Let me address Franchise/Transition players | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let me address Franchise/Transition players

Saint Greg

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
A franchise player can be signed by another team in free agency if that team has 2 first round picks. If you do not have 2 first round picks you need to trade for another before you can sign a francise or transition player. If the tagging team agrees, you can give them a first and two 2nds in place of 2 firsts, or whatever other draft pick compensation he is willing to agree on.

One more thing. Franchise/Transition players cannot be traded until after free agency. As far as we are concerned they are not owned officially by the tagging team until they have cleared free agency.

Ok, I do have a problem then and i'll apologize to the league for jumping the gun on this one. I felt pretty confident that we would not be able to compensate with two number 1s for franchised playes so when i was offered a deal for antoine winfield i accepted.
he was a free agent, franchised and then traded to me. numerous trades have been made since then and i apologize for jumping the gun.
that being said, does anyone here have a problem with that trade since not only is antoine winfields salary high (top 5 CB salary), but i doubt anyone would give up 2 1sts in this years draft and then pay him over 5 million as well. So rather than going back and undoing that trade and any others that have involved players or picks (which are most of mine since the winfield trade was my first of 5 so far and i kinda built my offseason around it) i was wondering if i could get approval from the league on this one instead of creating a bigger mess. AFterall if the tagging team can agree to different compensation in the form of later picks, then why not players.

Again, i apologize for jumping the gun, won't puruse anymore franchised players, i had talked about it with a few other owners and it made sense that we wouldnt be able to compensate for franchised players with the necessary picks so figured a trade was acceptable(kind of like adjusting draft pick compensations, but using players to make up for picks), should have asked first to make sure.

apologize, let me know what you guys thinks and how to go about this asap, thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the rules state that no Franchised player can be traded until the end of free agency. Not to be an a-hole or anything, but if you bend the rules, everybody does.

thats fair, im just saying it doesnt make sense that we can talk different compensation like saint greg said, in the sense that if you dont have 2 firsts you can maybe offer a 1st and 2nd or whatever the owner agrees to.. well in this case the owner rathered the player and the picks, then just picks... same sort of thing, just different compensation. if we are going to be lenient with what picks we can offer we might as well just make them tradable commodoties after being tagged.

i cant speak for the bills owner, but by taking this trade back now it would basically just mean the bills owner would have 5 million extra on his cap during free agency and will miss out on a chance to upgrade his team, and then we'd complete the trade after free agency(and hed have 5 mil of empty cap space which he couldnt use). i'm not sure if taking this trade back would affect other trades hes made, but i don't believe it would change any of mine, so i'm willing to do it even if it doesnt make much sense, and i'll make the deal after Free Agency if it's necessary

I miss stated in that rule. It's during a point in free agency...I think last year we agreed on 72 hours into free agency....All franchise/transition/RFAs that didn't receive bids were considered to be sigend by their teams.

As for the rule. The purpose behind it is too keep people with no cap room from simply tagging and trading....if we allow it to be that easy the top two players from each team will be off the market, no matter what the teams cap position is.....this way if they want to tag and trade, they have to have the player on their roster at the beginnning of the free agent period, and be under the cap. If they want to spend the cap room they create by trading him later, they can do that.

If over half of the league would like to change this rule...that would be fine with me. But i think it's a good rule, with a good purpose. You can agree to a trade in "principle" if you want...and make the trade later. But that doesn't mean you can save a PM of his and consider that proof of him agreeing to a trade. If he changes his mind between now and then....he changes his mind.

the only thing I see wrong with this, is people have to wait until 3 days after our FA period begins, but teams have already started trading and talking trades...I cant even discuss a possible trade with Woodson, because at this rate I can't even trade him for a week from now, while everyone else is setting up their offseason moves to take place as soon as it officially begins. Also, GM's have no way of restructuring contracts or resigning FA's who would normally accept a lower salary just to stay on that Team's roster...instead they have to bid. Some adjustments have been made to make it more practical for a Mock Off Season already, and to me this makes more sense, but my opinion is heavily biased at this point with some major off season moves being made around Woodson.

Either way the League decides I'll be behind it, that's just my opinion

Back
Top Bottom