire with working legs and knees, and he's not exactly getting any younger.

I'd consider trying to find a future RB in next years draft maybe, but I haven't decided on what my true stance is right now.

I definately wouldn't mind bringing in another RB right now to compete, as long as he doesn't cost us a fortune.

Agua said:
I think Henry is more likely to be able to handle the every down back role than Travis Minor. The guy may well surprise everyone. I like what little I've seen of him.

He is our best hope at this point.
Keep in mind that we made the playoffs with Lamar Smith and a good defense before Ricky. The defense will arguably be better than it has ever been. All Leonard Henry has to be is as reliable as Lamar was and that isn't that big a role to fill. Lamar wasn't highly talented, he just banged out tough yards.

If Leonard Henry can fill a similar role AND the OL improves this team can make the playoffs and be respectable.

The ability to really compete with the elite teams deep into the playoffs and to win a championship left town with Ricky Williams though. That is just simple reality. His departure leaves this team having to be a scrapper rather than a powerhouse team.

Maybe that is our best option. Work with what we have now. Pray that one of our backs shine. Get Ogun and CC signed long-term. And if our backs don't work out, we work hard on acquiring a quality back next season.

Sounds simple enough right?

Agua said:
The guy may well surprise everyone. I like what little I've seen of him.
I w/say the same thing about Minor. As long as we can keep him fresh by playing someone else - Henry maybe - he can be a good back

maybe it will help the offense by not being so dependent on one player. the fins had a higher ppg and ypg average in '00 and '01 than they did in '02 and '03. As a matter fact, in '01 (fins best O year post-marino), the running game was almost non-existent as nobody gained 1,000 yards and smith averaged 3.1 ypc, yet fiedler had his best season (3200yds, 20tds), chambers was awesome, the rest of the wideout options were steady, and to give a reason for hope, minor averaged 4.8 ypc and 9.1 ypr.

i have to admit .. while i am suprised and stunned about ricky's retirement .. it was something that was unexpected and it could very well be expected from a guy like ricky ... so with that theme in mind ... lets assume the unexpected about henry and say he becomes a very capable replacement .. he does have alot of talent and does pocess that incredible breakaway speed .. and if it wasn't for a hammy injury in NFLE he could have been something special... i will hold out hope for a a trade for someone like lamar gordon, larry johnson and/or anthony thomas ... but my gut tells me.. rick will go to battle with what he has on the roster now ... and address the need in the offseason via F/A or draft ... but for now... i will keep the faith i have had in rick spielman and his evaluating talents... and pray that henry runs like he did in the preseason and in his short stint in NFLE ... and runs us into the playoffs!!!!

Back
Top Bottom