Lets assume everything goes as planned: what do we do with the two 1st rounders? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lets assume everything goes as planned: what do we do with the two 1st rounders?

Not that I'm advocating it, but.. I saw something like 5 of the 6 teams in the last 3 Superbowls had a 1st or 2nd round RB playing in the Superbowl.

Again, to be clear, I'm not advocating selecting a running back that high, but I think there is a very slight reason to have the discussion.
People here are crazy balking at a RB should an Emmit Smith quality back be available. Of course, short of that kind of talent, you draft other needs...but if that type of talent is there you get it.

That being said, I'd go best pass rusher available either on the line or a backer...and with 1b I'd see how the draft board plays out and pick the best player available...And i mean like the best player you are confident that will be at least a solid player, NOT a reach like Igg..

Honestly, I'm a little ruthless even if Tua were to do phenomenal next year, i'd likely get a 3rd or 4th rounder on a QB as i believe in having young ascending talent developing as our Backup QB rather than retreads like Brissett..
1st rounder i'd take the BPA at either OT or LB, Maybe i'm just shellshocked by how bad Offensive lines/coaching ruined Tannehill almost i don't want to ever go through that again.

That would be moronic. You don’t draft RBs in the first round. You don’t win paying a RB first round money. Barkely, Ezekiel, Peterson I could go on. You draft RBs in the third and fourth rounds where you can find great value and run them into the ground until their wheels fall off. You draft em every three years to avoid the wear and tear and paying the big contract coming off their rookie contract. Wash rinse and repeat, churn and burn them
If that's the case why do most drafts have RBs taken in the 1st round.
Yes it's a passing league but teams like the Titans and Browns have star RB that put them in the playoffs each year. Not their shitty QBs

Yes it's a passing league but teams like the Titans and Browns have star RB that put them in the playoffs each year. Not their shitty QBs

ironically, neither Nick Chubb nor Derrick Henry were drafted in round 1. neither were Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Dalvin Cook, Eli Mitchell, Antonio Gibson and Damien Harris. only two of the top 10 rushers in 2021 were first round picks (Najee Harris, Zeke Elliott).

five of those players were 2nd rounders. that's the sweet spot for RBs in today's NFL.

With both Howard and Jones getting up there in age, finding potential replacements may be an option. Needham is a F/A, does Miami keep him or let him walk?

Another LB to rush the passer. Van Ginkle may not be re-signed?

Sieler and Wilkins are about to be F/A's in a year, does Miami look for DT's?

Then there is RB. Does Miami look for the Star RB, or a later round find?
No doubt going to need a CB after this year. Premium position. If not one of the two in the 1s round, def in 2nd round.

Like you haven’t seen a load of dumb GMs who make dumb mistakes? It’s because the eye candy is too sweet to pass up and the numbers they put up in college and think it will translate into the NFL and bring them a championship.
I just gave you a bunch of examples and can give you a load more. So, show me a back who put the team on their back and ran their way to a SB championship. Riggins back in 82, Terrell Davis back in the 90s? Different game and era. It’s just too stupid to pay a RB that kind of money

So much of what we spend two 1sts on depends on where we are weak. If we hit the playoffs and are eliminated early we'll be able to identify some weaknesses that prevented us going deep into the playoffs and use the picks for those areas.

If we roll up to the Super Bowl and win then we look at keeping everyone on the roster and possibly using one of the firsts for any key players who want a big contract or there is always the possibility we could trade them into the next draft where we may have bigger needs.

I think the first scenario is the most likely but I am hoping we get to the second one!

Hypothetically speaking, let's say Tua balls out and Trey Lance poops the bed and SF reverts back to their season two years ago and we draft 3rd overall. Let's say the first two picks are QBs and Will Anderson is staring right at us!
Oh, one can dream! And you use your second first round pick(Pick 32) ;) on best pass rusher, center, tackle available! That, in my opinion, would be what you call Christmas in April!
It would be just our luck that tua does ball out... we don't pick a qb next year, then the year after that Tua gets another season, maybe career ending injury... ugh. Lol. Sorry I just put that out there but that has been our luck the last 20 years

Hypothetically, lets say one of the teams ahead of the SF pick doesn't take a QB, and Grier parlays that pick into multiple RD1s for the next couple years, from a team desperate for a QB..........
This would be great!!

On a side note, I think I have mentioned before that circumstances and I see a lot of things the same on here. Take a look who he has on his page. I am going to call it right now that Christian Wilkins is a definite lock for a Pro Bowl appearance this season! Like I said, circumstances and I see this game the same. Now, just please don't judge me and hate me for that! :lol:
I HIGHLY doubt that... :clumpy:lol:
@circumstances

I never understood the Armstead signing in that it doesn't protect his blind side? Wouldn't a right tackle be more important with a lefty?

I'm not saying it isn't a huge upgrade to the line, but confuses me.
A team's best pass-rusher typically plays over the left tackle more times than naught. In Tua's case, he would be rolling toward the best rusher on the team and you still have to block him. :shrug:

That would be moronic. You don’t draft RBs in the first round. You don’t win paying a RB first round money. Barkely, Ezekiel, Peterson I could go on. You draft RBs in the third and fourth rounds where you can find great value and run them into the ground until their wheels fall off. You draft em every three years to avoid the wear and tear and paying the big contract coming off their rookie contract. Wash rinse and repeat, churn and burn them
This sounds strikingly familiar! LOL Totally agree with you, Easy! I posted that earlier in this thread. Just not worth the risk of injury and short shelf-life that the position of RB presents.

Back
Top Bottom