Lets assume... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lets assume...

Phinadict

And away he goes...
Club Member
Reaction score
...that we have NO picks in the draft. Given the changes made to the coaching staff and offensive and defensive lines, are the tools in place for Feeley to meet expectation (or at least moreso than last year)? Regardless of who we draft, we have made some substantial changes to our lines and the people responsible for them. I for one can't wait to see what Feeley nad Gordon are capable of behind an improved O-line, and what Carter and Holiday will add to our pass rush abilities. I have a feeling that JT is going to get a lot more looks at the QB, from either spot he plays. I think whoever we draft will be icing on the cake that WH has baked up for us fans durring this offseason. Anyone else have any feelings on what we have already done with the team and how / where we are improved without drrafting a single soul?

LT...that is the main ?. I really hope that Carey can be a decent LT. I think that Stokar McDougle will become our starting RT. St. Clair has stated that he does not want to play LT...but he can play center. Carey and McIntosh will fight it out for LT...I hope Carey wins. Oh and Wade Smith might be playing center...we do have a lot of options...plus I like our new OL coach Hudson Houck...so basically we need improvement on the LT position IMO.

Oh one more thing...what is Carey arm length? I hope its 32 inches or more...because I read something about how Saban grades OL players and he stated something about them having a 32 inch reach which they must have to be successful...so can someone please find out Carey's are lenght?

Go Fins!!!

Phinadict said:
...that we have NO picks in the draft. Given the changes made to the coaching staff and offensive and defensive lines, are the tools in place for Feeley to meet expectation (or at least moreso than last year)? Regardless of who we draft, we have made some substantial changes to our lines and the people responsible for them. I for one can't wait to see what Feeley nad Gordon are capable of behind an improved O-line, and what Carter and Holiday will add to our pass rush abilities. I have a feeling that JT is going to get a lot more looks at the QB, from either spot he plays. I think whoever we draft will be icing on the cake that WH has baked up for us fans durring this offseason. Anyone else have any feelings on what we have already done with the team and how / where we are improved without drrafting a single soul?

Yeah I agree, with all the adversity that happend in Miami last year with RW leaving, hurricanes, and injuries. I think we are going into this year with a pretty good team. Whoever we draft is going to just be an improvement to a position. I will be happy with whatever we do with our 2nd pick within reason. As long as we take a QB, RB, or WR.

UltraDol-Fan said:
Barring any injuries I think we made a great deal of progress this offseason

I hate to even think about that (shudder, quiver). The first thing that creeps into my mind when someone mentions injuries is Yatil Green.

On that note, I wonder how Gordon's rehab has been going. I can't wait to see what he is capable of (assuming he even gets the chance).

Phinadict said:

That is teh question isnt it? with a better o-line and a decnt ground game (One the defense actually cares about defensing), then I believe AJ will have much more success.

People want to point out stats, which is my biggest beef. stats are numbers, but dont tell teh whole story of how the numbers came in to fruition. Yes many ints were solely on AJ, his complete fault. Yes his completion percentage, he played a part in that. But when receivers fall down running roiutes or run teh wrong routes, then it isnt all AJs fault, yet he gets the stat. People for AJ will point to this as a defense of AJ, people against aAJ will say the majority were hsi fault so the stats can be claimed as teh whole story. Well when it is a perspective diff, then the truth is probably in teh middle and the final determination is in teh air.

The true answer to this question is it is unknown. There are signs that point both ways, good and bad. That is the big unknown, which ay would his talent turn? That to me is the biggest reason why people want to move in a diff direction, because it is such an unknown.

My thing is these 2 qbs are almost as big of an unknown. SOme NFL teams and scouts think very highly of these 2 qbs, some grade them as late first type grades. There is no general consensus, which to me says there is greater bust risk for were we are drafting. Some say well all qbs have had questions. Yep, but none that led to a Peyton Manning getting a late first grade. David Carrs grade was never lower than a top ten, no GM came out and said if they were drafting Carr, Mannings, Elway etc, that they wouldnt take them in the top 5. Everyone agreed they were top ten, top five picks. That consensus is not there with these 2. Which ia why I am saying drafting a qb isnt a slam dunk.

