Let's all breathe for a second | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's all breathe for a second

I can tell you this . . if Grier gives away 2 or our firsts from this year or next to move up for Tua, and Tua turns out to be a bust, I will likely move on from the Dolphins after 50 years as a dedicated fan. Why? Because they will have shown me they are still thoroughly amateur hour, as they have been since Shula.

Shula was amateur hour the day he got Dan. If you can live through all that you'll be fine with one more bust.

I can tell you this . . if Grier gives away 2 or our firsts from this year or next to move up for Tua, and Tua turns out to be a bust, I will likely move on from the Dolphins after 50 years as a dedicated fan. Why? Because they will have shown me they are still thoroughly amateur hour, as they have been since Shula.
Well thats were we differ, I dont give a **** if the QB they move up for busts, it was still the right move. I'd finally be certain that the Fins have finally decided to quit playing scared and are moving in the right direction.

There is way too much trade talk pre-combine and free agency. I am with everyone, we need the QB of the future and it isn't Rosen. But let's not forget the big picture here, we need a QB AND we essentially need to replace two Pro-Bowlers we traded away for picks. Is the business plan to trade Pro Bowlers for picks AND to trade those picks for a QB? The best outcome overall to start filling the empty cupboards is to stay at 5, and draft players at 18 and 26, maybe even sliding down a pick or two with those later picks and getting an extra pick. Teams love trading back into the first round late, and might be willing to help our war chest in 2021.

As for Free Agency, do we really want to spend $100M in new deals and use up the cap? That model just hasn't worked and we are finally getting back funds used for bad deals. And if it isn't insult to injury, we still have $12M in dead cap money for Fitzpatrick, Alonso, McDonald and Stills. I haven't seen anyone post this stat, but lats year Miami had $66M in dead cap money, that is leftover money from players traded or released. Miami does need to accelerate their empty cupboards with some spending. Maybe one splash, but they should be big bargain shoppers on Day 2-3. Those could be shorter term deals, and as your draft picks grow in numbers, can essentially cut those free agents, with minimum hits.

Miami needs a plan for sustained growth. They do not need a one year smoke and mirrors season and then revert back, like Gase's first year. If Miami does this right, 2022 will be a magical year, with the leap in 2021. And if they are fiscally responsible, should be in a good place for years to come.

I agree with staying 5 unless the target is Burrow... who I think is special.

As far as free agency... this is the one year we can go get young top free agents... we won’t have to pay a franchise QB for years.

No Im saying we have enough to trade up to secure the 2nd best QB in the draft and still have more picks(and cap space) than the rest of the NFL to build around him...
so $66M last year in dead cap money wasn't enough of a lesson for you to not go after free agents as if we are ready to win the Super Bowl? When used right, FA is used to get one, maybe two players to put you over the top. We are very far away from that

Right so then we use FA and draft to find 7 more this offseason which should relegate the 7 starters they replace to backups this year. So then we're at 13-14 quality starters. Yeah we need 22 but looks like massive improvement to me in one year. DO you want us to find less starters so it takes longer? I'm not understanding where you're heading here.
so you think if we sign 7 Free Agents they all work out? and all the picks work out? so every Move Miami makes will be a homerun?

so you think if we sign 7 Free Agents they all work out? and all the picks work out? so every Move Miami makes will be a homerun?
No one said anything about signing 7 free agents. Read what I wrote...then comment. 7 between FA and draft. Yeah out of what? Probably 18 new players? Yeah I would think 7 should stick or we have much bigger problems.

so $66M last year in dead cap money wasn't enough of a lesson for you to not go after free agents as if we are ready to win the Super Bowl? When used right, FA is used to get one, maybe two players to put you over the top. We are very far away from that
FA is to help fill holes. Draft is the main key. Reason why we were bad for so long wasn't JUST missing on FA's it was primarily because three years after many drafts there wasn't a starter from them on the roster. Do that enough times and you get The Lions or the Dolphins or the '17 Browns.

There is way too much trade talk pre-combine and free agency. I am with everyone, we need the QB of the future and it isn't Rosen. But let's not forget the big picture here, we need a QB AND we essentially need to replace two Pro-Bowlers we traded away for picks. Is the business plan to trade Pro Bowlers for picks AND to trade those picks for a QB? The best outcome overall to start filling the empty cupboards is to stay at 5, and draft players at 18 and 26, maybe even sliding down a pick or two with those later picks and getting an extra pick. Teams love trading back into the first round late, and might be willing to help our war chest in 2021.

As for Free Agency, do we really want to spend $100M in new deals and use up the cap? That model just hasn't worked and we are finally getting back funds used for bad deals. And if it isn't insult to injury, we still have $12M in dead cap money for Fitzpatrick, Alonso, McDonald and Stills. I haven't seen anyone post this stat, but lats year Miami had $66M in dead cap money, that is leftover money from players traded or released. Miami does need to accelerate their empty cupboards with some spending. Maybe one splash, but they should be big bargain shoppers on Day 2-3. Those could be shorter term deals, and as your draft picks grow in numbers, can essentially cut those free agents, with minimum hits.

Miami needs a plan for sustained growth. They do not need a one year smoke and mirrors season and then revert back, like Gase's first year. If Miami does this right, 2022 will be a magical year, with the leap in 2021. And if they are fiscally responsible, should be in a good place for years to come.

I‘m glad you already decided that Rosen is not the guy but excuse me while I won’t take your word for it, I’ll wait to hear from the professionals as in Brian Flores.

We don’t have to worry about dead money at this point because we gutted the team and see no reason to harp on that handcuff.

Miami already has a plan in place and that doesn’t involve smoke and mirrors. Why do you think they let Gase go. Surprised you’re still even bringing that up after the season we just had.

And this coming season is not going to be a magical year, would be foolish to believe that. It’s going to be a transition year, hopefully a successful one at that

Spot on, it was never sold as a one-season fix. We didn't create the mess overnight, it's going to take some time to fix it. Don't trade away all the draft capital, we need to rebuild the TEAM. Anyone who is expecting a 1-year turnaround is going to be sorely disappointed, chances are we're going to be having the same discussions at the end of next season. We were warned...

I hear you Marino but, that doesn't mean we shouldn't have maximum urgency to fix it. We'll never have a perfect roster. Even when we get close to perfect, we'll have injuries, stabbings, arrests, and other stuff to contend with.

I hear you Marino but, that doesn't mean we shouldn't have maximum urgency to fix it. We'll never have a perfect roster. Even when we get close to perfect, we'll have injuries, stabbings, arrests, and other stuff to contend with.
Why are we drafting Gators?

I‘m glad you already decided that Rosen is not the guy but excuse me while I won’t take your word for it, I’ll wait to hear from the professionals as in Brian Flores.

We don’t have to worry about dead money at this point because we gutted the team and see no reason to harp on that handcuff.

Miami already has a plan in place and that doesn’t involve smoke and mirrors. Why do you think they let Gase go. Surprised you’re still even bringing that up after the season we just had.

And this coming season is not going to be a magical year, would be foolish to believe that. It’s going to be a transition year, hopefully a successful one at that

There is a better chance he's third string or off this team then him starting for this team next year haha

Those expecting to actually spend 3 first round picks this year... I’d brace yourself.

I think we only make 1-2 first round picks. We have excess for a reason

Back
Top Bottom