Lets assume everything goes as planned: what do we do with the two 1st rounders? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lets assume everything goes as planned: what do we do with the two 1st rounders?

When your system is based on RB by committee like McDaniel prefers, I doubt you will see a first-round investment in one, either. Circumstances has already made that point by pointing to Edmonds as a guy they targeted in FA this year. They have a really experienced group in the RB room, and I think they will tweak it next year with at best one of their two 3rd round picks at the earliest. But even then, they may opt to draft one later. Think of the cost factor in putting your resources into a RB like Christian McCaffery, Saquon Barkley, or Derrick Henry, only to lose them early on where you had based your offensive philosophy around them in the off-season prior to the games being played.
A RB I like for next year that they may get would be Camerun Peoples from App State who might be there in the 3rd or 4th round. He is Big and Fast but he did have an ACL tear two years ago..
We can always just have Doaksy, or Laquandre White, or someone else just emerge into Jonathan Taylor out of nowhere for us!

If we have a late round pick 1a,(our pick) why not pick the best rb, and use 1st pick from San fran on BPA or LB.
Because those picks aren't high value in today's game, and Rd1 contracts are, relatively, not all that attractive for those positions. Most of the league uses a RBBC approach to one extent or another. It's the way it is in the modern game, and it is logical from a couple different perspectives.

As far as LB, I wouldn't say it's true of all teams, but in our current scheme/philosophy we are continually rotating guys situationally, as well as employing "package" substitutions with the entire front 7.

There just aren't that many "3 down" backs, or LBs today.

Highest ranked player on our draft board!
How do you directly compare an Olineman with say a Corner? I suppose if you are saying BPA in someone's opinion, but that's a lot like throwing darts. I don't consider it as clear cut as some make it out to be. Need always factors in.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say Tua balls out and Trey Lance poops the bed and SF reverts back to their season two years ago and we draft 3rd overall. Let's say the first two picks are QBs and Will Anderson is staring right at us!
Oh, one can dream! And you use your second first round pick(Pick 32) ;) on best pass rusher, center, tackle available! That, in my opinion, would be what you call Christmas in April!

Too early to tell. From now to then could be injuries, retirements, FA losses..... I think most likely that Tua's gonna be kicking ass this year, so depends where the other needs will be.

I'll never complain about drafting a dominant OLineman, though.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say Tua balls out and Trey Lance poops the bed and SF reverts back to their season two years ago and we draft 3rd overall. Let's say the first two picks are QBs and Will Anderson is staring right at us!
Oh, one can dream! And you use your second first round pick(Pick 32) ;) on best pass rusher, center, tackle available!
Hypothetically, lets say one of the teams ahead of the SF pick doesn't take a QB, and Grier parlays that pick into multiple RD1s for the next couple years, from a team desperate for a QB..........

Hypothetically, lets say one of the teams ahead of the SF pick doesn't take a QB, and Grier parlays that pick into multiple RD1s for the next couple years, from a team desperate for a QB..........
That works for me just as much! But only if Anderson is gone. Anderson could be the second coming of LT..

How do you directly compare an Olineman with say a Corner? I suppose if you are saying BPA in someone's opinion, but that's a lot like throwing darts. I don't consider it as clear cut as some make it out to be. Need always factors in.
That's the thing. BPA is always going to be the team's opinion.

And team need will always play some role.

But you have to rank all the prospects. If you have the 2nd pick and a QB goes #1 overall, you need to know who you're taking. Same all the way down the line.

Last edited:
CB for sure. After X and Jones fall off, the cupboard is bare. We also need to think about OT, since Amrstead is on the wrong side of 30. We have no other viable LT ( and maybe no viable RT).

Back
Top Bottom