I do think there is a real possibility we do go qb. I am not unhappy about it either as some may think. I think Saban has done his homework, is a reputable talent evaluator and if he deems qb teh pick, he says that based on what is there throughout, qb is teh best value. It doesnt mean he thinks these qbs are sure fire prospects as some want to believe it means. Look at some of his comments, like QB's "have a 30 percent succes rate" when taken in teh first. Or when he said " do you see a Robert Gallery or Julius peppers type pick there at #2?" "Who is there at #2 that carries that grade?" Plus the widely reported issue Saban wants to trade out of that position doesnt say to me that these 2 qbs are gotta have guys.

I like AJ, but if either of these 2 are Manning type qbs, Elway, Carr etc, then I want that qb. But everything I hear says there are too many diff opinions out there from the experts that says there are questions. Those TYPES of questions are concerning to me at #2.

lauderdale said:
32 7/8-inch arm length … 9 1/8-inch hands

Vernon Carey

YEAH...well, according to Saban...1 charateristic that a OL player needs to have to succeed/have an advantage is at least a 32 inch arm length...so Carey fits that bill.

Thanks for the info.

Go Fins!!!

rickeyrunsover said:
That is teh question isnt it? with a better o-line and a decnt ground game (One the defense actually cares about defensing), then I believe AJ will have much more success.

People want to point out stats, which is my biggest beef. stats are numbers, but dont tell teh whole story of how the numbers came in to fruition. Yes many ints were solely on AJ, his complete fault. Yes his completion percentage, he played a part in that. But when receivers fall down running roiutes or run teh wrong routes, then it isnt all AJs fault, yet he gets the stat. People for AJ will point to this as a defense of AJ, people against aAJ will say the majority were hsi fault so the stats can be claimed as teh whole story. Well when it is a perspective diff, then the truth is probably in teh middle and the final determination is in teh air.

The true answer to this question is it is unknown. There are signs that point both ways, good and bad. That is the big unknown, which ay would his talent turn? That to me is the biggest reason why people want to move in a diff direction, because it is such an unknown.

My thing is these 2 qbs are almost as big of an unknown. SOme NFL teams and scouts think very highly of these 2 qbs, some grade them as late first type grades. There is no general consensus, which to me says there is greater bust risk for were we are drafting. Some say well all qbs have had questions. Yep, but none that led to a Peyton Manning getting a late first grade. David Carrs grade was never lower than a top ten, no GM came out and said if they were drafting Carr, Mannings, Elway etc, that they wouldnt take them in the top 5. Everyone agreed they were top ten, top five picks. That consensus is not there with these 2. Which ia why I am saying drafting a qb isnt a slam dunk.

I do think there is a real possibility we do go qb. I am not unhappy about it either as some may think. I think Saban has done his homework, is a reputable talent evaluator and if he deems qb teh pick, he says that based on what is there throughout, qb is teh best value. It doesnt mean he thinks these qbs are sure fire prospects as some want to believe it means. Look at some of his comments, like QB's "have a 30 percent succes rate" when taken in teh first. Or when he said " do you see a Robert Gallery or Julius peppers type pick there at #2?" "Who is there at #2 that carries that grade?" Plus the widely reported issue Saban wants to trade out of that position doesnt say to me that these 2 qbs are gotta have guys.

I like AJ, but if either of these 2 are Manning type qbs, Elway, Carr etc, then I want that qb. But everything I hear says there are too many diff opinions out there from the experts that says there are questions. Those TYPES of questions are concerning to me at #2.

well written. Good arguments as well. I personally feel that Saban will look to a QB in the 2nd or 3rd (depending on how many picks we get for trade down/Surtain) to groom for future qb success. We have other needs at positions that are rated highly...

rickyruns, you make some great points, the the purpose of the post is to discuss what we can do with what we have in our pockets. Did we make enought improvements in the off-season to increase our offensive success? Given we have unknowns on the line, QB and RB, did we upgrade the other parts to imrpove the whole enough to improve from last year?

If we flashed back to July 2004 with the current coaching staff, I believe the team would have done much better. We were in total chaos from the start with the Marino thing, Ricky, Collier, Norv, Spielman's promotion...Wanny's demotion, inability to decide on a starting QB, etc. The whole operation was flawed as we all saw during the progression of the season. I felt we made strides when Bates took over, which leads me to think that with the staff in place now things would have been completely different. In my opinion, the team is in much better position now than last year and I would think that yes, at least now, we can actually grade these guys and not have to worry about coaching or other variables aside form their playing ability. I am confident that both the offensive and defensive system we use will be WAY better than anything Wanny could have dreamt. Add in the guys we've picked up through FA and more importantly, the guys we've released (Jay Fiedler) and we are a much better team.

Back
Top Bottom